Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Jul 2015, 12:13 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:
I agree that bees should never be harmed -- there is a crisis decline going on and we should be trying to save this species; they are beneficial in profound ways that are part of the chain, and there are going to be real problems if bees actually get wiped out.

I also agree that things that will actively harm me such as mosquitos, are fair game if in the house with me.

Everything else I rescue and put outside, including spiders. They're just trying to live their life cycle and if I don't have to interfere I'd rather assist.

I have heard it has to do with some pesticides being used commonly, I never have got peoples obsession with using harsh chemical pesticides on plants....I would not be surprised in the least if that has something to do with it, even if its not the entire cause of the bee decline.
I signed a few online petitions to get certain pesticides banned for that reason.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 2:00 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Misery wrote:
I end up just grabbing them and taking them outside; I dont kill anything, after all, it's hardly their fault that they ended up where they did. Not like they could know that they arent supposed to.

I do this with pretty much all insects too; usually boxelders and ladybugs, which are extremely common over at my mom's house.

The only exception is centipedes; I just ignore them and let them do whatever. There's no point in trying to catch one, the crazy things move like lightning bolts. Which I guess makes sense... it'd be bloody stupid if something with that many legs was slow instead of fast.

millipedes have even more legs and are very slow :D

yes millipedes are the slow kind of prehistoric looking ones with the legs underneath the outer shell, centepedes are the super creepy ones with the legs sticking out the sides and long antenna that just make them even creepier..and their fast movement doesn't help the creepy factor either.

I have ran across the long red ones a couple times....and would prefer not to run into one of these:

I have seen videos of them on youtube, and they're freaking huge I'd hate to wake up to something like that rearing up at me lol. Though I think they prefer damp areas and not sure they are in colorado even.

That one in the pic there is actually the one I'm thinking of :D

They arent exactly rare, either. I see them frequently when I'm in the garage at that house (and since that's the main way in for me usually, well... yeah) though they get into the basement too somehow. I figure they probably just run at the walls so fast that the universe doesnt realize it fast enough and doesnt stop them from going through solid objects until they're already through. Makes perfect sense.

The really fun part? Before I go into the house, I have to hit the big switch to close the garage door. Guess what the centipedes LOVE to sit on for.... no apparent reason? Yeah. I bet lots of people would enjoy that part /sarcasm

And then they go bonkers and dash off in a random direction when I hit the switch. Even more fun.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 3:40 am

Misery wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Misery wrote:
I end up just grabbing them and taking them outside; I dont kill anything, after all, it's hardly their fault that they ended up where they did. Not like they could know that they arent supposed to.

I do this with pretty much all insects too; usually boxelders and ladybugs, which are extremely common over at my mom's house.

The only exception is centipedes; I just ignore them and let them do whatever. There's no point in trying to catch one, the crazy things move like lightning bolts. Which I guess makes sense... it'd be bloody stupid if something with that many legs was slow instead of fast.

millipedes have even more legs and are very slow :D

yes millipedes are the slow kind of prehistoric looking ones with the legs underneath the outer shell, centepedes are the super creepy ones with the legs sticking out the sides and long antenna that just make them even creepier..and their fast movement doesn't help the creepy factor either.

I have ran across the long red ones a couple times....and would prefer not to run into one of these:

I have seen videos of them on youtube, and they're freaking huge I'd hate to wake up to something like that rearing up at me lol. Though I think they prefer damp areas and not sure they are in colorado even.

That one in the pic there is actually the one I'm thinking of :D

They arent exactly rare, either. I see them frequently when I'm in the garage at that house (and since that's the main way in for me usually, well... yeah) though they get into the basement too somehow. I figure they probably just run at the walls so fast that the universe doesnt realize it fast enough and doesnt stop them from going through solid objects until they're already through. Makes perfect sense.

The really fun part? Before I go into the house, I have to hit the big switch to close the garage door. Guess what the centipedes LOVE to sit on for.... no apparent reason? Yeah. I bet lots of people would enjoy that part /sarcasm

And then they go bonkers and dash off in a random direction when I hit the switch. Even more fun.

I saw a meme of one of these creatures once...it said 'oh taking a shower? I'll come to' or something like that with a creepy picture of one in a shower. The one that really creeped me out though is a video I saw of one climbing around in some laundry onto someones bed was like bigger than a decent sized rat and the idea of that in my bed with me = 8O unpleasant. Anyways do they run fast? I'd hate it so much if they commonly sat on a switch I had to hit.

Though here we have lots and lots of daddy long legs, some get pretty big...they creep me out cause their long legs, I know they aren't toxic or anything but nonetheless i hate them crawling on me and it freaks me out. But yeah sometimes hard to find somewhere to sit if I want to chill outside because they're all over...then if you sit down they want to invade the exact spot you are in. I feel kind of pathetic when I have gotten bullied out of the place I was sitting by a persistent daddy long leg that apparently has picked up on the fact if it keeps walking at me I'll move.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 8:31 pm

The common house centipede is good.

Its a predator that eats up the silver fish, bed bugs, roaches, and even spiders, in your house.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 8:57 pm

I like Spiders,I usually just let them be.Not everyone has the bad reactions to their venom,it's like wasps or bees.Some people are more allergic than others.We have Black Widows and Brown Reculse here, no one has ever died from getting bit.Some have reactions,some don't.They are a gardeners best friend,eating tons of insects.It used to be considered bad luck to kill them,there is a passage in Hucleberry Finn where he kills a spider and worries about the bad luck it will bring.Before screen wire they were respected.I love the dew in the webs in the early morning,just beautiful.

They are the best defense against bed bugs.The bug spray kills all the spiders then the resistant bugs like roaches and bedbugs breed like crazy,I'd rather have spiders.We should really be more worried about what's in bug spray than spiders.People are so out of touch,freak out if they see a bug instead of realizing that's part of nature.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 3:49 am

It's very kind of you not to kill them. But I kill insects. I would never kill an animal and have helped many feral cats in need and tried to save birds my cats attacked, although unsuccessfully... But I cant stand insects. I smash mosquitoes and spray cockroaches to death.

Dont have spiders around here, and the poisonous ones are out in the country. Never ran into them in town. Would've killed them if they were in my house. A shoe would do.

Way I see it: animals have rights, insects dont.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 5:01 pm

I am terrified of spiders and many insects but I believe they have some form of feelings and are capable of suffering. I take them outside unless I am unable to and will kill the scary ones.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 5:38 pm

I wanna watch them making a mess usually on the ceilings. Or poke them with a stick but not to kill them, but to make them run or climb the stick.

Though I don't want them to touch me. If they're poisonous I'll just leave them or drive them away or anything that keeps them from a distance.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 5:48 pm

When I see one, I scream like a girl and run for the vacuum. 8O

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 10:58 pm

My house spider seems to have found its comfortable spot in the room. It spends all its time there near the window. I like it that way because I don't want to end up accidentally stepping on it.