Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2015, 5:10 pm

... talk with them directly!

In Matthew 18:15-17, Jesus states this:

“If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector."

A brother or sister isn't a blood relation either, but any fellow believer. If someone sins, talk with them directly. If not, bring someone else in to witness their rejection of what you're saying. But, good grief, don't just stab them in the back and pretend it's okay. That's wrong, you know that's wrong - you wouldn't want it done to you, thus it is wrong.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 12:59 pm

I have a better idea. Why the hell don't you just leave them alone and keep your biblical nonsense to yourselves. Why exactly do you feel the need to change everyone else into clones of you two? Those of us who think your nonsense is just that don't want to hear about it...

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 1:39 pm

"Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?"

Matthew 7:3

Evidently he was in two minds.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 1:52 pm

Can I assume this refers to your Repentance thread? Forgiveness is not easily given by the brethren. That does put them in a difficult position. Unfortunately gossip is to delicious to miss. So, who is the sinner?

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 1:54 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
"Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?"

Matthew 7:3

Evidently he was in two minds.

It's not in two minds. You should never act like you're better than someone else and condemn them for something trivial when you're doing something either just as bad or worse.

pcuser wrote:
I have a better idea. Why the hell don't you just leave them alone and keep your biblical nonsense to yourselves. Why exactly do you feel the need to change everyone else into clones of you two? Those of us who think your nonsense is just that don't want to hear about it...

We're talking about Christians talking to other Christians. People in the same faith, who believe the same things. Your comment is irrelevant. And besides, talking to someone instead of talking behind their back is a good idea no matter your faith.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 2:21 pm

It just seems they are always implying they are inherently better than others because of their Christianity...

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 2:29 pm

kamiyu910 wrote:
It's not in two minds. You should never act like you're better than someone else and condemn them for something trivial when you're doing something either just as bad or worse.

How often is this followed though?

There are plenty of loud mouths that are more that happy to point out where folk are going wrong morally. Some are even willing to comment on their Judgment. From my understanding of Christian theology as I was taught from childhood, speculating on someone's Judgment or attempting to pre-determine their Judgment is a pretty serious sin in Christianity. One of the most grave offenses against God to a believer. That doesn't seem to stop these people though.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 2:44 pm

Quote:
From my understanding of Christian theology as I was taught from childhood, speculating on someone's Judgment or attempting to pre-determine their Judgment is a pretty serious sin in Christianity. One of the most grave offenses against God to a believer.

I think not forgiving those whom God has forgiven is a very serious matter. We read Jesus as saying if you have a difference with your brother then go and settle it before coming to the altar in prayer. If they gossip and do not forgive there prayer is not acceptable.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 2:53 pm

Grebels wrote:
I think not forgiving those whom God has forgiven is a very serious matter. We read Jesus as saying if you have a difference with your brother then go and settle it before coming to the altar in prayer. If they gossip and do not forgive there prayer is not acceptable.

I was more talking about the sin of passing Judgment (note capital J).

"X will go to hell/heaven". For example.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 3:02 pm

Yes, I agree it is serious, although I was trying to address what I believe to be the OP's concern.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 3:26 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
kamiyu910 wrote:

How often is this followed though?

Sadly, it isn't followed very often :/
I try very hard to follow it myself, though.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 4:11 pm

Personally, I prefer to distance myself from people who are flagrantly "sinning" in some way. Not just "sinning" in any religious sense, but also people doing whatever they can to demonstrate their ability to shock or repulse others.

Bullies? Deadbeats? Drunks? Freeloaders? Junkies? Racists? Smokers? Thieves? None of these are counted among my friends.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 12:48 pm

Iamaparakeet wrote:
... talk with them directly!

In Matthew 18:15-17, Jesus states this:

“If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector."

A brother or sister isn't a blood relation either, but any fellow believer. If someone sins, talk with them directly. If not, bring someone else in to witness their rejection of what you're saying. But, good grief, don't just stab them in the back and pretend it's okay. That's wrong, you know that's wrong - you wouldn't want it done to you, thus it is wrong.

If it gets up to option C, Tell the whole church, let me know. I may actually attend church to see someone get called out in front of the whole church. "hey everyone, can I have your attention please? I caught Bob pleasing himself to my little pony videos and he won't stop". I'd like to be there for that..

EdgySpirit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jul 2015, 3:24 pm

pcuser wrote:
It just seems they are always implying they are inherently better than others because of their Christianity...

Alas confession of sin /error is just the starting point.

ES
Chief among sinners
(Right up there with St Paul)

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 4:57 pm

The version in Luke says "sins against you", which is very different from only "sins". Other translations of Matthew also say "against you". Which completely changes what it's about, really.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 5:20 pm

pcuser wrote:

of course they are!