Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

KevLibraryGuy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jul 2015, 5:57 pm

Does anyone know any place online where I can get help writing cover letters? I detest writing them, and always wind up being stumped on how to write effective ones.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 9:50 am

I'm sure there are many "sample" cover letters all over the Internet.

If I were to write a cover letter, I would try to tailor it to the specific job. And maybe impart your previous experiences in that job in a brief manner. Don't boast, though. Just say how useful you were to the previous company.

I wish you excellent luck in your job search.

Note: Most jobs of a clerical nature don't really require "cover letters." But if it's a "professional"/management position--definitely yes!

What sort of job are you applying for?

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 1:11 pm

[Your Name]
[Street address]
[City, State and ZIP]
[Today's date]

[Company's name]
[Street Address]
[City, State and ZIP]

[Person if one is listed],

I am writing in response to the listing for the IT Business System Analyst posted on Pure Michigan Talent Connect. I have a friendly personality, a flair for helping people, and punctual attendance. I am Fluent in both Windows and Mac OS X operating systems. I have also been a leader of many productive technology based groups. I have After reading your job description, I am confident that my skills and my passion for technology are a perfect match for this position.
(The above paragraph should represent your skills overview and why you are good for the job)

I would bring to your organization a broad range of skills, including competency in:
[Skill Set in list form, no bullets or numbering]

I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss this position with you. If you have questions or would like to schedule an interview, please contact me by phone from [Time range for contacting you]. at [Your Phone #]or by e-mail at [your business email (you should have one with a form of your name)] I have enclosed my resume for your review. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

(4 line spaces)
[Your name]

This is my template that I use and it gets me interviews.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 1:22 pm

Very excellent template.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 1:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Very excellent template.

I was given it by the people I briefly worked with at career services on an internship a few years back.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 2:25 pm

I agree, that's a good template. I would have responded to that. I would have focused on the word flair, been amused by it, and asked for more information mostly based on that. If it was too generic I would also have asked for information, but I wouldn't have remembered the person who sent it.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 2:30 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
I agree, that's a good template. I would have responded to that. I would have focused on the word flair, been amused by it, and asked for more information mostly based on that. If it was too generic I would also have asked for information, but I wouldn't have remembered the person who sent it.

You're not the only one who's said that.
You should use some more eccentric words to make your letter more distinct instead of coming off generic.

carthago
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jul 2015, 12:30 am

If your application is going to a larger company, the chances are they are using ATS software (applicant tracking system) and if so, even when they ask for a cover letter, it ends up in the black hole of cyberspace. For example, if you apply to Goldman Sachs, you'll spend a few happy afternoons writing essays for their ATS, which will ultimately be scanned for spelling and grammar errors to count against you, and nothing else. If you pass the automated screening (ie. keywords in your resume, years of experience in your field, etc) then an HR rep will set up a screening interview where you get to basically say what was in your cover letter. After that, you'll interview someone in your service line who has spent around 10 seconds looking at your resume and isn't even aware of your cover letter because that's in HR systems, which they don't even have access to. That's my cynical take on hiring anyway. I've never seen a cover letter help someone get a job, but I suppose at smaller companies it could have an impact.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 9:39 am

I always peruse their website, and add a blurb in my letter, about that----for instance, I recently applied for a job where they have this annual event, and I put, something like this: "I would LOVE to help-out with that." Yes, I put the capital letters----it's something different, I feel----also, most people, IMO, think they can only be, real serious; and, that language like that, is too casual. Also, every interview I've gone on, the recruiter has said that they liked that I took the time, to visit the site----often adding: "We try to encourage people to DO that----but, people seldom do" (visit the website).