Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 12:56 am

So as some of you may know I do love Vinyl and have started growing a bit of a collection. I also collect cassette tapes as well, funny thing is how cheap they are. I mean hell you could take 100 dollars and probably get over 200 albums on cassette tape, whereas with vinyl or CD you won't get that many albums for that kind of money. But aside from the OMG you can find rare or hard to find albums on cassette for next to nothing....they also have a sound quality I appreciate and well I grew up with cassette tapes.

I will say they can be a little hard to operate....lol if its not re-winded, you have a weird basic cassette player that doesn't rewind/fast forward so it has to be played all the way through for it to play all through the next time. With the cassette player that came on my vinyl, radio, computer speaker contraption I keep ending up putting a tape in only to realize I end up listening to side 2 before side 1....lol so they can be confusing. But does anyone else use this medium of music listening to anymore?

WednesdayWoe
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jul 2015, 4:02 am

We still have a tapedeck in the car, so I still use them there :) I mostly use my old mixtapes I made as a teenager. A guy once made fun of me for still listening to cassettes but I was just like 'whatever, dude!'

Most of mine are getting pretty old and stretched, though, so everything sounds a bit wrong :lol:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 6:56 am

I've got most the ones I have at independent record stores, they tend to be in pretty good condition. there is a record store day in april I think that has good album sales and limited releases....I missed it this year unfortunatly, though most of those are vinyl or CD....but I did get a cassette at a concert i went to a couple months ago by newish band, so perhaps like vinyl they will make a come back.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 7:33 am

I don't collect cassettes, but I was wondering if anyone else here also bought vinyl. What are your favorite vinyl releases, Sweetleaf? I have some original Sex Pistols and PiL releases, as well as a reissue of Van Dyke Parks' Song Cycle in mono, which I love.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 2:46 pm

I still have a cassette carrying case with lots of tapes in it. They are mostly spoken word, though. I'm now using Audible.com for that type of content. Some time ago I bought the gear to transfer cassettes to digital audio files so that skipping around within them would be easier, but so far I've not done any transfers.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 7:06 am

I collect cassette tapes. From my source, I get them for a quarter a piece. I have a dual deck cassette deck hooked up to my stereo, at least five portable cassette players, and since my car is from 1986, there is a cassette player in there too. My collection is stored in a rotating rack, a three drawer storage unit, four 6.5CI plastic shoe-boxes, and some in the portable carry cases of different sizes I have accumulated overtime. Yesterday I played Catching Up With Depeche Mode on my stereo. :) I also sell them online as well. They are not fast sellers, but people do still buy them. I also record my own mixtapes to play in the car. I make sure to grab the good recordable cassettes like the Maxell XL's and the TDK SA's because no one makes those kind of things anymore. All you can really get are normal bias tapes nowadays.

I also have vinyl and a direct drive record player, but I don't have any place to set it up right now. I also have lots of CD's and sell those online too.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 7:36 am

Well, I'm not collecting cassettes, NOW----but, I have a TON of 'em, from back-in-the-day!! I have a bunch of 'em, from when I lived in Europe; and, those are PRICELESS, to me!!

I also have alot of vinyl----including 45s----but, not NEARLY as many, as cassettes.

I have 2 stereos, with turntables----but, only 1 has a cassette deck.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 10:24 pm

Used to collect tapes (as well as vinyls, and CDs). And would make mix tapes. In fact-the other day- I found myself starting to make another mix tape on a cassette. Couldnt control myself! Can't quite settle into the digital age though I try. Often I will snap up a 50 cent album on tape, but then a year later find the same album on a used CD for only a couple dollars so I will give away the cassette. But some mix tapes I still treasure years later. Taking tracts off CDs and Vinyls and putting them together on the perfect Jazz tape, or the perfect metal tape, or the perfect techno tape, or blues tape, or whatever theme.