I have no professional references.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Patrick64
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jun 2015, 9:11 am

I never asked any former bosses, teachers, etc if I can use them as a reference, and I am filling out an application that requires references. What can I put on on the references page that will help me get the job?

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2015, 11:11 am

Mother/Fathers friend at work, most recent tutor/teacher or course leader, councillor. Try and bribe your jobcentre advisor into giving you a reference if you're that desperate.

carthago
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2015, 1:04 am

Ideally you would put professionals that are 1) not related to you and 2) have known you consistently for the last 3 years (some employers ask for 5 years). In reality, the chance of them actually calling these people up depends on the nature of the job you're applying for. Any job that gives you access to sensitive information or makes you an officer with some kind of executive authority, they'll check your references. If you're applying to a federal agency (and some state agencies), they'll go as far as sending investigators to interview everyone you know (and some you don't). Other than that, the chance of them actually checking is pretty slim--and most jobs fall into this category.
So what should you put? Just put the names of people at past jobs that you think probably liked you.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 2:45 am

You don't have to ask your former bosses if you can list them as a job reference. It's a given that you will. They check former jobs anyway. When jobs want references after you have given them your previous employment, they are mainly looking for something along the lines of character references. Maybe you could call list someone who led a group you were involved in, or your clergy if you are religious, you could list friends you have known for a while but not your peers really, older people with good jobs who like you and can say you are a good person and responsible and probably a good worker. They are wanting to see who you know. Call the people you are going to list and ask if you can use them for a reference that you need other than former bosses. Most will say yes. Most references aren't really checked, but you need to list professional people you know. When I was young, I listed my mothers friends from work. All upper management like her. When I got older I listed professional people I knew who were a rung or three above me on the food chain of employment. The doctor who helped me run the political action committee I started, a senator who gave my son a Resolution in the senate for something he did, a prominent person here, a good ole boy there, thats what they want to see, not who you hang out with on weekends. Personal references on a job application are your chance to impress and name drop. Check with these people first! I cannot say it enough! You don't have to check with former bosses or your clergy but you DO have to check with these others. The better and higher status person you list, the better your chances. Sad but true.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com