TV Land pulls Dukes of Hazzard reruns over Confederate Flag!

Page 1 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 11:16 pm

Quote:
The Viacom-owned network’s (TV Land) decision follows by about a week Warner Bros. Consumer Products’ announcement it would stop participating in Confederate flag merchandising. Warner Bros. had produced the CBS series that first aired in the late 1970s-early ’80s, and co-starred a car named General Lee that was festooned with a large Confederate flag on its roof.

http://deadline.com/2015/07/dukes-of-ha ... 201466719/

Wednesday ended Dukes of Hazzard reruns over the General Lee Car and it's Confederate Flag
What will Thursday bring?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 11:36 pm

How ridiculous. I'm sure All In The Family is long gone now too, huh?

I wish people would grow up and get a little tougher. I'm sick to death of people whining over nothing. Of course this could be just a joke or satire, but if it's true I'd like to know who has ever been hurt by seeing a photo of the General Lee. Seriously, is there anybody in history that has been hurt by it?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 12:49 am

poor cooter is gonna have to find some other kind of income.

cute seeing people on facebook announce that they are boycotting tvland.

"Oh? How'd you get ala carte cable?"

I haven't bothered to point out to people that Viacom is 17 networks + Paramount Pictures.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 12:49 am

I think that the whole Confederate Flag thing is just a way of people shooting the messenger. Dylan Roof was a loser who got sucked into the white nationalist underground, and even then he was sort of a fellow traveler, but he decided to "start the race war" by killing black people in a black church. He reminds me of Arendt's whole thing about the banality of evil (originally describing Eichmann) and he reminds me of Lee Harvey Oswald, who was a loser like Roof who thought he was destined for greatness and decided to prove the point. Roof is still alive, so put him on death row where he can think about what he did for the next 20 years until his number is called. People need somebody to blame, so they're blaming a flag. One thing/person is responsible: Dylan Roof. A flag didn't make him do it, nor did the 14 Words, nor any other easily blamable thing. He and he alone is responsible.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 1:15 am

pezar wrote:
I think that the whole Confederate Flag thing is just a way of people shooting the messenger. Dylan Roof was a loser who got sucked into the white nationalist underground, and even then he was sort of a fellow traveler, but he decided to "start the race war" by killing black people in a black church. He reminds me of Arendt's whole thing about the banality of evil (originally describing Eichmann) and he reminds me of Lee Harvey Oswald, who was a loser like Roof who thought he was destined for greatness and decided to prove the point. Roof is still alive, so put him on death row where he can think about what he did for the next 20 years until his number is called. People need somebody to blame, so they're blaming a flag. One thing/person is responsible: Dylan Roof. A flag didn't make him do it, nor did the 14 Words, nor any other easily blamable thing. He and he alone is responsible.

Sorry but the messenger needs to be shot in this case.

Just because southerners living today may have bought a line of BS about heritage doesn't mean that the confederate battle flag is anything but a symbol of the belief that white people are superior to black people.

The founders of the confederacy, from the beginning when they announced their intentions and fired the first shots, stated loudly and clearly (and published in print) their position that they were doing this to protect their right to keep black slaves, based on their belief that this was right and good and ordained of God. They put this in their newspapers. We still have copies.

The man who designed the flag that people today call the confederate battle flag said that it symbolizes the white man's supremacy over black people. He actually said that in person and in print.

When their military failure became inevitable they started mutterings and about how slavery wasn't the only cause of the war. They knew they were losing hard and needed to change the narrative. Again, we have the printed material from the era.

After surrender, what we start seeing in the published record is opinion about how the cause was not completely lost - how white people remain superior and will continue to keep the black people down even if slavery has been outlawed.

In Texas, they just didn't tell the slaves about the emancipation proclamation. That went on for 2 years before the feds sent a column of 2000 troops to free the slaves in texas by force if necessary. Look up 'juneteenth' if you don't believe me.

And then there is the historic correspondence between southern leaders about how the law says that things have to be a certain way in public, but how they will co-opt the KKK (prior to reconstruction more like an elk's lodge) as a "shadow government" to make sure the blacks are kept down. That every politician who is allowed into power and every business leader will be a member of the KKK and they will be the people who really run things. Yeah they really wrote this down on paper. Not kidding.

And at that time, you just didn't see confederate flags.

And you didn't see them again until after the brown v. board of education decision.

And it was again explicit that this was about white supremacy when they started flying that flag right when the civil rights movement was getting some real traction.

So yes. Shoot the messenger. Right in the dick.

I'm not saying people can't fly it. I'm saying that they may as well be flying the third reich's swastika.

And i am saying that it is grossly inappropriate for any government office to display it. It would be like the department of workforce services flying a sabocat flag. Or hammer & sickle.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 2:06 am

And thus it became like how the Soviet Union would censor out parts of history, culture, and events they didn't tolerate.

