How do you interact with people with Down's Syndrome?

Page 5 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Oct 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 894
Location: Nowhere

13 May 2009, 10:20 pm

I do disagree with the government enforcing eugenics upon the populace. Left Wing societies tend to disregard the needs of the individual in favor of faceless utilitarianism.



TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,410
Location: Sandusky, Ohio

13 May 2009, 10:21 pm

timeisdead wrote:
I do disagree with the government enforcing eugenics upon the populace. Left Wing societies tend to disregard the needs of the individual in favor of faceless utilitarianism.


Aren't most of them left wing societies? Right Wing usually do the same thing, but for "religion".

That's why I'm no longer political...and what does this have anything to do with DS?



Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,599

13 May 2009, 10:22 pm

timeisdead wrote:
Can a person with Down's Syndrome become a physician?


Does it matter? Can a person with Autism be one (no)? Can someone with AS be one, yes, but it's very rare.

Zoonic,

Adaptive functioning is how you adapt to society in vocational pursuits, academia and social functioning, which is the baseline for how well someone can adapt to society. And you're incorrect again, as it's Europe and Australia that lumps people with HFA into AS (both have the same level of intelligence, which is why they do it), whereas the US uses the standardized DSM-IV-TR (which uses language development, among other things).

So again, if people with AS can't adapt as well as someone with DS in today's society, how does that make AS any better than DS? Not to mention that it's morally unsound to base someone's right to life on a disorder they do or don't have.

I can easily say that said person with DS that's independent is far more deserving of life than a leech such as yourself, but that's incorrect, as it's your disorder that makes you how you are.



timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Oct 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 894
Location: Nowhere

13 May 2009, 10:29 pm

TheDoctor82 wrote:
timeisdead wrote:
I do disagree with the government enforcing eugenics upon the populace. Left Wing societies tend to disregard the needs of the individual in favor of faceless utilitarianism.


Aren't most of them left wing societies? Right Wing usually do the same thing, but for "religion".

That's why I'm no longer political...and what does this have anything to do with DS?

What does this have to do with DS? Forced eugenics has been advocated in the thread. I was simply pointing out that most left wing societies have no regard for the individual and only care for the perceived good of the collective.



timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Oct 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 894
Location: Nowhere

13 May 2009, 10:32 pm

delete



Last edited by timeisdead on 13 May 2009, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,410
Location: Sandusky, Ohio

13 May 2009, 10:32 pm

Yeah, but wouldn't that fit more into the political forum?



timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Oct 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 894
Location: Nowhere

13 May 2009, 10:33 pm

delete



Last edited by timeisdead on 13 May 2009, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,599

13 May 2009, 10:34 pm

timeisdead wrote:
I never said they were undeserving of life; please work on your reading comprehension. A leech such as myself? What a wonderful thing to say! You certainly taught me a wonderful lesson of tolerance of understanding! Oh how can I ever repay you? :roll:


I'm not talking to you; it was to Zoonic. Take your own advice with the reading comprehension.



timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Oct 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 894
Location: Nowhere

13 May 2009, 10:37 pm

Quote:
Does it matter? Can a person with Autism be one (no)? Can someone with AS be one, yes, but it's very rare.


I can, as medicine is one of my special interests. My AS never affected me academically.



Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 572

13 May 2009, 10:38 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
timeisdead wrote:
Can a person with Down's Syndrome become a physician?


Does it matter? Can a person with Autism be one (no)? Can someone with AS be one, yes, but it's very rare.

Zoonic,

Adaptive functioning is how you adapt to society in vocational pursuits, academia and social functioning, which is the baseline for how well someone can adapt to society. And you're incorrect again, as it's Europe and Australia that lumps people with HFA into AS (both have the same level of intelligence, which is why they do it), whereas the US uses the standardized DSM-IV-TR (which uses language development, among other things).

So again, if people with AS can't adapt as well as someone with DS in today's society, how does that make AS any better than DS? Not to mention that it's morally unsound to base someone's right to life on a disorder they do or don't have.

