How do you act around someone you're interested in?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CoffinCrawler
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jun 2015, 6:39 pm

This could be someone you know well or not at all. What are some of the "signs" you exhibit?

As a female, I notice that around someone I don't know well who I am interested in I tend to want to hide or run away whenever they enter the same room I'm in. For example, if I'm at a store or at school and that person enters, I tend to hide myself behind a wall or I'll have my body facing away from that person. Occasionally I will shoot quick glances at the person, but they're so quick that the person doesn't even notice. There's a part of me that wants this person to notice and then another part of me that wants to remain invisible. I have difficulty figuring out how much staring is appropriate.

When it comes to someone I know at an acquaintance level that I'm interested in, I'll start to feel comfortable with some eye contact but I still have problems feeling comfortable with prolonged staring unless they're staring at me first. I'm always afraid of being seen as "creepy" or "obsessive" though unfortunately this can also mean that I appear uninterested. :?

I would like to know how everyone else acts in similar situation.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Jun 2015, 8:50 pm

I try to talk to them to get to know them & be their supportive friend.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Beau
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 1:12 am

Hey CoffinCrawler.

Signs: I don't necessarily talk more; rather, I get giggly, goofy, and tend to blush more.

Subjekt_9
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jun 2015, 1:21 am

I joke and smile a lot, but am VERY clumsy. More so than usual any way.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 5:58 am

I try to "steal" glances from them. I'm not afraid to initiate it, but I'm quite observant if they reciprocate or not. If they reciprocate, I just continue looking at them from time to time to check their persistence. If they don't reciprocate, I'll move on and try somebody else. I think as many as 1 out of 10 women will reciprocate. Some will not be interested, so will only reciprocate one or two times and then stop.

As for how long to look, you will eventually learn this from experience (but it seemed like I knew this naturally already in my teens). How long to wait between looks also needs to be learned, and in my experience, if you take to long between looks they will typically lose interest (if you look to often you come out as creepy).

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 2:50 pm

I get super super shy.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 4:54 pm

If a female is hitting on me, I just keep going my way and pretend nothing happened. However, if a female is nice enough in a non-sexual way, I try to maintain a conversation with her, even though I always have trouble maintaining eye contact.

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 10:26 pm

When I was younger, I would avoid them, get very nervous when I was close to them, say stupid things (the words didn't seem to come out of my mouth right), or flat out freeze up when they spoke to me.

Now that I am older, I am much better at speaking to women (even very attractive women), and I usually only get embarrased, shy away, or avoid them, if they are being too forward/pushy with me.

autismthinker21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 10:51 pm

I never had to chase women. I did it for amusement. Now for me I cant really ask a woman to get In my pants, that would screw it up. It's not like I need to get into their body and get all crazy. Its very funny that I can't even get one single woman to date or if I do, things get way to abnormal.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 12:10 am

I tended to do The Look with strangers (say at a bar or similar). It has worked a treat in the past, and basically my ability to do this has led to much more success in the dating world than I otherwise would have had.

From http://community.sparknotes.com/2010/01/05/auntie-sparknotes-how-to-flirt-part-1-the-look:

Quote:
Most of us just aren't comfortable walking up to a cute stranger, out of the blue, and saying, “Hi, what's your name?” (If you are, you probably don't need this guide. Get out of here.) Fortunately, there are other ways of initiating contact with someone you're interested in. If you don't know your flirtee (or don't know him well) The Look is the first way to signal your interest—and also, to gauge his interest in you.

To catch somebody's eye from across the room—in class, at the pool, in jail, wherever—try to let him catch you looking at him. Every so often, allow your gaze to drift over the room and settle briefly on your flirtee. If he looks back at you, meet his eye for just a moment—about as long as it would take you to quickly say the word “Mississippi”—smile a little, and then break the eye contact and look down.

With people I actually know, I've tended not to do much due to being too self-conscious. Similarly to Beau, I would blush more around them. So rather than doing deliberate actions to attract them, I'd try to ask them out on a date-like activity, where I could feel more comfortable being flirtatious.

autismthinker21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 12:16 am

OK I am ignored. Oh Well out the door I go.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 5:06 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
I tended to do The Look with strangers (say at a bar or similar). It has worked a treat in the past, and basically my ability to do this has led to much more success in the dating world than I otherwise would have had.

From http://community.sparknotes.com/2010/01/05/auntie-sparknotes-how-to-flirt-part-1-the-look:
Quote:
Most of us just aren't comfortable walking up to a cute stranger, out of the blue, and saying, “Hi, what's your name?” (If you are, you probably don't need this guide. Get out of here.) Fortunately, there are other ways of initiating contact with someone you're interested in. If you don't know your flirtee (or don't know him well) The Look is the first way to signal your interest—and also, to gauge his interest in you.

To catch somebody's eye from across the room—in class, at the pool, in jail, wherever—try to let him catch you looking at him. Every so often, allow your gaze to drift over the room and settle briefly on your flirtee. If he looks back at you, meet his eye for just a moment—about as long as it would take you to quickly say the word “Mississippi”—smile a little, and then break the eye contact and look down.

With people I actually know, I've tended not to do much due to being too self-conscious. Similarly to Beau, I would blush more around them. So rather than doing deliberate actions to attract them, I'd try to ask them out on a date-like activity, where I could feel more comfortable being flirtatious.

Thanks for sharing that quote. That's the first time I've ever seen it described properly. However, in my experience, this is far from a human universal as the site claims. NT women typically won't flirt like that.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 7:03 am

I have to know someone to be interested in him so strangers are not an option.
With acquaintances I do "the look" mentioned above.
With friends I take my every chance to talk with them or just stand near them and I smile like an idiot when I see them.
And with someone I really like-like I stare at them whenever they are talking (even when the listen to someone I still stare at them, not at the one speaking), take any chance to touch them (for example taking a piece of dust of their jacket) and protect/care of them (making sure they get home safely, asking if they are not cold etc). The fun thing is noone realizes how I feel even then... they think I am just acting that way because I am their friend... They act surprised when I finally decide to confess. :|

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 8:22 am

Kiriae wrote:
I have to know someone to be interested in him so strangers are not an option.
With acquaintances I do "the look" mentioned above.

I might do it with people I know and like, but I prefer doing it with strangers.

Kiriae wrote:
With friends I take my every chance to talk with them or just stand near them and I smile like an idiot when I see them.
And with someone I really like-like I stare at them whenever they are talking (even when the listen to someone I still stare at them, not at the one speaking), take any chance to touch them (for example taking a piece of dust of their jacket) and protect/care of them (making sure they get home safely, asking if they are not cold etc). The fun thing is noone realizes how I feel even then... they think I am just acting that way because I am their friend... They act surprised when I finally decide to confess. :|

Strange, but I'm not surprised. I've only recently observed these things, so if somebody would do this on me now, I would know what it means.

Also strange that several aspie males that have posted in the thread seems to have no idea about this. OTOH, that seems to fit with my experience that many women are not used to this, and when subjected to it will be really curious even if they really do not fancy me a lot.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 9:05 pm

rdos wrote:
Thanks for sharing that quote. That's the first time I've ever seen it described properly. However, in my experience, this is far from a human universal as the site claims. NT women typically won't flirt like that.

Well they should, it works extraordinarily well! ;)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 5:19 am

I flash my feather tail.