Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

chapstan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jul 2015, 9:01 pm

When did the criminal justice system start having prison sentences run concurrently? Someone is convicted of 3 crimes, with sentences of 5 years each, but instead of then serving 15 years, they serve 5 years because the sentences are concurrent instead of consecutive.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the overcrowding in jails and prisons.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Jul 2015, 6:45 am

It depends on the nature of the crime.

If someone beats you up and steals your money, they've (hypothetically) committed theft, robbery, GBH, assault, and battery. In such a situation, they've only committed one crime, but that crime broke many laws. A sentence of 10 years would be disproportionate - simultaneously doing five two-year sentences, less so.

If someone beats up three people and robs two other people, that's obviously more serious, and in such a case they will serve consecutive sentences.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 5:58 pm

I work in a field directly related to the criminal justice system in New York City.

Concurrent sentences are the norm here, not the exception. And it's been that way for many, many years.

If somebody robs three people, especially if the robberies occurred within a few days of each other, a concurrent sentence is likely. It is very rare for sentences to run consecutively--unless the person has been convicted of robbery, say, three previous separate times.

chapstan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jul 2015, 8:17 pm

KK;

Somehow I thought you were a computer guy. Is the combined sentence thing only for anything short of murder, or grievous bodily harm? Non-violent, "victimless" etc?

You come across very calm and reasonable on here, so I take it you don't bring work home with you and/or have found a way so that it doesn't stress you.

About 15 years ago, I worked as a "counselor" in a group home, more like a guard/ babysitter. These guys had misbehaved somewhere along the way, bad enough to be removed from the home, but not bad enough to be in juvenile detention center. They didn't need counselor they needed drill sergeants.

Because I have been in the Army, people say, "Thank you for your service." Well, my hat is off to You, that is serving your community as well.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 8:43 pm

Actually LOL....I'm a "computer guy" in a loose sense. I'm a data-entry operator.

I've seen concurrent sentences for pretty violent crimes, actually. Perhaps even murder.

Murder in the Second Degree (which is charged for the vast majority of murder cases in NYC) carries a mandatory 15 years-to-life sentence. I believe I've seen cases where a person killed two people and got a concurrent sentence--though I'm not sure of this.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 9:10 pm

It might have something to do with minimum sentencing guidelines being unmitigated horses**t.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 2:05 am

It is in the norm in the UK too. In fact the whole point of having of sentencing guideline is there the option set it higher as allowed.

Harold Shipman got consecutive sentences (with recommendation that he was never released), but was only tried for a fraction of his crimes. Then the home secretary confirmed a whole life tariff (I agree with the hole life tariff in this case, but disagree on principle with the Home Secretary or any politician interfering with sentencing).

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 2:23 am

I don't know...when did they decide non-violent drug offenses are worse crimes than child molestation/rape? Hence child molesters getting out after 6 years, and mandatory minimum sentences of 20 years or more for non violent drug offense. or has our Justice system ever had its priorities straight?

Though I thought it was only if the crimes happened together...that happens with the sentence, as opposed to like if someone went and robbed a store, than a week later they break a few car windows, and then a few months down the road they steal someones bike and get caught for all this....well I would imagine in that case they would get charged seperately and have to carry out all the seperate sentences, but if someone robbed a store, broke some car windows and steal someones bike all in one go...I imagine in that case they would just serve one sentence for the whole collection of crimes.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 2:32 am

It really depends on the seriousness of the crimes committed. --If the crimes are especially heinous, then yes, the chances that the perpetrator recieves consecutive sentances goes up.