Page 7 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 2:30 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
Teddy Roosevelt was wrong.

Is not a puerto-rican-american also an american?

Aren't they american first 364 days of the year, and puerto rican first on just one?

Who are you to say they shouldn't be?

I'm a proud American, but there is also no reason why I can't take pride in being of German extraction. Just as there's no reason why someone else can't take pride in having African, Chinese, or Irish roots; just as long as no one else is denigrated by it.
E Pluribus Unum - Through Many, One - there's a reason why that's our country's motto.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 2:46 pm

Jacoby wrote:
That's FDR, I quoted his older distant cousin Theodore. Teddy could be described as a xenophobic white supremacist in modern terms for sure but at his time he was more progressive than most, he took a lot of flack for just for having dinner with Booker T. Washington at the White House in 1901. To give an example of the time, this poem was written in response to that meeting...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niggers_in_the_White_House

What's messed up is this "poem" actually reappeared more than 25 years later when Herbert Hoover's wife had tea with the wife of a black congressman. A US senator from South Carolina actually read it on the floor of the senate in an attempt to get it added to the Congressional Record, luckily some northern Republicans took issue with it and protested it's addition.

That is truly a disgusting piece of doggerel. It reminds me of the racist poem Lovecraft had written, which has in modern times come back to haunt his historic and literary legacy.