Anyone watch Asian game shows and variety shows?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 11:01 pm

I like watching a couple of Korean variety shows (Running Man, The Return of Superman) and the occasional Japanese game show. I started getting really into them last year when Running Man filmed a couple of episodes in my city here in Australia. Now I watch them regularly. I even started learning Korean because of it. And now one of the major TV networks in Oz is thinking about starting a channel dedicated specifically to these kinds of Asian shows. Can't wait, if it does. :mrgreen:

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Offset
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 May 2020, 4:45 am

I look at Ninja Warrior, (which they have an American version, and it sucks balls) and it's like if a Strongman Competition crossovered with an obstacle course. It's nice.

I seen Running Man before, but the clips I saw didn't have subtitles, but from what I saw, it was a bunch of Kpop singers and idols who had to find a bunch of items in this large shopping mall. It was kinda interesting.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2020, 7:51 am

MXC!! ! MXC!! !

It's an English-dubbed version of Takeshi's Castle.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2020, 8:14 am

Back in the early 90's I got hooked on "La Movida"( I think that that was the name):a late night Mexican Spanish language variety show, on the Univision channel, that came on at the time as Leno and Letterman.

I never understood a word anyone on the show ever said, but ...the hawt lady hostess, Veronica Castro (kinda of Hispanic Joan Collins), was easier on the eyes than Leno and Letterman. Something about the show was more visually stunning than the American competitors. And it showcased a variety of music acts from all over Latin America. A metal band one night, a Tejano band similar to American country the next nigh, Peruvian folk band with mournful pan flutes the next. All interesting. They even had a comic who would play flawless classical pieces, stop suddenly, and then spout a comic one-liner in Spanish that would cause the house to erupt into laughter, before continuing with the piano piece. Never knew who he was, nor ever knew what he ever said in his one liners, but I could see that he was stealing Victor Borg's act! :lol:

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

06 May 2020, 8:49 am

We watch Ninja Warrior UK, didn't even know there was an Asian version (guessing that was the original though). I used to love Takeshi's Castle, the version here was edited and had commentary in English. I'd love to see the full original episodes dubbed or subtitled.