Plenty of Young People Out There Condemn Drugs

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 11:47 am

I find the best protection is allowing peers to speak candidly to one another without pressuring them or influence. When I was a teenager I didn't particularly trust adults but I was more inclined to trust peers and when one of them that was into drugs said a particular one sucked big time, I was inclined to take what he said very seriously and I believed him. I even argued a little but he said to me, "why would you want to take something that leaves you in a corner by yourself paralyzed wondering why you are so messed up?" I can remember being stunned when he said that because no one explained things realistically and I thought, is that what it really does? Then I thought, it doesn't sound like much fun. Heroin had a reputation as being one that most drug takers didn't like back then.

Peers should speak up to one another.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 12:22 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I find the best protection is allowing peers to speak candidly to one another without pressuring them or influence. When I was a teenager I didn't particularly trust adults but I was more inclined to trust peers and when one of them that was into drugs said a particular one sucked big time, I was inclined to take what he said very seriously and I believed him. I even argued a little but he said to me, "why would you want to take something that leaves you in a corner by yourself paralyzed wondering why you are so messed up?" I can remember being stunned when he said that because no one explained things realistically and I thought, is that what it really does? Then I thought, it doesn't sound like much fun. Heroin had a reputation as being one that most drug takers didn't like back then.

Heroin was taboo in my high school among pot smoking kids. It was the line not to cross. I had a similar conversation with a friend back then but his anti-heroin warning was because it felt so wonderful, not because it felt so terrible. He tried heroin once and I pressed him for details of how it felt.

He said it felt so incredibly good that real life felt bad in comparison when he came down and that bad feeling lingered for a couple days. He said it terrified him how good it felt to be on it and how bad it felt when it wore off because he could see how tempting it would be to take it non-stop and get trapped in that. That each time you took it, normal life would be a little bit worse when you were off it until not being high would be unbearable. That was a strong warning from a dabbling druggie who usually was up for experimentation (the kind of experimentation that led him to do it in the first place). He was genuinely scared, especially since he said the memory of how good it felt nagged at him when he was feeling down. He vowed to never give in to "just one more time" and self-talked himself into seeing it as suicide.

As far as I can tell he kept his vow. He never did it as long as I knew him. Then we lost touch by both moving elsewhere and only reconnected decades later on facebook. He kept that vow, and ultimately gave up pot as well, as adults often do. He never talked about it on facebook (because no privacy) but his stories and photos on facebook made it clear that at no point did heroin addiction happen. He was all about the hiking,biking and 10k fun runs.

Anyway, yes, teens always give far more weight to what their peers say than what adults say. Not trusting adults and instead trusting peers is the norm for teens so what they say to each other matters.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 12:49 pm

Janissy wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Heroin was taboo in my high school among pot smoking kids. It was the line not to cross. I had a similar conversation with a friend back then but his anti-heroin warning was because it felt so wonderful, not because it felt so terrible. He tried heroin once and I pressed him for details of how it felt.

He said it felt so incredibly good that real life felt bad in comparison when he came down and that bad feeling lingered for a couple days. He said it terrified him how good it felt to be on it and how bad it felt when it wore off because he could see how tempting it would be to take it non-stop and get trapped in that. That each time you took it, normal life would be a little bit worse when you were off it until not being high would be unbearable. That was a strong warning from a dabbling druggie who usually was up for experimentation (the kind of experimentation that led him to do it in the first place). He was genuinely scared, especially since he said the memory of how good it felt nagged at him when he was feeling down. He vowed to never give in to "just one more time" and self-talked himself into seeing it as suicide.

As far as I can tell he kept his vow. He never did it as long as I knew him. Then we lost touch by both moving elsewhere and only reconnected decades later on facebook. He kept that vow, and ultimately gave up pot as well, as adults often do. He never talked about it on facebook (because no privacy) but his stories and photos on facebook made it clear that at no point did heroin addiction happen. He was all about the hiking,biking and 10k fun runs.

Anyway, yes, teens always give far more weight to what their peers say than what adults say. Not trusting adults and instead trusting peers is the norm for teens so what they say to each other matters.

When I was a teenager, no one ever described heroin as feeling good. Not one person. Anywhere. I have a hard time believing it. How can a drug suddenly go from one that the takers of drugs like cannabis, cocaine, ecstasy or speed, go from everyone saying, heroin is a sucky time to heroin feels so good it's dangerous to do it. There's a lie somewhere. Why not be honest about it?

If it were so great, trust me, these druggies from my adolescence would have been taking it in droves. They never discouraged anyone from smoking.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 1:13 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
When I was a teenager, no one ever described heroin as feeling good. Not one person.

How many of them that you talked to had actually taken it?

Quote:
Anywhere. I have a hard time believing it. How can a drug suddenly go from one that the takers of drugs like cannabis, cocaine, ecstasy or speed, go from everyone saying, heroin is a sucky time to heroin feels so good it's dangerous to do it. There's a lie somewhere. Why not be honest about it?

If it were so great, trust me, these druggies from my adolescence would have been taking it in droves. They never discouraged anyone from smoking.

