Did anyone ever describe you as charismatic?

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 4:53 pm

Absoluely not. Never ever.

Basement
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2007, 7:09 pm

No, not even close.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 7:37 pm

In a public speaking class, I did exceptionally well at persuasive political speaking; I can also be a persuasive writer. In general, though, no, I am anything but charismatic. I consider persuasion to be something almost surgical: Different phrases and language constructions are used for their emotional impact on the audience. Effective persuasion can cut out the audience's previously held ideas and insert the idea the speaker wants them to hold. Besides the language itself and the subject matter at hand, the speaker must relate to his or her audience in a certain way: Why should they listen to you? It is generally best to let the audience think of you as an equal (not some distant intellectual) who is bringing a cause they can relate to to the fore and even better to frame the argument in such a way that the audience comes to the conclusion you have in mind.

RaoulDuke
Raven
Raven

01 Apr 2007, 8:18 pm

SteveK wrote:
cellogirl42 wrote:
SpaceCase wrote:
What does that even mean? *is talking about the long c-word*

-SpaceCase

cha·ris·ma–noun
1. Theology. a divinely conferred gift or power.
2. a spiritual power or personal quality that gives an individual influence or authority over large numbers of people.
3. the special virtue of an office, function, position, etc., that confers or is thought to confer on the person holding it an unusual ability for leadership, worthiness of veneration, or the like.

(From www.dictionary.com :wink: )

You gave the DICTIONARY definition! The COMMON definition has more with being socially adept, charming, and compelling. That is often OUTSIDE of any office, or church. You can be a charismatic speaker, or a charismatic salesperson, for example. Sometimes, the dictionaries JUST miss the mark! BTW I DOUBT fresco meant the definition you gave!

Steve

Even in that case, the definition still stands, as all of those abilities tie into the second definition; a quality that gives one the ability to exude authority over others.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 9:14 pm

RaoulDuke wrote:
a quality that gives one the ability to exude authority over others.

This raises an interesting question: Why is it that people find certain people charismatic? Why does someone with a personality and communication style marked by certain features cause people to follow? I can recognize certain politicians and speakers as charismatic, but whatever effect this charisma has on others doesn't occur to me. I have read that people feel some kind of emotional connection with the charismatic figure that intoxicates them; this strikes me as bizarre.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 9:27 pm

Sometimes they do if I'm acting NT, but that only lasts until they actually know me.

NoCriminalIntent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Apr 2007, 9:28 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Why is it that people find certain people charismatic? Why does someone with a personality and communication style marked by certain features cause people to follow?

Its different things to different people. The most common type is someone who can touch the hearts of those in need.

But every soul yearns for truth and compassion, even those that work against truth. And someone who has broken through the barriers and found truth, and has the courage and compassion to bring it back to the masses, is thought charismatic.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 9:28 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
RaoulDuke wrote:
a quality that gives one the ability to exude authority over others.

This raises an interesting question: Why is it that people find certain people charismatic? Why does someone with a personality and communication style marked by certain features cause people to follow? I can recognize certain politicians and speakers as charismatic, but whatever effect this charisma has on others doesn't occur to me. I have read that people feel some kind of emotional connection with the charismatic figure that intoxicates them; this strikes me as bizarre.

Because most people don't want to make their own decisions. They want someone to tell them what to do.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 11:00 pm

"I have read that people feel some kind of emotional connection with the charismatic figure that intoxicates them; this strikes me as bizarre."

it's bizarre alright, but to me that's an accurate way of describing it, people do act as if they're drunk around you. They don't see you realistically at all. like a 'star struck' thing, like 'fans' maybe. there's a lot of copying behaviour.

NoCriminalIntent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2007, 9:10 am

Postperson wrote:
"I have read that people feel some kind of emotional connection with the charismatic figure that intoxicates them; this strikes me as bizarre."

Its not bizarre. Its just not understanding the true meaning of charisma. When an awakened heart talks to hearts that are asleep, it touches them. The sleeping hearts begin to waken up, and that is indeed a euphoric experience for them.

The reason people have trouble with the concept of charisma is because there are so few with hearts awake and on fire these days. Also, some of the last were murdered, King, Ghandi, the Kennedys. That slows the process of other hearts waking up.

But if ever you hear someone talking, and you know instinctively that what is being said is eternal truth, and you feel a flame light up in your heart, and hope for the future is rekindled, then charisma is involved.