Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Iamala1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jul 2015, 10:18 am

I'm pretty happy today because today I got the exam results of the first year of my degree and I did really well.

It's taken a long time for me to get to this stage, I'm 22 and most of my friends have already graduated or are going on to Post Graduate courses and I won't deny at times I've felt a bit down about it. But persistence pays off.

I, like many of my friends, went straight to university after school. I moved four and a half hours away from home to a new city, a new country technically, and it did not go well. I only got officially diagnosed about three months ago so the experience of going to university for the first time was all the more awful because I had no idea why things were going wrong for me.

I'd had trouble at school but everyone wrote it off as stress and I guess maybe I wasn't so good at telling people what was wrong anyway because I was pretty much convinced I was either making it up or just not working hard enough or something. When I left home I suddenly felt very lost. I tried very hard to go to my lectures and do the work but I kept finding it hard to concentrate because I had whole days with nothing to do- no routine imposed on me. I was awful at organising myself. I used to hide until the kitchen was empty before I would make any food and stopped eating properly. Suffice to say three months in I was barely making any lectures, I couldn't sleep because the fire alarm would go off unpredictably and the sound and lights were horrendous and although I met some very good people who tried to help me, I didn't know what was going on, and neither did they. I ended up leaving and going back home.

There was a year of 'treatment' for supposed depression that the therapists decided wasn't depression but couldn't figure out what is was.

Then I reapplied. Luckily enough I live close to a very good university and they were willing to take me on part time for my first year, to see how I coped. I got some additional help and although the first year was a bit rocky, living at home helped a lot and I managed to make all of my lectures. Whilst I was there I had a few appointments with one of the university counselors who, when hearing me describe some sensory issues, asked me if I had ever been assessed for Aspergers.

A year later the diagnosis was made which has helped a lot because now at least I know what I'm dealing with.

But, this year, the second half of my first year, has been great. I've gotten stricter about my routines and probably had a few more meltdowns because of it, but I've managed to get all but one of my essays in on time (and I get automatic extension if I ask now) and even join a society making films. Being at home has made a huge difference and I would say to anyone looking at going to university, look local first. Having the home routine established has really taken the stress off when it comes to organising meals and washing and cleaning.

I found out today I got an A in this year's exam and finished my first year all together with a 2:1 average. The university has approved me switching to full time next year and they're rewriting my support plan in reference to my new diagnosis.

It's taken me four years but I have to say I'm really proud of myself. I went through a very dark time for a bit before learning how to cope, but I wanted to kind of share my news because I want people who are finding it hard, or who have had to leave a course in the past, to know that it can be done with the right support in place.

I feel a lot more in control now, and I will get that darn degree, even if I am a little older than my friends when I do.

MiLK
Raven
Raven

09 Jul 2015, 12:35 pm

I'm happy for you, lamala. You're one of few who seem to be making it. I have unfortunately failed. I can get stressed out a lot and I become exhausted because of the mental stress. I also have apnoea which sometimes causes me to be physically very tired during the day.

Not many of us make it. In my country, only 20% leave college with a diploma/degree. The rest fails to finish it. It's very sad.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 7:12 pm

Congratulations! It'll just get easier from here!

zimmo45
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jul 2015, 8:26 pm

I had a very similar experience when I went off to college. I got academically dismissed, then went to community college for a few years and to this day only have 29 credits. Hopefully I will finish someday...Congrats

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 8:53 pm

Congrats!! I had to take a couple of years off between high school and college to get my head together and it has never caused me any problems. I rather enjoyed being a bit more mature than classmates. Best wishes!!

captain_anarchy64
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jul 2015, 12:38 pm

I went to college after high school as well and did one year. I dropped out because I couldn't handle it; I was wondering what was wrong everyone was having a good time while I was struggling. At the time, I was 12 hours away from my parents, which didn't help at all. After I dropped out, I moved back in with my parents.

4 years later, I decided to go back to school. I went to a small community college; when I walked in to apply, I was shaking. I was terrified to go back, but I knew I had to. I only went part time which was a lot easier to handle. I joined student government to do something different and after my first semester I decided to run for president. The results came in and I got twice as many votes as my competition. I broke down to tears later that day when I got home; I couldn't really comprehend that I won.

I think college is hard for anyone; even harder for aspies. I think you should keep going and its good you are becoming involved with a club

dobyfm
Toucan
Toucan

01 Aug 2015, 5:38 am

Congrats! Do not feel down. Just tell yourself all that matters in the end is that you receive the degree. Try not to pay attention to where your friends are. Eventually you will catch up.