Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 12:21 am

Rudin wrote:
Well the plain crash was actually a very important part of the series. It made Jesse realize that his drug use had the power to kill 167 people indirectly. This made Jesse get sober which was very important because that means Jesse would have never worked with Gus because he doesn't work with junkies as he stated previously.

Jesse was hooked on heroine, meth and weed prior to the plain crash, if the plain crash hadn't happen he would have died (which was Vince Gilligan's plan however Aaron Paul's stunning performance made VG change his mind).

I'm not denying the plane crash was important; it was also crucial for developing Walt into a more ruthless character who could handle the weight of indirectly hurting/killing others. It's just that for all the build-up (the flash-forwards of the pink bear, the police swarming the White house, etc.), it was a little unimpressive, plus it just seemed to come out of nowhere...only in the last few minutes of the season two finale, right before it happened, did we even learn that Jane's dad was an air traffic controller, or that airplanes would even be involved with the series.

Rudin wrote:
Also I have to say Marie was important. Marie is the direct bridge between Walter and Hank if Marie had never married Hank Walter wouldn't be able to bug Hank's office and distract Hank in order to avoid getting busted. Walter Jr however doesn't do much he just eats breakfast and swears. However he is sort of part of Walt's family.

She served a narrative purpose by being a connection to Hank, sure, but that doesn't give her character any depth. Other than being obsessed with purple, she wasn't an interesting or dramatic character on her own, which is likely why they tried to spice her up by making her a kleptomaniac, but it really didn't add anything to the series. I think most fans will agree Marie is probably the weakest character.

For what few dramatic scenes he had, I think Walter Jr. was a very important character. Namely, it was the contrast between Walt's growing villainy and Walt Jr.'s oblivious innocence as the only truly good person in the series; admit it, we were all dreading/awaiting the moment when he'd find out about his dad's secret life. Also, Walt's jealousy over Jr.'s closer relationship with Hank in the first season made him shape up to be tougher and more aggressive, and once Skyler became involved with Walt's criminal life, their children were their only link back to their previous, law-abiding lives, and likely served as Skyler's moral compass which kept her from becoming just as bad as Walt.

Rudin wrote:
I didn't like Lydia really I found here annoying at times she also played a small role in the plot as a whole, however she wasn't pointless.

I also found Todd rather timid and unlike his uncle and his gang. Todd also played a smaller role than Lydia, Walter could of just used Saul's associates.

Lydia didn't really do much other than advance the plot, but I didn't dislike her character. I just don't know if she was deserving of the ricin: after having built up the ricin so much throughout the series, I think I expected it to be used in a much grander fashion rather than just having it end up with Lydia. I remember a lot of fans theorized that Walt would use it on himself, presuming he'd let himself be captured but ensure he'd "never live to see the inside of a jail cell". Nobody probably would have guessed it'd just be used so quickly on a side character.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 7:55 am

Skibz888 wrote:
Rudin wrote:
Well the plain crash was actually a very important part of the series. It made Jesse realize that his drug use had the power to kill 167 people indirectly. This made Jesse get sober which was very important because that means Jesse would have never worked with Gus because he doesn't work with junkies as he stated previously.

Jesse was hooked on heroine, meth and weed prior to the plain crash, if the plain crash hadn't happen he would have died (which was Vince Gilligan's plan however Aaron Paul's stunning performance made VG change his mind).

I'm not denying the plane crash was important; it was also crucial for developing Walt into a more ruthless character who could handle the weight of indirectly hurting/killing others. It's just that for all the build-up (the flash-forwards of the pink bear, the police swarming the White house, etc.), it was a little unimpressive, plus it just seemed to come out of nowhere...only in the last few minutes of the season two finale, right before it happened, did we even learn that Jane's dad was an air traffic controller, or that airplanes would even be involved with the series.

Rudin wrote:
Also I have to say Marie was important. Marie is the direct bridge between Walter and Hank if Marie had never married Hank Walter wouldn't be able to bug Hank's office and distract Hank in order to avoid getting busted. Walter Jr however doesn't do much he just eats breakfast and swears. However he is sort of part of Walt's family.

She served a narrative purpose by being a connection to Hank, sure, but that doesn't give her character any depth. Other than being obsessed with purple, she wasn't an interesting or dramatic character on her own, which is likely why they tried to spice her up by making her a kleptomaniac, but it really didn't add anything to the series. I think most fans will agree Marie is probably the weakest character.

For what few dramatic scenes he had, I think Walter Jr. was a very important character. Namely, it was the contrast between Walt's growing villainy and Walt Jr.'s oblivious innocence as the only truly good person in the series; admit it, we were all dreading/awaiting the moment when he'd find out about his dad's secret life. Also, Walt's jealousy over Jr.'s closer relationship with Hank in the first season made him shape up to be tougher and more aggressive, and once Skyler became involved with Walt's criminal life, their children were their only link back to their previous, law-abiding lives, and likely served as Skyler's moral compass which kept her from becoming just as bad as Walt.

Rudin wrote:
I didn't like Lydia really I found here annoying at times she also played a small role in the plot as a whole, however she wasn't pointless.

I also found Todd rather timid and unlike his uncle and his gang. Todd also played a smaller role than Lydia, Walter could of just used Saul's associates.

Lydia didn't really do much other than advance the plot, but I didn't dislike her character. I just don't know if she was deserving of the ricin: after having built up the ricin so much throughout the series, I think I expected it to be used in a much grander fashion rather than just having it end up with Lydia. I remember a lot of fans theorized that Walt would use it on himself, presuming he'd let himself be captured but ensure he'd "never live to see the inside of a jail cell". Nobody probably would have guessed it'd just be used so quickly on a side character.

That's what I meant by Walt Jr was his family because that was the entire point for about 3 seasons.

Ya Marie was very dramatic. Actually she wears purple for a certain reason. Walt's colour is green, Skyler's is blue, Marie's is purple and Hank's is orange I forget the reason for that but it has something to do with Walter.

Also I was disappointed with the plain crash I expected a lot more of a dramatic ending, so to speak.

It also has a lot of interesting parts in the show and Vince Gilligan is very clever doing that. The pink teddy bear is used a lot actually not just in the foreshadowing. When Hank was holding up Walt's donation jar in the episode "ABQ" notice how his face fits perfectly with the "Wanted" label on top of a sketch of a human body. Also Elliott was wearing a certain outfit and later when Walt had dinner at Gus' house Gus was wearing the same shirt which made Walter determined to become more successful than Gus.

It isn't flawless but it's really close the show has the best ratings of any TV show. The show is also funny and VG does a good job making the audience try to find those bits. I really liked it. I also like the manifestation of Mike throughout the show, at first he seemed to be working for Saul but later we realize Mike has far more authority than Saul.

I feel Walter Jr's cerebral pulsy made him more lovable. It also is inaccurate, the pants Walter threw in the pilot are still in the desert, Hank investigated that spot where Jesse and Walt cooked methamphetamine and could have swab his pants and off to Quantico.

I also really liked the complex relation ship between Walt and Jesse. My favourite character is Jesse.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 8:34 pm

I didn't like the way Walter treated Jesse. I think that said a lot about Walter's morals.

I thought it was interesting that in the socially acceptable way of life, as an uninspiring teacher, he was a failure but in the drug world, he was a master.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 8:48 pm

justkillingtime wrote:
I didn't like the way Walter treated Jesse. I think that said a lot about Walter's morals.

I thought it was interesting that in the socially acceptable way of life, as an uninspiring teacher, he was a failure but in the drug world, he was a master.

Me too. It made me sad that Walter treated Jesse like s**t.

Walter is extremely overqualified to teach high school chemistry he could of been a high paid chemist regardless if he worked for Grey Matter or not.

BTW: Yo, Jesse got mo chedder than a block of cheese.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 9:05 pm

I especially liked the respect Jesse showed to a beetle he found on the street or sidewalk. I realize he did some bad things but I wonder if he symbolizes the inevitable corruption of even the best of people. I always thought of Walter as a father figure to Jesse. Walter consistently was an abusive and disrespectful figure.

I had not thought about Walter making use of his skills in a legal way.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 7:30 am

justkillingtime wrote:
I especially liked the respect Jesse showed to a beetle he found on the street or sidewalk. I realize he did some bad things but I wonder if he symbolizes the inevitable corruption of even the best of people. I always thought of Walter as a father figure to Jesse. Walter consistently was an abusive and disrespectful figure.

I had not thought about Walter making use of his skills in a legal way.

Despite the way Walter treated Jesse he certainly cared about him. In Season 5 Episode 16 (finale) Walter took a bullet for Jesse and he later died just as the police came in, unless Vince Gilligan is making a new season and Walter is still alive which is probably not happening.

Even though Walter treated Jesse terribly I can understand why sort of, Walter was under a lot of stress because he was in the midst of creating a criminal enterprise. Jesse did do some stupid things though, he wasn't the sharpest crayon in the box so to speak.

Also Walter manipulated Jesse often to get his way, the worst of which was poisoning Brock.

So to summarize their relationship is complicated. Walter sort of admitted in Season 2 Episode 13 that Jesse was "family" because that's clearly what he was talking about.

-Paul Erdos

-Bruce Schneider

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 9:38 pm

Regarding Walter's stress, he also had the stress of cancer (off-and-on). I thought of Jesse as a slacker but I've always kind of liked slackers (on TV) because they are usually good-natured.

I could not help but contrast how Walter treated Jesse compared to how Walter treated his son. Mr. White reminded me of a bad stepfather. Then, Jesse's biologic family did not seem to care for him.

A Jesse spin off might be interesting. Maybe, he could be a humanitarian aid worker to make up for the evils of cooking meth.

pokeycat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2015, 6:32 pm

Great show

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 11:41 am

I wish I'd watched more of it. I might get the DVD set so I can watch it whenever.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 12:42 pm

justkillingtime wrote:
A Jesse spin off might be interesting. Maybe, he could be a humanitarian aid worker to make up for the evils of cooking meth.

"Breaking Good"? No offense, but I don't know if there's a whole lot of appeal to that concept. I think one of many themes and appeals of 'Breaking Bad' and 'Better Call Saul' is the evil side of human nature and how we're sometimes powerless against giving into our darker desires. A feel-good spin-off of Jesse doing community service doesn't exactly have the same dramatic allure. :)

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 6:57 am

Skibz888 wrote:
justkillingtime wrote:

According to the producer Jesse has a good future ahead of him. I don't know what that future could be, I think he'll get a new identity however with Saul gone he won't have any people to go to.

-Paul Erdos

-Bruce Schneider

catherinewalker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Aug 2015, 3:35 am

I don't see the two as being mutually exclusive.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 9:09 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
justkillingtime wrote:

"Breaking Good"? No offense, but I don't know if there's a whole lot of appeal to that concept. I think one of many themes and appeals of 'Breaking Bad' and 'Better Call Saul' is the evil side of human nature and how we're sometimes powerless against giving into our darker desires. A feel-good spin-off of Jesse doing community service doesn't exactly have the same dramatic allure. :)

I was thinking of Jesse being a humanitarian worker in Afghanistan or dealing with ISIS. He might have to do dark things in dealing with that violent mess.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 8:23 am

justkillingtime wrote:
Skibz888 wrote:
justkillingtime wrote:

I was thinking of Jesse being a humanitarian worker in Afghanistan or dealing with ISIS. He might have to do dark things in dealing with that violent mess.

Breaking Bad took place when Walter was 50 (presumably 2008) and ended when he was 52 (presumably 2010) so at the end of BB it was 2010 at the latest. ISIS wasn't that big of a problem back then.

I think Jesse is going to get a new identity, maybe go to college. He has a good future ahead of him according to Vince Gilligan.

-Paul Erdos

-Bruce Schneider

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 11:24 am

Jesse certainly deserves a good future. :D

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 12:51 pm

justkillingtime wrote:
Jesse certainly deserves a good future. :D

Of course. He is the #1 TV slacker not to mention totally hilarious.

-Paul Erdos

-Bruce Schneider