Plenty of Young People Out There Condemn Drugs

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 10:55 am

But they don't seem to ever get a platform in the media.
Take a look at this particular story:

http://www.koco.com/news/teen-arrested- ... l/29504608

I remember when this happened. A student was interviewed at this high school and she said the entire school didn't want people selling drugs on their campus but you never hear or see these people in the media except for isolated incidents on local news.

Why is the voice of dissent silenced on this matter?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

18 Jul 2015, 11:26 am

I'm not sure what you are implying, do you support the War on Drugs?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 11:39 am

Jacoby wrote:
I'm not sure what you are implying, do you support the War on Drugs?

I support airing dissenting opinions.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 2:20 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I remember when this happened. A student was interviewed at this high school and she said the entire school didn't want people selling drugs on their campus but you never hear or see these people in the media except for isolated incidents on local news.

Wow he knew the sentiments of the entire student body and spoke for them?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 2:27 pm

...XXX on yr. wrists here ? :lol:

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 2:38 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Because bad news sells advertisements, both in print and broadcast. Remember, the mantra in journalism is "If it bleeds, it leads."

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 3:17 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Not a he, a she, and apparently she knew enough because the students of that school could easily tell the principal, it's no big deal, it's just weed and yet they didn't.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 4:16 pm

You can condemn drugs, whist being against the war on drugs.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 4:19 pm

What exactly is surprising about this?

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 4:48 pm

Unfortunately, condemning what other people freely choose to do involves condemning their freedom.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 5:25 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Unfortunately, condemning what other people freely choose to do involves condemning their freedom.

What?

That is not how freedom of expression works, the opposite. People are free to condemn anything they like.

One person's freedom cannot superpose another's. There is no freedom against offense.

Also people are not exactly free to use illegal drugs, by virtue of them being illegal. They may deserve to be legalised but that is another matter.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 6:59 pm

I said just freedom, not freedom of expression. Of course you're free to condemn their freedom, but you're still condemning their freedom.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 7:49 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

They do have a platform, the biggest one that has ever existed: social media. Back in my day this was called Straight Edge and it had the bitty little platform of 'zines (circulation, 50) and punk rock (which had more influence than audience). Today there is Twitter,Tumbler,Youtube and probably more that I don't know about because I'm too old. Audience: milions. If there really are a bunch of antidrug kids then a platform is only a hashtag away.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 8:02 pm

Janissy wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

They do have a platform, the biggest one that has ever existed: social media. Back in my day this was called Straight Edge and it had the bitty little platform of 'zines (circulation, 50) and punk rock (which had more influence than audience). Today there is Twitter,Tumbler,Youtube and probably more that I don't know about because I'm too old. Audience: milions. If there really are a bunch of antidrug kids then a platform is only a hashtag away.

It's not the same as having your voice in the media. Media holds a certain power in our civilization.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 8:09 pm

Smoking, drinking, prescription drug abuse by teens is down, survey says

If a teen today was suddenly transported to 1973 to my high school in the first first thing they that would be disconcerting would be the lack of social media, technology. After that would be the near universal drug use. People walking around stoned with slurred speech red glassy eyes. The smell of marijuana emanating from the school bathrooms, parks and parking lots etc.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 11:21 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Not a he, a she, and apparently she knew enough because the students of that school could easily tell the principal, it's no big deal, it's just weed and yet they didn't.

Maybe that dealer was just a douchebag