I can easily say that said person with DS that's independent is far more deserving of life than a leech such as yourself, but that's incorrect, as it's your disorder that makes you how you are.


You still don't get it.

DS will always be handicapped and challenged in ANY society, whether it exists or not. Asperger people can function well if society is suited to them. DS is a malformity, AS isn't.



Last edited by Zoonic on 13 May 2009, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,432
Location: New Jersey

13 May 2009, 10:42 pm

i dont treat people with down syndrome any different then i treat an NT, i treat any person with any type of disability the same as everybody else. My cousin has down syndrome, hes da coolest ever! When he comes over i notice he treats me differently the others, almost like he knows im autistic, its weird.


_________________
Being Normal Is Vastly Overrated :wall:


Last edited by Age1600 on 13 May 2009, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Oct 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 894
Location: Nowhere

13 May 2009, 10:42 pm

TheDoctor82 wrote:
Yeah, but wouldn't that fit more into the political forum?

It relates to some of the responses I have seen in this topic.



Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 572

13 May 2009, 10:43 pm

timeisdead wrote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:
timeisdead wrote:
I do disagree with the government enforcing eugenics upon the populace. Left Wing societies tend to disregard the needs of the individual in favor of faceless utilitarianism.


Aren't most of them left wing societies? Right Wing usually do the same thing, but for "religion".

That's why I'm no longer political...and what does this have anything to do with DS?

What does this have to do with DS? Forced eugenics has been advocated in the thread. I was simply pointing out that most left wing societies have no regard for the individual and only care for the perceived good of the collective.


It won't be left wing societies that start paying for tailor made babies. It will be american upper class families in New England and Hollywood celebrities. In 100 years these people will pay private enterprises to tailor make their babies and this will be the beginning of the end for people with down's and autism. The left wing countries will scream in rage when this process starts but nothing will stop it and it will inevitably lead to all the disabled people being born in the third world and among the lower classes. In the end, the people who migrate to space will be those who once had the money to pay private companies to perfect their DNA.



timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Oct 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 894
Location: Nowhere

13 May 2009, 10:47 pm

Zoonic wrote:
timeisdead wrote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:
timeisdead wrote:
I do disagree with the government enforcing eugenics upon the populace. Left Wing societies tend to disregard the needs of the individual in favor of faceless utilitarianism.


Aren't most of them left wing societies? Right Wing usually do the same thing, but for "religion".

That's why I'm no longer political...and what does this have anything to do with DS?

What does this have to do with DS? Forced eugenics has been advocated in the thread. I was simply pointing out that most left wing societies have no regard for the individual and only care for the perceived good of the collective.


It won't be left wing societies that start paying for tailor made babies. It will be american upper class families in New England and Hollywood celebrities. In 100 years these people will pay private enterprises to tailor make their babies and this will be the beginning of the end for people with down's and autism. The left wing countries will scream in rage when this process starts but nothing will stop it and it will inevitably lead to all the disabled people being born in the third world and among the lower classes. In the end, the people who migrate to space will be those who once had the money to pay private companies to perfect their DNA.

Upper class families and Hollywood celebrities typically tend to be socially liberal.



Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,599

13 May 2009, 10:57 pm

Zoonic wrote:
You still don't get it.

DS will always be handicapped and challenged in ANY society, whether it exists or not. Asperger people can function well if society is suited to them. DS is a malformity, AS isn't.


I actually do, as people with AS will be handicapped and challenged in any society, as society is based on social functioning; people with AS are seriously disabled in regards to social functioning, so they'll always be disabled, no matter the society it is. A society is a complex based on social relations, and those with DS aren't as profoundly affected as even the mildest forms of autism in regards to social functioning.

Now, if you were to say that people with AS could function well in a mechanical collective, something like a hive where specialisation is desired, yes, someone with AS will function well if their specialisation is useful to the collective.

Humans aren't insects.