Anyone know how I can work from home? (UK only)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 1:19 am

I've wrote various posts here about job search woes, but I am very keen on working from home, like a typing/emailing job online from a home computer. I've been looking online, searching through various websites, but I'm finding it difficult to find what I'm looking for. A lot of home business jobs pop up but that is not what I want. I'm trying to find something where I am working for an existing company that take on home jobs. I think working from home will be good for me, because I suffer with anxiety disorder.

Does anybody know of any home job sites where I can apply, which are legal and safe to sign up for?

Thank you.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 10:32 am

Nobody?

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 10:41 am

I don't know of any. Otherwise it seems to me you are doing that best that can be done. I might think patience and persistence may prove key to a successful at-home job search.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 12:43 pm

There are "entrepreneurial" kinds of things like becoming a seller on e-bay, or in a similar vein there are stand-alone companies that let you design T-shirts, mugs, etc and use their software to create an online storefront -- but then it's up to you to promote it, give out business cards, advertize it, etc.

Apparently people make money even from stuff like thinking up new ideas for that "Keep calm and carry on" slogan for t-shirts and coffee mugs, thinking up new variations, like "Keep calm and think about George Clooney".

Of conventional jobs, the people I've known who worked from home seem to have been people in some kind of IT related field, who had been working at the corporation offices but then got to move into working from home more and more.

I know someone who is an editor for the website literature of a major charity entity. She edits other staff's articles about their latest projects and fundraisers.

I'm not sure but I think some types of call centre work/customer service work for an existing company can be done from home; you would have to get set up with a headset.

I don't know about the UK, but in the US there was a small airline who employed customer service people who worked out of their homes.

If you know any other languages, I knew a woman who taught English as a second language to foreign students, and company that provided these teachers used Skype as the way the teachers and students had their lessons.

You could google on "customer service jobs work from home" or ESL work from home.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 6:53 am

There are a lot of work-at-home roles out there. Some might be easier for you to take on as there is no people-facing or much interaction even over a computer or phone. Here's some examples:

*Remote server maintenance/engineer
*Remote admin
*Call center work from home (mothers and the physically disabled usually get priority for the home slots, though).

There are also more senior office jobs that allow you to take your equipment home but there's still a requirement to work some hours in the office. I work from home sometimes but ultimately I have to go to my place of work several times a week.

Then there's self employment. If you have a business plan and are prepared to put in the hours this could be your best option. Be your own boss! :)

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 3:58 pm

Hey, Joe90, have you had any more thoughts about this?
How's it all going?