Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

oharris1997
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2015, 4:59 am

I have never met or talked to anyone who loves harry potter the same as I do? Please post with harry potter love

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 5:06 am

I'm a fan of Harry Potter, although I prefer the books to the movies. The movies left so much out of the story that I never would have made sense of any of it if I didn't already know the story from the books.
The dog in my avatar is my little poodle. His name is Hagrid.

oharris1997
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2015, 5:16 am

Same here! The books are a lot better than the films which did leave out so much crucial stuff! Especially the goblet of fire which I my favourite book but least favourite film. Your dog looks really cute and I love the name! Do you have a favourite book?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 6:04 am

I'm a HUGE fan of Harry Potter, and started THIS thread:

http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=260942

You should join us, on there----I'm always wishing I had someone to play with.....

I was a bit obsessed, when the books / movies came-out (hence, my avatar)----I, TOO, was more a fan of the books----but, my enthusiasm has waned a bit; but, only because all the talk about it, has died-down. (JK Rowling is making a Broadway [?] play about something to do with Harry Potter----or, maybe a stage play, in London.)

I've read each of the books several times----I used to read the entire series, leading up to the new book's release----and, I've read them, probably, once-a-year, since then (maybe, not that much----but, close to it).

I agree that the movies were disappointing----especially, when Richard Harris died (again, the reason for my avatar); he was THEE most perfect Dumbledore----EVERYTHING was "right"; his interpretation of the role (acting), his costume, his carriage..... Michael Gambon was PATHETIC!! That stupid string on his beard drives me NUTS (I heard that was done cuz Michael didn't like the beard----he said it got in his way, all-the-time. Well, it SHOULDN'T have BEEN, about HIM (Michael Gambon)----it SHOULD have been, about DUMBLEDORE----which was apparent, in Richard Harris' acting, IMO. Michael Gambon didn't even seem to be TRYING----he seemed to just be "phoning it in"! !

Anyway.....

I'm, at least, as big a fan as any KID----if not, BIGGER----and, would regularly be disappointed that all the contests, where, for instance, you write something about Harry and win a trip to the set, were always only open to kids. I was a member of a Harry Potter forum site, at-the-time, that was almost ALL adults----I can't understand, for the LIFE of me, why someone didn't think to have an adult contest!! We gave just as much publicity / support, as ANY kid!!

The first two books / movies were my favorite (I haven't seen the movies passed 5). The sixth book, wasn't so great----the first two chapters were, pretty much, a waste of ink and paper, IMO. The last book was a little ridiculous----all that time camping, and not really doing anything, and Ron was a prat; but, I CAN see why it, sort-of, had to be dragged-out, like that----I especially liked Harry's visit to his parent's graves / home----and, of course, Dobby dying, sucked. I didn't particularly care for Bill marrying Fleur----but, she sorta turned-out alright; and, of course, Lupin, Tonks, and Fred (? I get Fred and George, mixed-up) dying, was a bummer. Mrs. Weasley taking-down Bellatrix, was BEYOND COOL!! The Weasleys were my favorites----I wanted to BE a Weasley!! I totally loved Ginny, cuz she had "fight", in 'er ("Bat Boogey" hex, LOL).

Some of my other favorite characters (aside from the main 3): Professors McGonagall, Dumbledore, Horace (what was his last name?----the one that took-over Potions, when Snape got DADA)----and, even Prof. Trelawny. Also, I liked the school nurse (Madam Pomfrey?); and, Hagrid, of course (skrewts, LOL). I also like Angeline Johnson, Luna Lovegood, of course, Neville Longbottom; Nearly Headless Nick, Sir Cadogan (? the knight) was funny, always wantin' to fight everbody; I like the Fat Lady, played by Dawn French, in the movie. Geez, I can't think of everybody, right now..... Oh, I LOVED Jason Issacs (? I THINK that's his name) interpretation of Malfoy, Sr.----I think he was FABULOUS; and, as much as I couldn't stand "Ol' Toad Face", I thought Imelda Staunton's interpretation, was BRILLIANT!! I, of course, liked Sirius in the books, but, not-so-much in the films----but, there really wasn't enough time for what's-his-name, to do a real good job, with that.....

Oh, geez----I could just go on, and on.....

oharris1997
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2015, 9:31 am

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on the subject of Michael Gambon as, even though Richard Harris was the perfect Dumbledore for the first 2 films where Dumbledore is more of a fatherly figure for harry, I believe Gambon took the role of a more ruthless and serious Dumbledore that guides harry but does not baby him.
My favourite character my far, in the books and films, is Severus Snape. Pretending to be the bad guy but also having to pretend to be the good guy must take some serious depth of character. Over the years he did such a good job of disliking harry but also protecting him due to his love for lily and hatred of James. And in the end it was he that allowed harry to get rid of the horcrux inside of him but in doing so also shows harry, from his memories, that he had always loved lily and therefore cared for harry. My favourite chapter of all the books has to be The Prince's Tale. However I don't believe they did this chapter justice in the film.

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 12:54 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I've read each of the books several times----I used to read the entire series, leading up to the new book's release----and, I've read them, probably, once-a-year, since then (maybe, not that much----but, close to it).

I used to do that, too every time a new book was released. I still read the series now and then again, but not that often.

Campin_Cat wrote:
I agree that the movies were disappointing----especially, when Richard Harris died (again, the reason for my avatar); he was THEE most perfect Dumbledore----EVERYTHING was "right"; his interpretation of the role (acting), his costume, his carriage..... Michael Gambon was PATHETIC!! That stupid string on his beard drives me NUTS (I heard that was done cuz Michael didn't like the beard----he said it got in his way, all-the-time. Well, it SHOULDN'T have BEEN, about HIM (Michael Gambon)----it SHOULD have been, about DUMBLEDORE----which was apparent, in Richard Harris' acting, IMO. Michael Gambon didn't even seem to be TRYING----he seemed to just be "phoning it in"! !

Yes, I agree with you here. I really miss the "first" Dumbledore. Maybe part of it was that he even looked more like the Dumbledore I imagined when I read the books.

Campin_Cat wrote:
The first two books / movies were my favorite (I haven't seen the movies passed 5).

In my opinion the movies got worse over the time. I liked the first two movies, the third and fourth were okay (also I was disappointed how many of my favourite scenes were not in the movie), but the 5. and 6. movie were not really good anymore (I can not judge how a person who hasn´t read the books would see it, but for me it was just too different and I didn´t like that). The last two movies were okay again, but still not as good as the first movies.

Campin_Cat wrote:
Some of my other favorite characters (aside from the main 3): Professors McGonagall, Dumbledore, Horace (what was his last name?----the one that took-over Potions, when Snape got DADA)----and, even Prof. Trelawny.

The last name of Horace is Slughorn.