Do you get accused of being an attention seeker?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 11:56 am

It happens to me very often. People in real life and on Facebook keep telling to stop begging for attention. I am not actually begging for anything.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 12:00 pm

Funny thing is humans in general are attention seekers...

What kind of things do you post on facebook? and do these people like comment on your posts saying that...and are they people you know IRL or just online? As for IRL is it your family saying this, people at school you know or what.

Seriously though someone on facebook hardly has room to tell someone to stop begging for attention for posting something...when they probably post all kinds of stuff hoping for views and likes which is seeking attention from other people. Not sure how to perhaps get them to knock it off exactly...but maybe take some solace in the fact they are being gigantic hypocrites.

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 12:12 pm

I am accused of this only by non-family peers whom I know in real life.
On Facebook I post casual comments, just like the NTs.
However, normal people seem to have the right to be attention whores. I used to be clasmates with a super-extroverted guy who always makes a fool out himself. He is liked and socially accepted. He is never called an attention begger. He is NT, so he has the right to be an idiot.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 12:35 pm

Sometimes. But more often I get accused of not seeking enough attention. IE being too quiet.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 1:16 pm

I used to be a member on another forum and I would always get called an attention seeker.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 12:03 pm

I kind of am. It seems like some of the things I want to do are considered attention seeking behaviors. Talking about my problems is one of those things. Coloring my hair unnatural colors is another.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 12:16 pm

I have on a chatroom before meant as an outreach for help. Yeah, it was basically a huge circlejerk of the people who regularly go there trying to get rid of the new people. It became some kind of hangout in which they'd mock anyone trying to get help.

I can't think of any examples before that though.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 12:54 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
I kind of am. It seems like some of the things I want to do are considered attention seeking behaviors. Talking about my problems is one of those things. Coloring my hair unnatural colors is another.

Oh dear god, what on earth kind of therapist/counselor are you going to...next they will be telling you any form of self expression whatsoever is 'unhealthy attention seeking'. As if dying hair is such a terribly strange thing to do.... :roll:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 12:57 pm

Cockroach96 wrote:
I am accused of this only by non-family peers whom I know in real life.
On Facebook I post casual comments, just like the NTs.
However, normal people seem to have the right to be attention whores. I used to be clasmates with a super-extroverted guy who always makes a fool out himself. He is liked and socially accepted. He is never called an attention begger. He is NT, so he has the right to be an idiot.

Hmm well I'd say maybe remove people from your friends list who make those comments, and/or block them so they can't comment your posts...or you can set your posts to be seen by friends only, so just people you choose to see it can. But yeah it seems like they're just trying to be bullies and bother you...more attention seeking on their part it appears.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 1:12 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

Oh dear god, what on earth kind of therapist/counselor are you going to...next they will be telling you any form of self expression whatsoever is 'unhealthy attention seeking'. As if dying hair is such a terribly strange thing to do.... :roll:

I'm talking about people on the internet.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 1:57 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

I'm talking about people on the internet.

Internet psychoanalysts, they can be annoying....and certainly not worth listening to, how would they know why you want to dye your hair?

pirrouline
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jun 2015, 2:27 pm

I've had attention issues for many years. If you have the urge to get attention in fleeting, superficial ways, it is probably because you're not getting the personal validation that you need in a healthy way - that is, through emotional intimacy with other people. I had a few friends as a kid, but around the time that friendships switch from activity-based to emotionally intimate, I missed something and haven't had any close friendships since then. That's why when I was a teenager, I became fixated on getting positive feedback by performing and developing an interesting appearance and style, since my personality didn't seem to be good for anything. I also make esoteric jokes and comments often, hoping that someone will be curious and ask me to talk about an interest, but it usually doesn't work that way and is just seen as obnoxious. I'm embarrassed about my attention-seeking, but I've never been able to "tone it down" for long, because if I'm not having any other satisfying social interaction, it just makes the impulse to act out for attention come back stronger. It's very ingrained in my personality now.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Jul 2015, 5:28 pm

I got accused of that on forums when I was suffering from a sever depression & was posting about things to sort things out & vent.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 5:46 pm

Never ever

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 5:46 pm

Attention seeking.. the cliche, socially acceptable term used by the jelly to vent their emotion.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 8:20 pm

No I don't get accused of that. Probably because I'm rather reclusive. I do seek attention sometimes, but I use honest ways, such as politely asking cafe proprietors if they'd like me to perform music at their venues. I don't go where I'm not wanted. I think what people mean by an "attention seeker" is somebody who gets in their faces or uses hype to get people to take notice of them when they don't really have anything worth paying attention to.