Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2015, 5:07 pm

Can Asperger ppl be different when their are adults? I'm saying can adults have more symptoms than teenagers?

doofy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2015, 6:39 pm

I've got a lot more aspie as I've got older

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2015, 7:47 pm

Asperger traits can become more severe as social and financial pressure and expectations increase

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2015, 7:50 pm

Throughout most of my adult life, symptoms got better as I developed better coping skills. Then, around my mid50's, it became increasingly hard to apply those skills, so symptoms have worsened.

I have read that others have a similar experience. UC Berkeley recently received a grant to study the effects of aging on ASD, so hopefully some good will come from that.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2015, 10:44 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
Can Asperger ppl be different when their are adults? I'm saying can adults have more symptoms than teenagers?

Me and my friends believe I have Aspergers, and if that is true, than the answer is "yes".

I think adults can exhibit more or less symptoms that teenagers. I exhibit less sometimes, and the same other times. Depends on what I'm doing. For the most part it's less. That includes my comorbid of tourettes syndrome and OCD.

I am able to better manage those, and probably because my hormones are not going "caddy-wampus" like when I was a teenager. This is actually common for people diagnosed with tourettes. It tapers off as you become an adult, but might always still be there.

Hope that helps. :)

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 2:18 am

Your traits and symptoms can and will change as you get older indeed; they can either get worse or better, some one way some another.

the biggest difference is that older aspies (usually) learned to live with their symptoms and compensate for their issues.
this creates the illusion that they 'grew out' or 'got cured'

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 3:19 am

I live with my sister, she DON'T understand me & believe me, I told her over & over again about my Asperger, my voice get high when I get very angry, I can work on lowering my voice, but I can't do it if she gets mad & yells at me. I also have less social skills, I never made real friends when I was in school. I have Cerebral Palsy too, I had a really bad speech problem in school too. She told me maybe you don't have Asperger, cuz she is not socially too, she had friends in school. She thinks she knows everything about Asperger, she even told me she knew more about my Asperger than our mom. She been treating me badly & making me feel sooo bad. I want to scream & want to run away from her, I'm soooo sick & tired of defending myself. The way she been treating me & making me feel, she cause my speech to get really bad again, too much stress can cause my speech to get bad.