Can't make new friends, how to make them.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

duck12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2015, 12:39 pm

I've tried basically everything I can think of to get my "so-called" friends to hang out and do things with them, and they always say one of the following: "I'm too busy" "I forgot" "Something happened, or "I'll get back to you" but they never do. I hate these types of people, they are just flakey. All of the meetups in my area are older people (youngest person at the last meetup I went to was 27, and the rest are all in their 30s and 40s.) My mom is ill and I have no other relatives to hang out with as they all live either too far away, have died, or moved on with their lives. I just want friends who won't always stand me up and most hobby groups, I'm either not good at the hobby involved or I can't afford to attend.

I am wondering what other ideas there are to make friends. Most people would say work and college, but none of my young coworkers are willing to start a friendship (they all have other friends) and I do online courses at college, so I never go on campus and even if I did, its a community college and most of the people who go there are ghetto.

I'm stuck because I don't have any other ideas other than moving out of this county, or just reading books for the rest of my life.

What should I do? I'm lost and feel quite frustrated & upset.

FullMetalAspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jul 2015, 3:24 pm

I don't really have any good advice because I don't have any friends either.
But what are you interested in?

duck12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2015, 4:52 pm

FullMetalAspie wrote:
I don't really have any good advice because I don't have any friends either.
But what are you interested in?

Lots of stuff, music, chess, hot wheels, tennis, weather, etc. Its just that whenever I try to make a new friend they think I have some contagious disease and avoid me like the plague. Its annoying, to say the least. I do have one friend, but I'm starting to go insane not having any other friends as he doesn't like leaving the house to do anything, all he likes to do is sit home and play video games.

I'm pretty much at a loss, and I have very little to no support other than from my therapist because my parents are just simply telling me they can't do anything about it.

tayblast
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2015, 1:50 am

Is there a local park that holds chess tournaments?
Or even weekly friendly games?

How about the local tennis club?

FullMetalAspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jul 2015, 7:24 pm

I don't know maybe meet new friends through other people you already know that might give you an excuse to talk to them.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 6:45 am

Ugh. The OP's post sounds like someone I would write word for word. I am still having the same struggle even though I am engaged: I still want to make friends and am tired of the flaky behaviour. There must be more people like me in the world who say what they mean and mean what they say.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 9:25 am

Yeah...wouldn't that be cool?

thewrite1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jul 2015, 9:21 am

I'm not really good at making friends, either (most I've made was via campus or social skills group), but in regards to hobbies, maybe have someone serve as a mentor and see if you have anything else in common with them? If you enjoy being taught by them, maybe it could be something more.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Jul 2015, 9:32 am

I would say don't turn away friends just because they're "ghetto", some of the most laid back non-judging people could be called "ghetto".

As for how to meet new friends? Beats me.