Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jul 2015, 5:57 pm

How do you get around?

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 6:01 pm

Mostly by foot for distances up to 4km and elsewhere by public transport including trains and trams. Try to avoid using cars and buses.

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2015, 6:03 pm

I walk or take a taxi most of the time. Sometimes people are nice enough to drive me places. I live in a rather small town so there's not really any good public transit like buses or trains here.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 6:04 pm

I lived without a car for most of my adult life.

I took trains, buses, walked.

In Bergen County, you'll have to rely on the infrequent buses. I know public transportation sucks there.

I would try to get my license, if you could.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 6:08 pm

Train, bicycle, walking, bus.

I don't need a car.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

duck12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jul 2015, 6:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I lived without a car for most of my adult life.

I took trains, buses, walked.

In Bergen County, you'll have to rely on the infrequent buses. I know public transportation sucks there.

I would try to get my license, if you could.

I am capable of getting a license but I'm waiting on an agency to get back to me on getting a drivers evaluation, and its taking forever. No and to make matters worse I live in a very small town so forget about finding any type of public transport here, luckily my job is just a few blocks away so I can walk there if needed.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 6:11 pm

Why don't you get a permit and have somebody (if possible) give you driving lessons.

Maybe you should also give the folks who give the drivers' evaluations a call as well.

duck12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jul 2015, 6:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Why don't you get a permit and have somebody (if possible) give you driving lessons.

Maybe you should also give the folks who give the drivers' evaluations a call as well.

I have the permit, mum doesn't want to do the task of driving and my dad doesn't talk to me anymore. Its too expensive, were waiting on the deduction of funds.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 6:22 pm

Oh yeah...that thing with your father.

I can't help it--I've never heard anybody from Jersey call their mother "mum." It's usually, "MAAAAAA!! !!."

At least you're proper--I'll say that for you!

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 7:26 pm

In the summer I mostly ride my bike, and sometimes walk places. For most of the winter, I take public transit or I walk (although some year, if I can save up for winter tires, I might try winter cycling).

If cycling, walking, or public transit aren't options, then I either take a taxi or I get a ride from someone I know.

Love transcends all.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 8:38 pm

Mostly by foot, and I kinda like it. I wish I have a bike, but not enough money...

I would like to learn more about driving a motorcycle, but I don't wanna risk it by suddenly going on a heavier ones like my mom rides everyday.

At the same time, I refuse to use public transportation unless needed. I walk as often as possible.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 4:18 am

It depends on where I live. If it's in a city I usually walk, or take the bus if I need to for longer distances. Where I live now my only practical means of transportation is calling my parents and having them drive me. So mostly I just stay home.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 4:45 am

I ride my bike, or call up my dad and ask him for a ride somewhere. I for one can't wait for driverless cars to be a thing, so that I can get around independently without having to deal with the stress of actually driving a vehicle. As for why I don't drive, well, it's a combination of cost, difficulty in getting through the learning materials, and some bad experiences involving motor vehicles. Plus, having driven around in back fields, I don't feel nearly in control of a truck as I do with something smaller like a bicycle or an ATV.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 4:59 am

I catch the train. If I have to, I also catch the bus as well. Where I live public transport is hopeless. Transperth is very unreliable and poorly operated. I want to find a better job but the transport issue is making it very difficult.

I chose to live near a train station so that I can easily go to places. So shopping is fairly easy. Also, very luckily, a big 24/7 store (not common around here) opened within a minute's walk from the next station, which I could walk to from home if I need to.

Oh, and I sometimes ride the bike, too.

MiLK
Raven
Raven

14 Jul 2015, 5:09 am

duck12 wrote:
How do you get around?

Is this perhaps a question with the U.S. situation regarding public transport in the back of the mind? From what I have been told and from the things I have tried to arrange for someone through the Internet (looking up time tables, routes and cost) traveling to the U.S., the U.S. is a very car-oriented place. There are many large places that do have decent public transport but, as a whole, getting from point A to point B, which may lie outside the city, can be very hard. I hope this is a correct description?

My country has been very much fine-tuned to public transport. There aren't many places you can't get to with public transport. It is usually cheaper than going by car.

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2015, 7:15 am

I cannot spend more than a few minutes in a motor vehicle because of severe motion sickness sensitivity.

I cannot drive myself because I have ADHD and I zone out, the zoning out being part of a separate disorder to the ADHD. I also have very poor spatial awareness and could never drive on those narrow contra flow roads without hitting the car on the other side or freaking out.

Also a most of the intuitive abilities required for driving, I do not have. Things to do with confidently trusting and understanding the behaviour of the vehicle on the road, at different speeds under different conditions. I would really need to obssess with driving, learn how to dismantle and rebuild a car, to practice racing at high speeds on all terrains with an instructor and closed circuit, before I could drive.

By which point I would be able to drive, but would still need something to help with the focus and zoning out.