Murder rates drop as concealed carry permits soar: report

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 10:47 am

WashingtonTimes.com wrote:
The number of concealed carry handgun permits has skyrocketed since President Obama was first elected, while murder rates have fallen, according to a new report released Wednesday.

Since 2007, the number of concealed handgun permits has soared from 4.6 million to over 12.8 million, and murder rates have fallen from 5.6 killings per 100,000 people to just 4.2, about a 25 percent drop, according to the report from the Crime Prevention Research Center....

WashingtonTimes.com: "Murder rates drop as concealed carry permits soar: report" (July 14, 2015)
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... mits-soar-

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 11:08 am

But, but, but gunz arnt tha ansir. We cant just have pepl runing arownd with gunz pritending 2 b tha polees.
Thnik ov tha childern!

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 11:14 am

Raptor wrote:
But, but, but gunz arnt tha ansir. We cant just have pepl runing arownd with gunz pritending 2 b tha polees.
Thnik ov tha childern!

John Lott (an acquaintance of mine) is awesome, huh? His statistical analyses of firearms (he is an economist by profession) are always amazing.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 11:20 am

It's good to hear some good news for a change.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 11:21 am

So far 41 homicides in OKC this year and that's not counting the weekend so it might be even higher now. They said 41 the other day on the news when a woman's body was found in an apartment. That's a pretty high number but it's not the highest it's ever been nor is it the lowest. A city much like ours, in size and population, Portland Oregon, is consistently lower every single year. MUCH lower, too. In fact, it should be OKC's goal to get it down to those statistics every year. Concealed and Open Carry are a common in the area.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 11:33 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
So far 41 homicides in OKC this year and that's not counting the weekend so it might be even higher now. They said 41 the other day on the news when a woman's body was found in an apartment. That's a pretty high number but it's not the highest it's ever been nor is it the lowest. A city much like ours, in size and population, Portland Oregon, is consistently lower every single year. MUCH lower, too. In fact, it should be OKC's goal to get it down to those statistics every year. Concealed and Open Carry are a common in the area.

You support open carry?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

15 Jul 2015, 12:11 pm

Homicides have been going up for a couple years in my old home town, I'm not sure how true it is tho since they've only just recently been called out for essentially "cooking the books" but for my entire life they had sad the crime was falling but for real people all they needed to do was just look around they'd see the truth.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 1:42 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

You support open carry?

TBH I am indifferent. I wasn't on the sidelines saying I want open carry nor was I saying this will never happen here so long as I am breathing.

It's a matter of facts and the facts in this city do not support that open carry has an impact on crime. What impacts crimes are other factors. I've read that gang rivalries can have a lot to do with it, so if a cartel moves in on another's territory, there can be an explosion in violence. One recent year there was something like a hundred murders in the city only outdone by another year a building was blown up with mass casualties and the media reported it was because a cartel was attempting to gain territory. Whether that is happening this year I can't tell you but I do know, the murder rate is already high this year and bound to go higher. There could very well be close to 100 murders this year if the trend continues with or without concealed or open carry.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 2:35 pm

Our rates of murder and violent crime are signiicantly less here in the UK than in the US. We have very few guns and the Police are not usually armed. However, I suggest that guns are not the biggest factor in these statistics. The discussion on that would go way deep. The mindset of people in the US is so completely different to the UK.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-inf ... ates/Crime
You can go straight to the last item on the page.

I am interested to know why so many people are now wanting to carry guns in the US. Is there a growing feeling of insecurity?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 2:57 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

okcupid has homicides :o

but seriously wheres okc?

i hope you live there and not Portland :s
well no i hope you live in neither, but given only two choices. I hope you're safe wherever you all though.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 3:00 pm

Grebels wrote:
Our rates of murder and violent crime are signiicantly less here in the UK than in the US. We have very few guns and the Police are not usually armed. However, I suggest that guns are not the biggest factor in these statistics. The discussion on that would go way deep. The mindset of people in the US is so completely different to the UK.

I am interested to know why so many people are now wanting to carry guns in the US. Is there a growing feeling of insecurity?

That is true when considering the number of murder and violent crimes, but, when considering the crimes as a percentage of the population, the United Kingdom outpaces the United States ( http://www.gunfacts.info/gun-control-my ... -countries ).

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 3:05 pm

Grebels wrote:

well here we solved money problems by cutting police numbers. the police tell people to get permits and carry guns.
one county only operates 9-5 week days , if you get attacked after that or on the weekends you're on you're own. they'll switch you to the state police who themselves have been cut. in the one case a lady was being raped on phone with 911 well the closet state trooper was like 2-4 hours a way. so couldn't help. all they could do was listen and hope guy didn't kill her. other cases it takes a 5-15 minutes for cops to get there. you can be dead in less then 1 minute. so they say encourage people to be able to defend themselves. we also cut fire departments. though its been encouraged for long time for people to have their own fire extinguishers

indeed the use is a mix of bunch of cultures. also uk has been use to serving the gov for thousands of years. the US broke free of that and pioneered the west. why does Russian people love dictators so much? they love being controlled. they'll more so then UK or France though.

Japanese are the same. its different societies. though the UK keeps taking more and more guns from criminals. I'm no expert but if you banned them and there's no more coming in should' tit be less and less til there's none left?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 3:08 pm

I also think that guns have very little to do with overall crime rate (either pro regulation or pro rights).

There isn't proven rule of thumb, you are always able to find some place that reflects the contrary position. In reality there is no conclusive evidence of either correlation or a cause at all.

It more logical to consider the more primary factors like poverty, corruption, culture of crime, etc. first.
These are always going to be far bigger factors in overall crime rate.

I think each country/state needs to figure out its own policy on guns. However as far as crime is concerned this point is overstressed, it doesn't address the real causes of crime.

Quite honesty this debate is getting a bit old. US can do what it likes as I'm concerned. Countries are not the same, what works in one country mightn't work in another.

I'd only get involved in this is people make claims about the UK, or other countries, to try an prove a point about some national issue in their country. Especially to correct inaccuracies.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 3:16 pm

The majority of homicides are committed by someone known to the victim.

Spree killing is quite rare, but makes a good news story.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 8:13 pm

sly279 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

okcupid has homicides :o

but seriously wheres okc?

i hope you live there and not Portland :s
well no i hope you live in neither, but given only two choices. I hope you're safe wherever you all though.

It's in Oklahoma. You are safer in Portland than you are in OKC, abbreviation for Oklahoma City. Considering the size and population, OKC should have a comparable murder rate to Portland only it's frequently much higher. Cartels are supposedly to blame.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 8:47 pm

interestingly the report points out that CCP holders have 1/7th the firearms violations of police(in FL and TX). I can't decide whether that's a good thing for CCP or a comment on law enforcement.

here's the full report if anyone is interested: http://crimepreventionresearchcenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2015-Report-from-the-Crime-Prevention-Research-Center-Final.pdf