Not necessarily any lies in there. It isn't bizarre for different people to have wildly different experiences, considering that there is no FDA standardization of it. Also, the guy who described it to me did say 'heroin is a sucky time' (more or less) as well as feeling so good he felt it was dangerous to take it ever again. It was the coming down that felt bad, not the going up. When your friend said, "why would you want to take something that leaves you in a corner by yourself paralyzed wondering why you are so messed up" are you sure he was talking about the totality of the experince, or rather what it felt like as it started to wear off?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 1:28 pm

Janissy wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
How many of them that you talked to had actually taken it?

Considering this was a club scene with plenty of ecstasy and weed making the rounds, plus poppers sold at the club, it's likely some of them did try heroin even though I didn't see them actually take it. They weren't shy about taking drugs and they weren't going to take something again, in front of me, they already claimed they didn't like the first time.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 2:06 pm

blauSamstag wrote:

I can't say i was ever pressured to partake of any drug experience in my youth.

I was constantly pressured from Jr. High(middle school) up until about around age 30. Probably this as much as my undiagnosed Autism was the reason for my social isolation. I did not partake because 1. Even then I knew my repetitive/addictive "traits" and drugs would be a bad combination. 2. Sensory, It just looked and smelled bad to me. If you did not partake people were weary that you were a narc.

Most people used marijuana and alcohol. Only occasionally other drugs were used because the other drugs were too expensive for the average lower to middle class student.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

20 Jul 2015, 2:30 pm

A lot of my peer group I went to school with ultimate ended up using heroin. I was taboo for a while, I remember me and this friend having multiple conversations about how a needle was where that line was crossed. I didn't know anybody that used heroin in high school as far as I know but typically how it happened was kids snorted oxy and suboxone(which is suppose to be the miracle alternative to methadone for quiting) before moving on to heroin which was cheaper and more abundant when they could get those anymore. I had lost all contact with this one friend of mine, could no longer find or get a hold of him for months and it wasn't until some time later that I found out that he had become addicted to heroin. Last time I saw him I actually had lended him some money which he said was for his girlfriend or something like that, he actually wanted to sell me something of his father but I refused and just gave him the money and said pay me back later. Last time I ever heard from him. In retrospect I realize he probably wasn't using that money for anything else besides heroin, I was so naive at the time and was just trying to be a good friend. My brother also became addicted to opiates after he had heart surgery, it's an awful ugly addiction and the withdrawals drive people insane almost. My brother luckily was here in Arizona with us and not in back in our hometown since he even admits that he probably would of tried heroin and he know he would of liked it. I'm honestly afraid of using opiates given how I've seen it effect people in my life.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 2:39 pm

Jacoby wrote:
A lot of my peer group I went to school with ultimate ended up using heroin. I was taboo for a while, I remember me and this friend having multiple conversations about how a needle was where that line was crossed. I didn't know anybody that used heroin in high school as far as I know but typically how it happened was kids snorted oxy and suboxone(which is suppose to be the miracle alternative to methadone for quiting) before moving on to heroin which was cheaper and more abundant when they could get those anymore. I had lost all contact with this one friend of mine, could no longer find or get a hold of him for months and it wasn't until some time later that I found out that he had become addicted to heroin. Last time I saw him I actually had lended him some money which he said was for his girlfriend or something like that, he actually wanted to sell me something of his father but I refused and just gave him the money and said pay me back later. Last time I ever heard from him. In retrospect I realize he probably wasn't using that money for anything else besides heroin, I was so naive at the time and was just trying to be a good friend. My brother also became addicted to opiates after he had heart surgery, it's an awful ugly addiction and the withdrawals drive people insane almost. My brother luckily was here in Arizona with us and not in back in our hometown since he even admits that he probably would of tried heroin and he know he would of liked it. I'm honestly afraid of using opiates given how I've seen it effect people in my life.

A doctor prescribed opiates for me once and they were alright but opiates the doctor prescribes and heroin are two different things entirely.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 7:01 pm

Most current heroin users didn't watch trainspotting and decide it must be awesome.

These days the usual track is as follows:

Normal person suffers a real injury with long, painful recovery.

Doctor who treats them barely talks to them, prescribes opiates. There is little or no talk of followup or physical therapy (if appropirate).

When they run out of pills and it still hurts, some doctor doesn't listen at all and writes another script.

When that runs out, the doctor may fear for their license and cuts them off.

There may be some doctor shopping at this point. Maybe a pain management clinic. It's not enough.

When all legal sources are exhausted, and they are still in pain, they find out that a friend of a friend knows a guy.

They find out that spot pricing for premium grade opiates is pretty brutal compared to retail - but they need it.

The money runs out.

They find out that a hit of H is way cheaper than a hit of street-price vicodin, and that heroin is a really effective pain killer.

But it is also way more addicting than vicodin.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 7:33 pm

So that's why it's called "high" school :scratch:

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 5:57 am

blauSamstag wrote:
Most current heroin users didn't watch trainspotting and decide it must be awesome.

Doctor who treats them barely talks to them, prescribes opiates. There is little or no talk of followup or physical therapy (if appropirate).