I went to Cooters in Gatlinburg around this time in 2013 (awesome place for DoH fans), little did I know the cool General Lee go kart I drove there and awesome actual car I got a picture of myself next to would have it's flag practically banned 2 years later. :cry:
Would Gone with the Wind and Forrest Gump be next? :evil:

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 10:06 am

AntDog wrote:
And thus it became like how the Soviet Union would censor out parts of history, culture, and events they didn't tolerate.

Hardly.

In germany you can't display a swastika or buy or sell nazi memorabilia.

But germans are accutely aware of the sins of their grandfathers.

Being ashamed of what happened is nothing like pretending it wasn't so bad.

The neo-nazis can't wave a swastika in the streets of germany without going to jail, so they use the stars & bars instead.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 10:37 am

Nazi flags in Hogan's Heroes?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 10:49 am

blauSamstag wrote:
I'm not saying people can't fly it. I'm saying that they may as well be flying the third reich's swastika.

Since when did the confederacy have a practice of systematic genocide which killed millions?
There ARE living victims of the holocaust still alive and well.
There are absolutely NO victims of slavery (in this country) alive, except in the minds of those with a political agenda and/or a victim complex.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 10:56 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
How ridiculous. I'm sure All In The Family is long gone now too, huh?

I wish people would grow up and get a little tougher. I'm sick to death of people whining over nothing. Of course this could be just a joke or satire, but if it's true I'd like to know who has ever been hurt by seeing a photo of the General Lee. Seriously, is there anybody in history that has been hurt by it?

It's all about manufactured offense and feigned butthurt.

"Hey, there's somethign I can be offended over. Let's see how many waves I can make just to show how special I am".

I'm wondering if anyone had an issue with the Dukes of Hazzard back when it was originally aired. I'd be willing to bet there weren't or at least the few that were had enough fortitude and self respect to keep it to themselves.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 11:02 am

Raptor wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

Since when did the confederacy have a practice of systematic genocide which killed millions?
There ARE living victims of the holocaust still alive and well.
There are absolutely NO victims of slavery (in this country) alive, except in the minds of those with a political agenda and/or a victim complex.

The confederate war happened longer ago than the holocaust, yes.

The confederacy didn't kill millions of their expensive assets, yes.

We do still have survivors of the civil rights movement, and southern opposition to that is the heritage that south carolina celebrates when they fly that flag at the capitol.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

02 Jul 2015, 11:04 am

If you have a problem with the Confederate flag you should have a problem with the flag of the US, simple as that

book burner all of them

we're in a literal purge

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 11:50 am

blauSamstag wrote:
AntDog wrote:

Hardly.

In germany you can't display a swastika or buy or sell nazi memorabilia.

But germans are accutely aware of the sins of their grandfathers.

Being ashamed of what happened is nothing like pretending it wasn't so bad.

The neo-nazis can't wave a swastika in the streets of germany without going to jail, so they use the stars & bars instead.

Exactly.... White southerners (I'm one) using the Stars and Bars as a sign of pride in heritage is about the same a Germans/German Americans using the Swastika as a sign of German pride.

Sure, the Germans made some impressive gains/achievements under the swastika, but that doesn't negate all the evil done under that symbol...

Southerners honoring the battle flag and romanticizing the Confederacy are a lot like holocaust deniers.

If you're actually concerned about history, you should relish the opportunity to set people straight about the Confederacy and the American civil war.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 11:55 am

Jacoby wrote:
If you have a problem with the Confederate flag you should have a problem with the flag of the US, simple as that

book burner all of them

we're in a literal purge

Pure horses**t.

While it's true that the US Flag has flown over many atrocities, as stated before, the US is a living breathing work in progress and the US flag has a much more varied constituency.

The confederacy is a dead white supremacists state. It's constituents are,at best, ignorant of history, and at worst, venomous racists and terrorists.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

02 Jul 2015, 12:50 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

book burner all of them

we're in a literal purge

Pure horses**t.

While it's true that the US Flag has flown over many atrocities, as stated before, the US is a living breathing work in progress and the US flag has a much more varied constituency.

The confederacy is a dead white supremacists state. It's constituents are,at best, ignorant of history, and at worst, venomous racists and terrorists.

The US is a living breathing holocaust to this day, it has flown longer and has more blood on its hands of which it sheds more and more every day. If you hate the Confederate flag then you should realize it was just a chip off the old block from the Great Satan, you can't disown or pawn off this part of our history on foreign entity.

The Civil War was the most deadly war in American history, it was brother against brother in a brutal terroristic war and the vast majority of the people didn't have a dog in the fight either way other than loyalty to their state which called them to service. People don't forget that, is it wrong for them to want to commemorate their ancestors?

I don't oppose the flying of any flag, I just think those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Banning everything you find offensive is not freedom, it is censorship plain and simple. People need to stop trying to force their views on other people and accept that not everyone agrees or likes you and that's just life, everything is not some ideological battlefield in which you must always be looking to score points.

Last edited by Jacoby on 02 Jul 2015, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 1:00 pm

Yes, yes... and if the US was nothing but THE Great Satan, I might agree... :roll: