Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

GoofyGreatDane
Raven
Raven

14 Jul 2015, 2:56 pm

I often just don't get hungry. Eating is like a chore. My body doesn't tell me to eat regularly like other people's. Sometimes I eat my first meal of the day at night. Is this normal? Do a lot of people with AS have this issue?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 3:45 pm

I think it's unusual, but maybe understandable if you get focussed on special interests as strongly as I do.

I hardly notice hunger as long as I've got something to do. It's the hyper-focus. When I had a job I didn't eat until lunchtime. I always felt a bit tired and sick in the mornings anyway, so skipping breakfast was a useful way of allowing myself a bit of extra time in bed. I resented paying cafe prices at work, so I'd just wait till I could go home for lunch.

At home, I tend to find meals get in the way when I'm busy, so I often go for many hours without eating, though once I start eating I often realise how hungry I was. I feel quite advantaged because of course I really enjoy my food after such a long (and painless) fast. Normal people probably never experience that pleasure.

The only time I really notice hunger is if I go to bed without a good supper. I guess that's because I don't have anything else to focus on. A lot of people say it's hard to sleep on a full stomach, but for me it's quite the reverse.

Convenient snacks are very different though, because they don't get in the way and because chewing is one of my stims, so if there's a packet of biscuits near me, I've soon eaten them all. As they're not very healthy, I keep thinking I shouldn't buy them, but I sometimes go through phases when I've got nothing to do, and without a few snacks I start feeling like I'll go insane through boredom. I also seem to have to eat a lot of snacks while I'm Skyping, presumably to reduce the social stress. I keep wondering if I could create a really healthy, convenient, tasty, inexpensive snack, like biscuits only without all the dangerous ingredients.

So there you are. Appetite doesn't really exist for me. As I both over-eat and under-eat, my weight remains normal.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 3:52 pm

I don't get hungry, I start to starve and then I eat. But when I am not starving, I often forget to eat and it never enters my mind. Unless we have sweets around, then I eat because I love sweets. But yet I remain thin and I wonder if my poor diet keeps me that way.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 4:40 pm

Breakfast and supper are my routine and chewing is a sort of stim to me so I usually don't forget about "dinner" either. But I eat random snacks instead of healthy meals during dinner time and it isn't just one meal - I rather slowly eat multiple small dishes than eating a full dinner in one go. And when I happen to eat a real dinner it makes me hungry much sooner than the multiple small dishes I eat everyday. After a hour or two I feel hungry like I ate nothing despite the fact my belly seems full.

However if my hyperfocus ticks I tend to forget about everything up to 9 hours straight and then suddenly I realize I am so hungry I am about to collapse.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 5:30 pm

Too good.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 5:32 pm

Why, did you plan on cooking me something?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 6:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Too good.

:lol:

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 6:56 pm

anxiety makes me want to eat if I'm hungry or not, - especially chocolate.

tinyteddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2015, 7:16 pm

i have had periods of not wanting to eat if i am really stressed or depressed

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 8:43 pm

I normally feel hungry in the morning for breakfast. Even if I don't, I have a rule for myself to always eat breakfast.

I sometimes skip lunch even if I'm a little hungry.

When I was a kid, I was a gluttonous food monger, and got up to 325lbs. by the age of 12. 8O No bueño!

After I stopped the medication that my dad had me on, I started to lose weight. Then I started exercising and using self control with eating. I went overboard and got down to 146lbs. which is also not healthy for my body mass index.

Years later, my appetite is mostly normal, but I'm especially hungry when I'm working hard, which is only normal. :|

I find that I normally don't have the desire or ability to eat in the same way as when I was a kid.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 8:47 pm

You were one big 12 year old! Seems like you probably don't weight 325 now. I should probably be really proud of you.

I thought I was fat when I was 12--when I was 4 foot 6, and weighed 92 pounds. I did weight 111 lbs. when I was 9, and was 4 foot 1.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 9:56 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You were one big 12 year old! Seems like you probably don't weight 325 now. I should probably be really proud of you.

I thought I was fat when I was 12--when I was 4 foot 6, and weighed 92 pounds. I did weight 111 lbs. when I was 9, and was 4 foot 1.

Haha! You were just a little piglet, but I was an overgrown walrus. I had a hard time fitting in the movie theater seats, for crying out loud. Are you kiddin'? NASA demoted me to a "dwarf planet" just to be nice. Pluto was gettin' pretty jealous.

Really, though, when I came down to a normal weight, it was a time when I was becoming a Christian, and literally praying about what, and how I should be eating. It was a very positive and important time in my life, and much good was gained from the whole experience! Though it did take a lot of hard work and suffering within. Everything is much more stable now.

I weigh about 180lbs. now, and look like a normal human. 165 - 170lbs. would be my ideal weight, accounting for the muscle in my head!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Jul 2015, 10:30 pm

I used to eat one meal a day cuz I was very picky eater & didn't cook so I pigged out when mom had a meal for me at night. I don't do that nowadays cuz I'm on meds & supplements that require meals 3x a day & I'm living with my girlfriend who eats meals 3x a day. I find I do sometimes get hungry if I eat meals late cuz my body is used to me eating 3x a day nowadays.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 2:33 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Too good.

That feel. :(
I have the same appetite that I did when I was 28 kilos heavier even though I literally cannot eat that much anymore.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 3:37 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
As I both over-eat and under-eat, my weight remains normal.

Seems to be the case for me too. Never had problems with weight - always been healthy weight since birth. I've never really had breakfast and sometimes don't even have lunch at the moment. I'm not very active currently so maybe it's that but I sometimes go a day or so without eating. But last night I ate a metric fucktonne and that was a huge mistake. Not the first time I've done that, either. Even though I don't really feel hungry if you put food in front of me I'll probably eat it and just regret it later because I'll feel sick for the next few hours (have actually thrown up from overeating... :oops: ). And yet it all balances out to make me a healthy weight. :shrug: The only times this doesn't happen is when I weigh out my food and portion sizes but I'm just being a lazy f**k at the moment.

Myriad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jul 2015, 4:20 am

I've always had a perpetually huge appetite. I was born fat and didn't lose weight until my teens where I made a deliberate effort to restrict my energy intake. Even still, I struggle with listening to my hunger cues and even when I know I'm not physically hungry, I continue to eat unless I'm having a 'good day' where I'm sticking to a calorie limit. When I'm trying to lose weight I get a bit obsessive with counting calories, actually. It feels like the only way I can lose / maintain my weight and stay in control. I'm also an emotional eater, which makes things even worse!

AQ: 39 / 50