what was your first memorable aspie moment?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Clueless_Rhino
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Mar 2007, 11:05 pm

When I was young, but well old enough to walk and know better, I forgot to take off my socks before I stepped into the bath tub to take a bath.
When I was older I dismantled my mom's alarm clock. She was in the Army and needed it to wake up at 5:30 am the next morning. She saw all the many pieces and flipped. I told her I could put it back together again. I did, and the alarm started going off when it was supposed to, again.
When I was in High school I was in ROTC and that day I had to wear my ROTC uniform with Jacket. I forgot to wear a bra. I didn't want to embarrass myself so I kept my jacket on even though it was a hot day, it was before there was air conditioner in schools and I had sweat dripping from my face. Everyone else in ROTC class had their jacket off and draped across the back of their chairs.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2007, 11:07 pm

bizmack wrote:
although i dont remeber the exact age,i was somewhere in between the ages of 8-10 and i had this really wierd tic that was similar to turreates(spell check). I would sputter three foul words and humm afterwards then return to whatever compulsive ritual of the day. Usually drawing superheros and observing my surroundings. I really didnt understand until about a year ago that tic's were associated with AS, in a two month period of research i linked the two and self diagnosed myself as being an aspie. Regardless of the fact it proved to be odd and pervasive enough for my parents to put me in remedial classes because they thought i was slow. Soon after blowing through every class they really didnt know what was wrong so they put me back in a regular class again.
i went through most of my time up into my early teens odd and insecure about telling anyone up until the point i had supressed it from my mind. i am now 26 and those events of my youth did not become relevant until a year ago. its kind of funny how the brain works sometimes. its very funny how our brains work all the time. even to this day it scares me a little to recite those three ritualistic words and humm in fear that i may again not be able to restrain the need to speak them to the world.
go figure....well at least i can say i draw well now and have taken up psychology...
that aspie moment may have possibly been the defining moment of my future....

Just a comment: If the teacher allows you to relax and be yourself, and makes the class's requirements clear and attainable, most classes are easy.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2007, 11:20 pm

As I was badly abused, my memory has kindly declined to allow recall of much of my youth.

I am told that at about age 3 I asked the pastor a question about his sermon.

I recall that when another child came back to my announcement that the airplane flying over was a turboprop with this: "A turtleprop!" I was disgusted and angry. About age six.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

euphrosyne
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Mar 2007, 12:06 am

My first Aspie memories that I have are refusing to participate in group music and dance activities at my pre-school and hiding under the tables so I would not have to be involved with the other kids.
I also remember being taken out of class often to see a psychiatrist when I was in kindergarden because I wouldn't talk or socialize.

Beammeup
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2007, 1:22 am

Prior to pre-school. My Mother holding my hand and excitidly telling everyone in the room how well I could read an anolog clock.

Around the same time there was a social situation that I was observing -- two young boys fighting. I cocked my head like a dazed puppy-dog while asking myself questions like: Why are they doing that? What's the purpose? No emotion, no empathy for the one that might be getting hurt. I felt like an observer from another planet.