Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Factory Ten
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jul 2015, 10:12 pm

Simple question. Would turning up the temperature on the AC so that it activates at higher temperatures help me burn more calories? I've gained 30 pounds in the past year, half of which from before I got on this combination of Abilify and Effexor, half of which after (with still a poor diet, just not as poor) and I'm looking for little things I can start doing. I understand that I will probably have to start walking and/or working out if I hope to see any major losses but for now I'm holding that off as much as I can because I'm averse to physical effort with no destination (I don't like walking for walking's sake - I have to have a destination like to a library or such).

I run my AC usually at 67 (the utilities are included in my monthly rent at the dorm) but I've considered putting it up at 78. Would this help me burn calories at all?

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 11:19 pm

I've never experienced or heard of that. If I had to hazard a wild guess, it might be that colder temps would burn more calories as the body seeks to maintain a steady core temperature. But either way I imagine any impacts within the range you state would be inconsequential.

Factory Ten
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jul 2015, 12:05 am

Marky9 wrote:
I've never experienced or heard of that. If I had to hazard a wild guess, it might be that colder temps would burn more calories as the body seeks to maintain a steady core temperature. But either way I imagine any impacts within the range you state would be inconsequential.

Agreed that, by itself, it would be inconsequential. I thought of that too but then I thought "what if my body simply adapts to the colder temperature by burning less calories to keep the fat on me?"

I really should just break out my old tennis shoes, shouldn't I? :(

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Jul 2015, 1:17 am

If you turn it up high enough so you'd sweat you'd might. I heard sweating helps get rid of weight but not sure if that's true.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 6:20 am

Turning it lower might be better.

If the surroundings get hot, your body will do everything it can to stay cool: including using less energy.

If it is cold, however, your body will start using more energy (calories) to stay warm.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 6:52 am

izzeme wrote:
Turning it lower might be better.

If the surroundings get hot, your body will do everything it can to stay cool: including using less energy.

If it is cold, however, your body will start using more energy (calories) to stay warm.

This is proven to be so.

One guy sells "ice vests" that lower your core temp...forcing your body to burn calories to stay warm.