THINGS NT'S DO THAT JUST DON'T MAKE SENSE!

Page 6 of 9 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

slave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 12:42 am

nurseangela wrote:
Fnord wrote:
LyraLuthTinu wrote:
.nurse angela, I'm pretty sure Fnord is operating on the assumption you may have [url=http:\\isnt.autistics.org\dsn-staff.html.]Staff personality disorder[/url].

[...]
No, he isn't. But thanks for the link!

Fnord, there's a difference between being "blunt" and being a bully. All you are is a bully and if you think that's something to be proud of then that's up to you. The best way to treat a bully is to ignore them. All you're really doing is making Aspie's look bad. You didn't break me. I know who my real friends are - and a good number are Aspie's who I'd do anything for. You'll never be blessed to know what a friendship like that with an NT is like because you choose to run off a person before you even get the chance to really know them. You're so busy in trying to break the other person down just in order to build yourself up. How is that working for you out in the real world? The good thing about what happened here is that I still like Aspie's. You're going to have your few bad apples, just like with NT's, but inside most people are good. So I'll probably be back at some point - to try and make new friends again. I just need to go recharge my batteries for awhile with my real friends.

Moderators, you can close this thread, if you choose, as I will not be answering it anymore.

I read this entire thread.
Fnord was not being a bully.
He doesn't need me or anyone else to defend him, of course, but you have been taking all of these comments about NT's as if they were comments about YOU....they are not.
I regard that as being inordinately self-focussed on your part, given the obvious context of the discussion.
You chose to adopt the perspective that you were in an adversarial situation....you were not.
Fnord NEVER addressed any of these comments to any individual.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 2:15 am

Thanks to everybody who supported me in this thread. I have posted the entire list in Random Discussion, and with a slightly modified title and disclaimer.

I doubt that nurseangela will be back. There are just too many people who stand together and point out her mistaken claims.

Otherwise, her behavior just don't make sense!

:lol:

WhiteGalacticWiz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jul 2015, 3:07 am

"I say we all hold hands and have one last midnight as brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal. "

-Rust Cohle

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2015, 11:45 am

What deal?

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

TheBadguy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jul 2015, 3:00 pm

Here's one that I cannot seem to understand or grasp. Making obligations with other people beforehand.

How hard is it to say, "Hey I am sorry I have prior engagements with The Bad Guy," instead of forcing me to rearrange our plans for the day?

AraleNorimaki

12 Jul 2015, 10:27 pm

I don't understand why some NT's insist on talking when there's nothing important to be said. I used to be a cashier and having to participate in small talk over and over again was the worst thing about it. I wasn't crazy about dress code, either. I couldn't understand how leaving my shirt untucked or wearing a hoodie with words on it prevented me from doing my job. Needless to say, I wasn't a model employee back then.

OverSeer
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jul 2015, 7:18 am

Disclaimer: This is something that an NT(Neurotypical) has done and is not done by the majority of the neurotypical population.(or at least I hope it's not), I have included this due to the great amazement and bewilderment (as well as confusion) that resulted from the particular NT's actions.

My Occupational Therapist (Assisting me with my Tactile sensitivities) once "played dress up" and pretended to be Neurodiverse for just over 15mins before he realised that I knew he was neurotypical. The particular Occupational therapist in question put on a checkered shirt, overalls and the weirdest glasses. He also done a "voice" that I can only describe as "Funny".

When he started to tell me that he was "different" I momentarily lost control over my emotions at which point he must have realised that I knew he was neurotypical because he started talking in his normal voice, He also stoped his pretend stimming, anyway he now wears a suit and has settled for "jerking" the car steering wheel while driving with the car gears up to high(so that the car "thumps"), He has tried to explain away the "thumping" clearly caused by the car gears being set to high by lying and saying the following.
Him: "It is caused by the torque converter" Me: "Torque Converter?" Him: "Yeah the metal spiral that sits in the roof of the car" Me: "Sure"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 10:06 am

Overseer: the person was being really stupid.

