Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 8:31 pm

I thought this was an interesting article. For some transgender, the reason for transition is defection: Society makes clear to them that having certain personality traits is unacceptabe in certain sexed bodies, which caues sex dysmorphia and prompts transition:

http://genderapostates.com/colonizers-v ... d-disgust/

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 10:33 pm

One thing I agree with in the article: dominance is not an inherently male trait. Empathy is not an inherently female trait.

I have long wished I was a woman but not because I am attracted to men or because I feel like a woman. Simply because I sort of think men are dicks, lol.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 10:58 pm

I had some curiosity on what kinds of things motivates these decisions and taking a look at some of the better-known transgender bloggers and Youtube hosts I got the impression that, hormonally speaking, a lot of them simply were not going to be able to scrape together a life as the gender that they were going to be born into and a lot of this had to do with hormonal changes when their primary features were coming into formation. That's not a criticism - it's the human spirit to self-actualize and they did the math. Add to that when their emotions and general sense of self is right along with their hormonal development there's just a fee and a clinic trip between them and what they fundamentally knew that they were (X or Y chromosome not withstanding). This jumped out at me particularly with the MTF who I would never be able to guess were anything but women if I ran into them on the street. It might be seen as insensitive to say that they're making lemonade out of lemons (denoting a rough starting point) but if you're 3/4 of the way there the last quarter of the jump doesn't seem like an irrational move at all.

Especially looking at bone structure and physical features. Andrej Pejic often jokes that he gets hit on by straight guys, even without makeup it wouldn't shock me. If I ran into Bailey Jay, unless I instantly recognized, I'd have no clue that I was talking someone who wasn't born female under most circumstances.

This is where we might have to consider that I-experience-level gender identity is hormonal, and, we might really have to consider - as the OP suggested - that our culture's level of caustic criticism and passing of litmus tests across genders is just one more motivator. I also can't argue that some people might just be giving a middle finger to the world and saying don't classify me - I'm consciousness in a body and I'll do whatever I dam n well please.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin