TV Land pulls Dukes of Hazzard reruns over Confederate Flag!

Page 6 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 2:37 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
You see the flag a whole lot down here. There are some Southern blacks and Southern whites as well who see it as a symbol of racism but most don't. If the flag was so offensive to Southern black people then why isn't there always a big stink when you see it? Why isn't it vandalized? Why don't people who wear it get their ass kicked by those who believe it means they are racists? Why hasn't it been a huge issue down here? You can bet your bottom dollar that if somebody wore something with the Klan on it they would get their ass kicked. If somebody flew the Nazi flag or a flag with something to do with the Klan on it then it would be torn down, torn up, burned, etc. There would be a huge stink every time the flag was seen in public if the majority of people down here thought of it the way Northerners think of it. Race and racial insults and offense are still a sore spot down here. It's something that people do try to avoid upsetting the apple cart on because we are aware of our history and don't want to give that impression. There are some racists who want to give that impression but most people aren't racists. A lot of the Southerners who are against the flag do understand that it doesn't stand for racism to most people now and it means much more than the Old South and the slavery of the Confederacy, but they want to distance themselves from anything that will give Northerners the idea that we are still racist.

So let me ask you this, why is it a much bigger issue up North than it is down here, and why is anybody even safe flying or wearing it if it's always meant to be such a huge symbol of racism and oppression? Could it be that it's not taken that way by most people down here, and it's only taken that way by Northerners? Northerners who btw don't really have any reason to fly or wear the flag except being Skynerd fans or for a hate group that co-opted it.

Ask yourself that question and answer it please. Why is it even flown or shown without huge repercussions? Sure it happens sometimes but if it were seen down here the way it is up North then those repercussions would happen every single time. Also, you wouldn't have a ton of Southerners who are not racist by any means who defend the right to fly it and who try to explain to Yankees what it means to Southerners nowdays.

Do you think maybe that it really could mean something totally different to people south of the Mason Dixon and since we don't come up there trying to put one in your yards, why are you even worrying about it when most of us see it completely different than you do? If somebody in a Southern mixed neighborhood has a rebel flag flying in their yard and it's not bothering any of their neighbors, black or white, they why is it so damned important to the rest of the country that it should?

In my opinion, it is because the vast majority of all Americans just simply don't care about the controversy, if it is, in fact, a controversy. You point out that it isn't highly controversial in your community. Mine, too. It just isn't something people care about, despite probably having a general opinion about it. I believe that it is the professional activists who get their credibility enhanced when they speak out and agitate against certain topics. I know this as a former professional activist. They have a sense that, if they aren't getting public attention, they aren't relevant and they won't sustain their contributors' financial interest. Most everyone who isn't a professional activist won't understand this, and will probably wonder why activists are constantly picking fights about which nobody else cares.

Just because people don't react violently to the flag doesn't mean they aren't offended by it.

Jesus H. Christ.

Good, decent, civilized people don't punch people in the face just because they disagree with them.

There are plenty of people who dislike the flag down south. However, most of them aren't going to cause confrontations about it... Especially when the people flying or wearing the flag are apt to see violence as an acceptable way to settle disputes.

Considering that we shoot people over college football down here, and even our Supreme Court judges have a very public history of overreacting and blowing s**t out of proportion (Roy Moore) even though it's not always violent, you can bet your bottom dollar that there would be a huge deal made if most people were offended by it. You have to remember that the ones being offended are Southerners too, and they would react just like the ones not offended by it. No, most people aren't that violent and wouldn't go to those extremes but there would be protests, vandalism, lots and lots of discussion on talk radio, news stories, sermons, etc about it. Even if we aren't violent, we WILL speak up and we will do so LOUDLY and continuously until we get our way or something else much bigger happens to distract us. Not everybody would be violent, but some would be. Also, there would be plenty who thought vandalism was a good idea. Remember Toomer's Corner where the guy killed those hundred year old oak trees over a football game just because? Some guy went from toilet paper to serious vandalism in a heartbeat over nothing really, so if you don't think that there would be a lot of vandalism toward any public display of the flag you are sadly mistaken.

Good, decent, civilized people also stand up and make a stink when they feel something like racism is being endorsed all over the place. While there would be violence, it wouldn't all be violence. But it would be something, all the time, and it would be such a big something that folks wouldn't be having that flag all over the place now. It would only be the racists doing it because they would want to do an "in your face" type thing, which is different than the "in your face" type thing the rest of us are doing by keeping it and insisting on explaining. Theirs would be "Yeah I'm a racist, what you gonna do about it?" like a challenge. Ours is a "Oh for the love of God you aren't listening to me it doesn't mean this now and to prove it I'm going to wave it around all over the place!"

There isn't logic to any of it, so if you are looking for that, you are gonna be sadly disappointed. It just is what it is, and makes no sense.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 2:41 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
As long as the "sanctions" are lawful and legal. The moment they become unlawful and illegal, those sanctions become crimes.

You mean like when rednecks kick people's asses or when white supremacists shoot up churches?

I totally agree.

Not all ass kicking is done by the wrong side. Sometimes the good guys kick some ass too you know. Just because somebody throws the first punch doesn't make them a racist or a bad guy, especially when they are hitting a bigoted twatwaffle.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 2:58 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I think it's an issue in the South. Nascar has a southern following and the state that's doing the grappling over the old stars and bars at the moment is South Carolina so it does seem like a southern issue at the moment. Northern states aren't grappling with it.

That isn't what I'm talking about though. I'm talking about the HUGE deal that it would be down here now and would have been for decades if people were actually as offended by it here as they are up North. There would have been riots, vandalism, fights, tons and tons of violence, lots of letters to the editor, it would have been on the news constantly, etc. There is occasionally something about it, like this, and like the thing now about flying it at govt buildings, but that really isn't much. After all the s**t that Southern black people had to put up with down here before the Civil Rights and during and the struggle to catch up with the rest of the world after the major changes of the 60's, you really think that Southern black folks would just sit back and not say something if the majority thought that the flag was actually a symbol of racism to anybody except racists? Hell no, and rightfully too. They would have spoken up and not let it go until something was done. It also would have been loud, constant and it would have been a huge issue and displaying it would have basically been tantamount to yelling the N word because that is the kind of reaction you would have gotten by it. Folks down here don't play when it comes to racism. It's not ignored it's addressed. While some people just ignore the old racists, I think they do that because they are old and going to die before long anyway and there is hope that most of the racism goes when that generation does. There are still plenty in other generations but not as many. We kind of match the rest of the country if you don't count the old people.

Any hint of racism is a big deal to us because of our history and if it was that offensive to most people down here, there is no way that it wouldn't be a major, MAJOR issue to everybody, even if you didn't agree with it you would have heard about it constantly on the news, the radio, in the paper, in church, everywhere, etc.

Yeah the south has that mellowness. I get what you are saying. I noticed the same thing in my post about the girl in McKinney, Texas when riots were talked about. Didn't think it would happen in Texas. Even during the civil rights era when blacks faced violence and vandalism in the south, they followed the wisdom of Martin Luther King Jr and protested peacefully.
The north is rowdier.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 3:03 pm

Not sure if this has already been posted.
The man that purchased the original General Lee plans to repaint it.Just dumb,political correctness gone overboard.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ear ... zzard-car/

"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 3:25 pm

Misslizard wrote:
The man that purchased the original General Lee plans to repaint it.Just dumb,political correctness gone overboard.

Hey chick! Where you been? I ain't seen you in forever it seems.

Even if they do repaint it, you know very well that there are more than a few others that are painted just like it so that the guy can have a car like the General Lee. I haven't seen one in this town but I saw one driving around in Bham. Here, the one care I've seen in town with an unusual paint job is the Cheetos car. It's orange too, and an older one as well, but it's got the word Cheetos on it and the cheetah. I don't know if the guy was paid to do that or not. I really hope he was.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 7:09 pm

Misslizard wrote:

There are thousands of other rich people in Windermere and odds are one is likely to want it if he put it up for sale.
Instead he paints over it after all his time owning it without thinking it's offensive until one day that train of thought somehow changed course.
They were partially right about some things needing to remain in museums and stuff like this endangered by politically correct owners is why.
What is he going to name it now the General Sherman? :roll:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 8:14 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
I hate oldschool white southerners. So very much. I only had to meet a few of 'em. When the revolution comes, they'll be the first up against the wall, and all that.

I remember, this one time, I sort of walked past some old dude who had a cane, and he launched into this whole rant about how i disrespected him.

Traditional white southerners appear to stress a culture of honor. And honor is the refuge of people without virtue.

But what i feel and what you feel don't change what the confederacy meant, or what that flag was designed to represent, or the fact that y'all didn't start flying it again until brown v. board of education.

And you know exactly why the state of mississippi added it to their state flag in 1958.
I think that these people are commonly referred to as "Crackers".
Wikipedia wrote:
"Cracker", sometimes "white cracker" or "cracka", is a derogatory term for white people, especially poor rural whites in the Southern United States. In reference to a native of Florida or Georgia, however, it is sometimes used in a neutral or positive context or self-descriptively with pride.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 11:18 am

AntDog wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

There are thousands of other rich people in Windermere and odds are one is likely to want it if he put it up for sale.
Instead he paints over it after all his time owning it without thinking it's offensive until one day that train of thought somehow changed course.
They were partially right about some things needing to remain in museums and stuff like this endangered by politically correct owners is why.

I'll believe it when he actually does paint over it. Right now I am cynically thinking his announcement that he "plans to paint over it" rather than just doing so is a way to drive the price up so that somebody else will rush in and pay top dollar to save it from being painted.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 6:49 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Hey chick! Where you been? I ain't seen you in forever it seems.

Even if they do repaint it, you know very well that there are more than a few others that are painted just like it so that the guy can have a car like the General Lee. I haven't seen one in this town but I saw one driving around in Bham. Here, the one care I've seen in town with an unusual paint job is the Cheetos car. It's orange too, and an older one as well, but it's got the word Cheetos on it and the cheetah. I don't know if the guy was paid to do that or not. I really hope he was.

Life dished out some BS so I just needed time to get over it all.I just didn't have the energy or interest to post anything.Thank you for asking.

There was a oddly painted car found abandoned on a back road here,a big old pink Cadillac with the Cherry Seven-Up logo on the hood and hundred dollar bills scattered around it.Just weird,it sat at the impound yard forever.I don't think they ever found the owner.

"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 6:53 pm

AntDog wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

The General Sherman???LOL ! !!They will need to stick a big cigar in the grill,drive it around starting structure fires.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 7:40 pm

Misslizard wrote:
AntDog wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

The General Sherman???LOL ! !!They will need to stick a big cigar in the grill,drive it around starting structure fires.

Drive it through Atlanta for optimal offensiveness lol. Call it the "Peachtree edition" LOL! Of course nowdays Atlanta isn't Southern anymore really. It's all either Yankees or Southerners who are too good to be Southern anymore and try to sound and act like Yankees. That started back in the 80's. Thank goodness Birmingham didn't have that happen yet. You can be modern and progressive and up to date and still be Southern, but Atlanta seems to have bought in to the whole "Southerners are only ignorant racist backwoods trash" idea that the rest of the country seems to have, so who knows.

Another thing that people who aren't from here don't seem to understand is that only the Florida panhandle is Southern, the rest of Florida isn't considered to be Southern at all. Also, Northern Virgina isn't. Some of the people who live in Arlington like to say that it's the South, but I've lived up there and it's not the South at all. Not one bit. The only thing Southern about it is that it used to be in the Confederacy and it's below the Mason Dixon line. The rest of it is pure-d Yankee. It's funny how they get offended if you call them Yankees too. If they dislike that word so much they should stop acting like them.