I don't think he/she meant harm. I just think he was trying to teach you some sort of lesson pertaining to "perception." He wanted you to be put in the "neurotypical" shoes, so to speak.

Very misguided, though.

Beau
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 7:28 pm

AraleNorimaki wrote:
I don't understand why some NT's insist on talking when there's nothing important to be said. I used to be a cashier and having to participate in small talk over and over again was the worst thing about it. I wasn't crazy about dress code, either. I couldn't understand how leaving my shirt untucked or wearing a hoodie with words on it prevented me from doing my job. Needless to say, I wasn't a model employee back then.

lol some people can't stand silence or maybe, what you consider mundane/trivial is important to someone else. Maybe you're the only social interaction he/she has that day. As for the dress code, you're right; your appearance does not hinder your skills. However, you represent a company, and how you portray yourself often reflects that company, so a level of professionalism is required at most businesses.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 6:33 pm

Sometimes it feels like they are attaching extra assumptions to every straw they can possibly grasp. It can be tiresome never being on the same page. Maybe this is, in part, how most people compensate for not using very precise grammar and vocabulary.

As strange as it might sound, when I'm reading a physics paper, for example, I think I can somehow empathize better because the authors and myself are very much on the same page about their material (the syntax is painstakingly clear), and I feel the same wonderment for their conclusions and the subject as I imagine they feel. That I can understand, and so far as I know, part of what I am feeling is empathy. But when I'm in an argument with someone, and they seem to be twisting my words before all of them are even out of my mouth, I just don't know how to empathize. I don't know how or why they are in whatever mental state they are in, and the general carelessness with which they think is an irritant.

Over time I've become better at not letting this on, and I've become better at feeling for people, although probably not with people. This I do in spite of this natural response of irritation, and there is a certain amount of guilt that I would condescend to them in my internal dialogue at that moment.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 6:37 pm

They assume that a general comment made in an unrelated conversation somehow applies to them.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 6:41 pm

OverSeer wrote:
Disclaimer: This is something that an NT(Neurotypical) has done and is not done by the majority of the neurotypical population.(or at least I hope it's not), I have included this due to the great amazement and bewilderment (as well as confusion) that resulted from the particular NT's actions.

My Occupational Therapist (Assisting me with my Tactile sensitivities) once "played dress up" and pretended to be Neurodiverse for just over 15mins before he realised that I knew he was neurotypical. The particular Occupational therapist in question put on a checkered shirt, overalls and the weirdest glasses. He also done a "voice" that I can only describe as "Funny".

When he started to tell me that he was "different" I momentarily lost control over my emotions at which point he must have realised that I knew he was neurotypical because he started talking in his normal voice, He also stoped his pretend stimming, anyway he now wears a suit and has settled for "jerking" the car steering wheel while driving with the car gears up to high(so that the car "thumps"), He has tried to explain away the "thumping" clearly caused by the car gears being set to high by lying and saying the following.
Him: "It is caused by the torque converter" Me: "Torque Converter?" Him: "Yeah the metal spiral that sits in the roof of the car" Me: "Sure"

That just sounds downright offensive, and I would have asked him if he was making light of me. "Checkered shirt, overalls and the weirdest glasses"... maybe some people do dress that way, but neurodiverse people are not a funny voiced, funny dressing caricature. They might think they can help with a cheap imitation like that, but until they can feel the kind of sensations that we do, it's impossible for them to even try imitating something they barely understand.

Even now we only have a list of more easily observable symptoms. Explanations for those symptoms, or any way to quantify or approximate the individual sensory differences, is way out on the horizon. So if an OT pretended to be like me, I would let him know that I'm basically ready to walk out the door.

selin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jul 2015, 4:45 pm

EugeniaSweetpea wrote:
Hi, well definitely the "lies".

Why do they say "How are you?" or "How is it going?" or "You ok?" when all they mean is "Hi" and then you have to answer "Fine or Ok, or the same" or some other rubbish that isn't true and then also ask "How are you?" but not mean it. Why can't we just say "Hi" or "Hello" and leave it at that?