When they run out of pills and it still hurts, some doctor doesn't listen at all and writes another script.

There may be some doctor shopping at this point. Maybe a pain management clinic. It's not enough.

When all legal sources are exhausted, and they are still in pain, they find out that a friend of a friend knows a guy.

They find out that spot pricing for premium grade opiates is pretty brutal compared to retail - but they need it.

The money runs out.

They find out that a hit of H is way cheaper than a hit of street-price vicodin, and that heroin is a really effective pain killer.

For one thing, heroin isn't an effective pain killer. That's a lie. It's a pain bringer. Just one group of users can be described like you typed, the others are recreational users.

I am just spreading the word. Yes, there was a time when none of the drug users liked heroin and it was the black sheep of the drug world. It was the one drug everyone hated, so don't believe the hype about it.

Also think about who funds productions like Trainspotting and their reasons behind funding such projects. Usually involves a market of some kind and making money. It's like putting the box of Lil Debbie Honey Buns on the car's dash during a scene. They put it there hoping you will go to the store and buy it. Now who pays to put that box in the movie? Lil Debbie, perhaps, because they want to sell more boxes of junk food?

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 6:20 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

The money runs out.

For one thing, heroin isn't an effective pain killer. That's a lie. It's a pain bringer. Just one group of users can be described like you typed, the others are recreational users.

No, it's a pain killer. And it's 2 to 4 times more potent and is faster acting than morphine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroin

Lying to people is a poor way of advocating against illicit drug use.

In the United States, the group of users i described is the fastest growing group. After a while, any residual pain from the injury is psychosomatic, but they are dependent on the drug because their natural endorphins, etc, are no longer produced. They literally need an opiate to "get back to normal".

Heroin use is way, way up. Heroin deaths, too. Particularly among adult women.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 6:26 am

blauSamstag wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

The money runs out.

No, it's a pain killer. And it's 2 to 4 times more potent and is faster acting than morphine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroin

Lying to people is a poor way of advocating against illicit drug use.

In the United States, the group of users i described is the fastest growing group. After a while, any residual pain from the injury is psychosomatic, but they are dependent on the drug because their natural endorphins, etc, are no longer produced. They literally need an opiate to "get back to normal".

Heroin use is way, way up. Heroin deaths, too. Particularly among adult women.

I am not lying to anybody. It's a pain bringer. Anyone who tells you it's a pain killer is lying to you. You aren't going to believe me because you have read or heard the opposite but it simply isn't true. Heroin is bad news and hurts you.
This is what they have to do to get people to buy a drug that was infamous for being one that no one likes. They must lie about it and advertise so they can grow their market. Don't believe it.

See, you and millions of others have been lied to but keep in mind, I was told the truth by a friend who tried any drug he could get his hands on before heroin made it's way into the mainstream so it's the real deal. This was back before most of America had even heard of it. Since someone was kind enough to fill me in, I am going to pay it forward and fill all of you in.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 6:54 am

Thing about heroin is, it's very addictive, so if they can market someone through a couple of doses they don't really like that much, to the point they start craving the drug and then become physically addicted, they have a customer for life because it is one of the toughest addictions to overcome and has a high relapse rate, plus the tolerance goes up relatively quicker, more product gets sold. So, it would be in their best interest for as many people to get addicted as possible because it just brings them more money. So when I was a teenager, the part about being paralyzed was something not very many people liked, so, it put off customers. The chances of becoming addicted were lessened. This is the real reason they push it. It's money. It's got nothing at all to do with how great the drug is or how it makes people feel because that is not going to sell this drug to anyone. It's not a good time. In fact, it's the opposite, which is why it earned that reputation before.

Nowadays, everyone sugarcoats the paralysis part instead of talking about it realistically. No one wants to talk about the distress of that but it used to be the main topic of conversation when discussing heroin, about how horrid that was and it is why the drug was unpopular.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 8:36 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I am not lying to anybody. It's a pain bringer. Anyone who tells you it's a pain killer is lying to you. You aren't going to believe me because you have read or heard the opposite but it simply isn't true. Heroin is bad news and hurts you.
This is what they have to do to get people to buy a drug that was infamous for being one that no one likes. They must lie about it and advertise so they can grow their market. Don't believe it.

See, you and millions of others have been lied to but keep in mind, I was told the truth by a friend who tried any drug he could get his hands on before heroin made it's way into the mainstream so it's the real deal. This was back before most of America had even heard of it. Since someone was kind enough to fill me in, I am going to pay it forward and fill all of you in.

No, it's an opioid analgesic. It's been used as a pain killer for more than a hundred years so I don't know how your friend got it before people had heard of it. The name "Heroin" was trademarked by Bayer (the aspirin people) in 1898.

It is still manufactured by legitimate drug companies and administered by real doctors for legitimate purposes.

You are speaking of some kind of "higher truth" woo, which is unhelpful and deceptive.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 8:56 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I am not lying to anybody. It's a pain bringer. Anyone who tells you it's a pain killer is lying to you

It's both, just at different times. The high itself kills pain very effectively. Withdrawal is painful. It kills pain at point A and brings it at a later point B via withdrawal.