15.7% of WP visits r from DENMARK. How is ASD viewed there?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

slave
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 2:21 pm

Hello Danes :!:

Other than US and UK, Denmark is the source of the most WP readers.
Source:http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/wrongplanet.net

What is it like having ASD in Denmark?
Are there distinctly Danish cultural issues which affect people with ASD?
Are there social programs for people with ASD?
Are adults with ASD underserved like everywhere else?
How does the Education system respond to people with ASD?

:D

Since the birth of civilization, small sets of dominant individuals have controlled the numerical majority. Even a cursory reading of world history will substantiate this claim. Kings, Pharaohs, Emperors, Sultans, Czars, and Dictators have imposed their will upon their subjects. This pattern has not changed over the millennia and it remains so, today. Our Masters rule over every nation and no one can defy them. They will attain Absolute Power as we reach the Singularity. All those who oppose their will, will be destroyed. Given the obvious futility, I will not resist. 2+2=5.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 3:03 pm

Ask her

The AnMish You Tube Channal

She has a bunch of videos about growing up in the Danish School System

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 3:06 pm

That's an extremely high percentage for a country of about 8 million or so.

The US has about 320 million people.

The UK about 60 million people.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 3:16 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Ask her

The AnMish You Tube Channal

She has a bunch of videos about growing up in the Danish School System

:lol: Yeah, I know :D

I've seen all of her videos :mrgreen:

I don't know if she is on WP or not.

AnMish, if you are here, say hello, ok? :D :wink:

Since the birth of civilization, small sets of dominant individuals have controlled the numerical majority. Even a cursory reading of world history will substantiate this claim. Kings, Pharaohs, Emperors, Sultans, Czars, and Dictators have imposed their will upon their subjects. This pattern has not changed over the millennia and it remains so, today. Our Masters rule over every nation and no one can defy them. They will attain Absolute Power as we reach the Singularity. All those who oppose their will, will be destroyed. Given the obvious futility, I will not resist. 2+2=5.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 3:24 pm

One reason for the large amount of Danes here might be that they nearly all speak excellent English - like the Dutch their own language isn't spoken anywhere else so they use English almost as an official second language.

They also have one of the best health services in the world, so maybe it's easy to get a diagnosis and support in Denmark.

Just a thought ...

'Wo viel Licht ist, ist auch viel Schatten'.
Goethe

'Demain était déjà très loin'.
Julien Gracq
Un balcon en forêt

'Aș vrea să pot să locuiesc în propriile mele cuvinte ...'
Nichita Stănescu
O confesiune

'Once one has learnt to pay attention to the characteristic manifestations of autism, one realises that they are not at all rare'.
Hans Asperger

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 4:20 pm

A very cogent determination. Almost definitely true.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 4:22 pm

Hyperborean wrote:
One reason for the large amount of Danes here might be that they nearly all speak excellent English - like the Dutch their own language isn't spoken anywhere else so they use English almost as an official second language.

They also have one of the best health services in the world, so maybe it's easy to get a diagnosis and support in Denmark.

Just a thought ...

excellent point

I, too, suspect you are correct.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Jul 2015, 4:40 pm

Alex got an autistic woman from Denmark to write some articles for him a few years ago. Here's one: http://wrongplanet.net/5-tools-to-get-t ... -holidays/

MiLK
Raven
Raven

05 Jul 2015, 4:49 pm

I believe she is the reason why Alex went to Denmark a few years back. He went there for a conference in Århus or Aarhus and met her with a bunch of others. I believe she is from København (Copenhagen).

MiLK
Raven
Raven

05 Jul 2015, 4:50 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Alex got an autistic woman from Denmark to write some articles for him a few years ago. Here's one: http://wrongplanet.net/5-tools-to-get-t ... -holidays/

Why are you beating me to it, Walrus? :wink:

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 5:37 pm

Hyperborean wrote:
Just a thought ...

You are right about english being second language for danes. Autism groups are just emerging now and The Planet is by far the best forum yet.

It is hard to get a diagnosis in DK, - very much so for adults and especially for women, as traditional psychs think in personality disorders. As ASD is regarded as a psychiatric condition, our health service does pay for evaluation, but it is very hard to get one. An evaluation done at an autism centre costs about 4000$.

One woman, I know, tried to blast the doors open for others by insisting, that a hospital, who diagnosed her son, also dx´ed her. She got her dx, but it didn´t open doors, like she had hoped.
There are very few psychiatrists, who deals with autism in adults, but there is slight openings here and there, and more adults are getting diagnosed now.
I had to go to a clinical psychologist and then present his evaluation to my psychiatrist, who recognized the description and verified. Funny - he is an expert on ADHD, but doesn´t know how Aspergers presents.

Autism is seen as a grave psychiatric disease by some, ill manners by some, but is generally accepted by most.
Few people are eager to disclose, unless they have to.

By the way, if you want to ask Maja Toudal (AnnMish)about something, I´d suggest, that you send her a PB on Youtube, - but she is very busy and might not look in there for a long time.

Greetings from DK

Last edited by Jensen on 05 Jul 2015, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 5:45 pm

Semi-offtopic:

And next to that is P.I... (5.1%) I haven't met any filipinos around here. Seriously O.o?

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 6:39 pm

Oh? I´ve seen letters in here from a few filippinos, - but only a few.