Do you think it's possible that Pluto is NOT a dwarf planet?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 8:24 am

I never thought we'd get this sort of view of Pluto in my lifetime!

I wonder if astronomers will reconsider Pluto's status as a "dwarf planet." Especially if they measure it, and find that the diameter is 4,000 miles or thereabouts.

Do you think this could possibly happen?

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 8:27 am

It would be exciting - I know they said it's bigger than they thought, but how much I don't know. This is all very interesting. :D I didn't think there was so much to be discovered about our own solar system.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 8:34 am

I was VERY sad when they "demoted" Pluto. I grew up with Pluto as a full-fledged, oddball planet with the funny, eccentric orbit. There was an air of mystery about it.

I get the feeling this "mystery" will lessen considerably over the coming days.

I truly hope they place Pluto, once again, on the Pantheon of Full-Fledged Planets.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 8:42 am

Yeah, I remember it very well. I was only 9 :P I had previously learned about planets and learned the order as "My Very Easy Method Just Speeds Up Naming Planets" (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto) and was probably more upset that didn't work anymore. :lol:

Pluto's diameter is only 2370 km though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 8:50 am

They've changed the diameter measurements so many times in my lifetime!

In the 1970s, the range was from about 1,000 miles to 4,000 miles.

We shall see what the final determination is.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 3:01 pm

I took my username as I became aware of Asperger's around the time that Pluto was reclassified.I felt empathy with it. My avatar is a bit of fun,it used to be a picture of the planet.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 4:56 pm

Possibly.
Though Pluto is confirmed to be a gradually eroding hunk of ice due to both solar weather and other spacial stuff.
It is expected that one day Pluto will erode completely away.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 5:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was VERY sad when they "demoted" Pluto. I grew up with Pluto as a full-fledged, oddball planet with the funny, eccentric orbit. There was an air of mystery about it.

I get the feeling this "mystery" will lessen considerably over the coming days.

I truly hope they place Pluto, once again, on the Pantheon of Full-Fledged Planets.

The difference they suddenly came up with between planetesimals and planets, seemed pretty arbitrary to me.

Bask in the splendor:

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/
http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Mission/Where-i ... /index.php
http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/News-Archives.php
http://eyes.nasa.gov/
http://eyes.nasa.gov/eyes-on-pluto.html

I highly recommend the app on the last link.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 5:26 pm

It looks like a planet (or planetini) to me.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 8:41 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I never thought we'd get this sort of view of Pluto in my lifetime!

I wonder if astronomers will reconsider Pluto's status as a "dwarf planet." Especially if they measure it, and find that the diameter is 4,000 miles or thereabouts.

Do you think this could possibly happen?

HIGHLY unlikely that the astronomy community will reinstate a radically bigger size for Pluto.

They might change its diameter by a few dozen miles, but they wont declare that the 1470 mile wide sphere is as big as Mars (4000 miles). They've been zeroing in on the object for a long time, and pretty much know its size.

Also there is another issue: Eris.

In the Nineties they discovered Eris orbiting way beyond Pluto which is a hair smaller than Pluto but is 27 percent more massive than Pluto- making Pluto the tenth most massive (but still the nineth biggest) object known to be orbiting the Sun. So if you reinstate Pluto as a "planet" you might have to also promote Eris to planet status. And then Pluto would no longer have the distinction of being the "last" planet at the edge of the Solar System because Eris is three times the distance from the Sun as Pluto.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 8:55 pm

All I can say is it's about time Lil Ole Pluto got his due. He mostly just gets ignored but that's in the past! The term for small planets is planetoid and Pluto got demoted to that but maybe seeing him will enable an upgrade to planet?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 9:01 pm

Quote:
Scientists on Monday said New Horizons already has settled one debate about Pluto -- its size. Information gathered by the probe indicates Pluto is 1,473 miles (2,370 kilometers) in diameter. That's somewhat bigger than earlier estimates, and it means Pluto is larger than all other known solar system objects beyond the orbit of Neptune.
The nitrogen atmosphere is tenuous, at best. Ices of water and ammonia cover the surface.

Not much to see here, folks! Move along! :wink:

Seriously, it's good to finally settle some assumptions and speculation regarding Pluto.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 9:06 pm

Ceres had the exact same thing happen in the 1800's but to simply "asteroid" status. The Pluto classification incident promoted it to alongside Pluto's rank.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 9:11 pm

I suspect that it may be a jelly-filled pastry.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 11:13 pm

It was just discovered that Pluto is not actually a planet. The Sun and the Moon were once classified as planets until it became discovered that they weren't.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 4:18 am

It's just semantics.