Are you more likely to be lonely in the summer?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 6:04 pm

Summer is much harder for me. All the regular contact I have with people is over since it is based on the school-year schedule.

I rarely get invited to things which puts all the effort in my lap to see anyone, which is hard for me. At the same time, I see all the extra reports on Facebook of other people out and about with friends because they HAVE SOME. Makes me a little envious...

I also have a little bit more trouble getting myself going because I don't have the pressure of an external schedule put on me. It's not so bad now as when I was younger. I would waste so many summer days mentally wandering about.

I do like getting out hiking and biking more, though.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

21 Aug 2015, 11:31 pm

I feel the same way. No one from school is around to hang out with me or to say hi, because they are all off on their wonderful vacations. And never invite me.
I have a very small amount of activities that I can do over the summer. Go to the library - which I never see anyone from my school there. Go to the park - which half of it is a swampy watery mess (due to bad maintenance) and the other half is gated up due to construction; sit at home on the computer and gain more weight; take the bus into downtown; and sometimes, beg - which doesn't work.
The only things I have done this summer is go to Seattle for my parent's doctor's appointment (and then come back home almost immediately), watch 4th of July fireworks, and go to a local baseball game (surprisingly, with a friend!!) I just feel mad that I have wasted almost all of my 75-day summer vacation. I love to travel, but it costs me and my parents an arm and a leg to get out of the house and leave our city, due to a 27-year-old car and other costs.
This was I believe the worst summer vacation in terms of traveling and exploring, in about 6 years. Last year was much better. I got to go on 3 hikes in the Cascades with my best friend - whom I have not even taken one hike with this whole summer...and we have 3 1/2 days of vacation left. Some of it due to an injury in his family, some of it due to not replying to my emails.
And by the way, I wouldn't bunch up with 100 people and party - if I had unlimited money, I'd be taking a road trip throughout the country. I love seeing new places.

(And yes, I am autistic, not NT. Summer vacation is supposed to be fun because you aren't in school, but that doesn't happen :( I would LOVE to make it up in 2016.)

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 7:46 am

Summer is the opposite for me.

I have an increased number of social, one-on-one interactions. It's terrifying.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2015, 7:49 am

I am lonely in the summer, but that means I get to do what I want!

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 12:35 pm

Cockroach96 wrote:
I love holidays, especially the summer break. During holidays, I don't have to deal with my NT peers. I can stay at home all day playing video games and watching TV.

Exactly. I have always loved holidays; free to do whatever I want. When I was in school, all the holidays were seriously what I lived for. I was bored in school and never felt it was anything but a waste of time. I loved every day I was off. During summer I never saw anyone from school, which was exactly the way I liked it. I would say "out of sight, out of mind", except they weren't often on my mind when they were in sight either :lol:
I've never been bored or lonely; I had (have) my family, I had my pets and I had (have) my interests, which were (are) how I wanted (want) to spend my days IRL.

If I had been employed, I'd love them even more now than I already do, but as it is, I still enjoy holidays a lot as it means seeing more to my family while many neighbors are away. It's wonderful :D
Too bad it always comes to an end. Time sure flies as you get older :(

Campin_Cat wrote:
No, I don't get lonely in the summer----but, if anything, I sorta get "cabin fever", cuz I can't STAND the HEAT; so, I stay inside more.

I wish we had AC here. It gets so hot indoors (and I'm def an indoors sorta person), in summer the temperature in our apartment will usually stay between 25-29 C for the duration of the summer (plus some time to cool off). This summer we got a relief as it got colder, but now the temperature is up again, with constant 25 C indoors and I'm so uncomfortable in this heat. I want it down to 20-21 C. Those few degrees make an enormous difference.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 2:01 pm

^ Me, too. I love holidays because I don't need to deal with all the horrible people at work (or at school when I was a kid).

I am more aware of my solitude in summer as I do get reminded that I am absolutely alone around Christmas and New Year.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 2:07 pm

Yes, I feel really lonely in Summer. I want to go out and do things with people, but I don't have anyone to go with. I rarely get invited anywhere. It's worse in Summer.

In winter I don't want to go anywhere anyway, so don't feel like I'm missing out.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Aug 2015, 10:21 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
Cockroach96 wrote:
I love holidays, especially the summer break. During holidays, I don't have to deal with my NT peers. I can stay at home all day playing video games and watching TV.

Exactly. I have always loved holidays; free to do whatever I want. When I was in school, all the holidays were seriously what I lived for. I was bored in school and never felt it was anything but a waste of time. I loved every day I was off. During summer I never saw anyone from school, which was exactly the way I liked it. I would say "out of sight, out of mind", except they weren't often on my mind when they were in sight either :lol:
I've never been bored or lonely; I had (have) my family, I had my pets and I had (have) my interests, which were (are) how I wanted (want) to spend my days IRL.

If I had been employed, I'd love them even more now than I already do, but as it is, I still enjoy holidays a lot as it means seeing more to my family while many neighbors are away. It's wonderful :D
Too bad it always comes to an end. Time sure flies as you get older :(

Campin_Cat wrote:
No, I don't get lonely in the summer----but, if anything, I sorta get "cabin fever", cuz I can't STAND the HEAT; so, I stay inside more.

I wish we had AC here. It gets so hot indoors (and I'm def an indoors sorta person), in summer the temperature in our apartment will usually stay between 25-29 C for the duration of the summer (plus some time to cool off). This summer we got a relief as it got colder, but now the temperature is up again, with constant 25 C indoors and I'm so uncomfortable in this heat. I want it down to 20-21 C. Those few degrees make an enormous difference.

I relate to alot of this.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2015, 10:40 pm

I feel more lonely because it's the time of the year where people spend more of their time outside having fun, e.g. beach, parties, camping, etc..

Even my family relatives are rarely home compared to me in the summer, they're all on vacation or out doing something. I'm trying to find groups and sports to meet new people this year. I do go out but am always alone unless with family or limited amount of friends, it can be a depression time for us..