Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

tinyteddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2015, 6:13 pm

i recieved a diagnosis of aspergers in 2009 and i always doubt it. i feel like over the years i've been covering up my weirdness, to the point now where it even kind of freaks me out a little, i'm so used to explaining and apologizing. because i'm not used to really being "myself" it's nice to be able to embrace myself for who i am. now that i'm older there is less of a desire to want to fit in, so that is nice. no real reason in writing this, just stating where i am at the moment. i alternate between wanting to fit in and embracing myself. i'm sure you all feel this way. no real point to this post but feel free to comment or whatever. :)

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 6:21 pm

Yep, there's always a conflict between fitting in and embracing yourself. I believe the 'fitting in' always changes, where as you grow older it isn't so much that you want to belong to the 'cool' group and be popular etc. but that you need to express yourself in a way that takes other views into account. I suppose that's what people mean by being considerate, mature etc. Fitting social expectations, which by no means are stupid, because it improves general happiness.

I guess you gotta find a good middle ground between embracing yourself and fitting in. It's not so black and white and both can occur simultaneously, though I find that can be difficult. :wink:

tinyteddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2015, 6:24 pm

Norny wrote:
Yep, there's always a conflict between fitting in and embracing yourself. I believe the 'fitting in' always changes, where as you grow older it isn't so much that you want to belong to the 'cool' group and be popular etc. but that you need to express yourself in a way that takes other views into account. I suppose that's what people mean by being considerate, mature etc. Fitting social expectations, which by no means are stupid, because it improves general happiness.

I guess you gotta find a good middle ground between embracing yourself and fitting in. It's not so black and white and both can occur simultaneously, though I find that can be difficult. :wink:

that is so true. i have issues with thinking that something can be two things at once. i have to consciously remind myself that there IS a middle ground, and i might not always have the answers. that has given me freedom to take the pressure off myself and challenged me to just accept things as they are. which is hard. because it seems like i always want to know answers before moving forward.