And don't ask me how my weekend was, if you don't want to hear a detailed account of it.

And WHY is being in a relationship all about little lies??????????

Saying "I miss you, too" when in this moment you kind of don't, which doesn't mean that you no longer care, you do, of course, but right now I don't miss you, I will say "I miss you" , when I actually do.

Or looking forward to seeing you, whereas in fact you'd rather like to stay at home today and just be on your own.

I feel like I'm forced to lie constantly to not hurt my boyfriend's feelings and it makes me feel awful inside, it really does and it makes me unhappy, but I know that's what he needs to hear to feel, that I care and I just hate it.

Before we started going out, he gave me a cd with his music, he's a songwriter and asked me how I liked it and unfortunately, I was honest, I said "I think it's very good, but it's not really my thing, as I usually listen more to classical music." Also all this songs are so sad, you might want to slash your wrists at the end of the cd. (Ok, I know, I shouldn't have said that bit, but it just came out. ).

Obviously, what I should have said was "I think the cd is great and I have been listening to it non stop - it's great".

For the first year, he kept telling everybody, how I hated his music - when did I say that??? Wouldn't it have been worse, if I had said, well, it's my kind of music, but I think you are no good at it? Maybe it's the same thing for NT's?

Oh and how friendships work, how do they do it? Do they have an app? It all just seems to click and they get on and do stuff and seem happy and relaxed and it all makes sense to them and they want to meet up all the time and be on the phone and talk about....erm nothing really and that makes them happy.

Sorry, the last bit is of course exaggerated, but the friendship thing, yeah that really baffles me...

Rant over :wink:

hahaha I really relate to this. I have one friend that I have a pretty smooth close friendship with but the rest of my connections are quite awkward and I'm sort of crap at making an effort to see other friends.

I relate to other things you've said about lies and honesty and people misinterpreting your honesty as sugarcoating or 'white lies' and how baffling that is (your anecdote about your boyfriends music and him saying that you hated his music).
I'll give an example. When I was at secondary school my friend was annoyed with me because I couldn't tell that she felt left out of a conversation. I saw her sitting and drawing so I thought she was fine and occupied by that. She then said that she hated being alone and feeling lonely and has a fear of it. I said "oh I'm sorry. I think maybe you should speak to someone about that." After that she refused to speak to me and told the other girls that I'd told her she should see a psychiatrist. I thought "I never said psychiatrist!! !!" and felt really indignant. I only recently realised that she wasn't stirring trouble, she was simply interpreting what I was saying in that way. I suppose maybe I did pathologise what she said because I didn't relate to it but I also meant that she could speak to a parent...thinking about it now it just seems sort of funny and ridiculous. (I'm 24 now but was 14 at the time!)

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 7:14 pm

They are racist with lies. What makes a white lie better than a black one?

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

selin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2015, 4:06 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
They are racist with lies. What makes a white lie better than a black one?

Good point. Sorry, it's not a term I use, so that's why I used quotation marks

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 11:48 pm

I was joking.

They have a strange distrust of logic. Any reasoning involving more than one or two deductive steps looks unreliable to them and they will fall back to their prejudices or "gut feeling", which they deem much more trustworthy, always with a socially acceptable fallacious answer to make it look like you are the one being irrational. If you're lucky, you may be able to get them to agree you can make two by putting one and one together, but you won't convince them you can reach a thousand by adding ones. They just don't see it, so you're laughably wrong, and you'll probably be accused of trying to shove your mere opinion down their throats.

Once, a classmate asked me what week day a certain day of that month was, less than a week in the future. I didn't remember, but it was easy enough to count the days to find out, so I started doing it aloud. He immediately took it as a sign that he wouldn't get a reliable answer from me, so, before I could finish, he stopped paying attention and went ask someone else.

They probably believe the solution to any math, physics or chemistry problem depends solely on the teacher's whim, and necessarily so, as there's no such thing as facts or logical truths; only opinions. Facts are the opinions of the one in charge, and that's all. Therefore, if you get all the answers right, you must have cheated or be the teacher's sycophant.