Still no appointment with psychologist

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 7:49 pm

After I made the initial call, I waited about eight weeks for my intake appointment, and the complete diagnosis, including receiving my report, took another nine.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

djs7p
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jul 2015, 3:00 am

Thanks for all your replys. Looks like I'm going to have to be patient and wait :(

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jul 2015, 5:36 am

Well, it came up around October last year in my therapy session then the focus drifted away until approximately February as other topics came up.

In February my therapist started looking into the process for referral. She found a faster way to do it than via a GP by contacting our local autism charity and once she actually planned a referral things sped up quickly.

She contacted the service, a week and a half later I had a questionnaire to fill it (it came. sooner but I waited until my next therapy appointment) Three weeks later I met someone from the autism charity. They put me on a level 4 urgency (5 is immediate homelessness where housing is accessible with diagnosis). That was in May.

My appointment is next week.

They said up to 4 months for me and I'm within that time frame.

djs7p
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jun 2016, 3:11 pm

Hey all

Still no sign of an assessment and I think it's starting to get to me, plus I fear my relationship is coming to an end :(

(I mentioned that I kept my possible aspergers a secret from my partner in another post)

Just wish life was easier at times :cry:

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 3:34 pm

It's because of the wait list of things like 18 months that I had to take the hit to my savings and go private. I had avoided going ahead with it for ten years, one would think I could wait a bit longer, but it was the ten year loss of time that made me think screw it lets get this over with.

EmmaHyde
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2016, 4:40 pm

pcuser wrote:
I got mine very quickly, maybe a week or two. Anyone in California with insurance has a right to get diagnosed and treated...

California law (I looked it up cause I'm in NorCal) requires that you have your evaluation within no more than 15 business days of your request. It also depends on who you go to however. I have Kaiser, so I had to wait... 14 calendar days to hear that I even had a doctor who would do the evaluation and I have yet to hear back from her, as she called and I didn't know the number. That was three days ago and I've left her two voice-mails in response. Over all, I know it's going to be a while before I hear back from them.

Djs7p, I would recommend you talk to your partner and let them know what is going on with you mentally. My girlfriend and I both do this with each other/ support each other. (She has OCPD, I strongly suspect I have Asperberg's) You might be surprised at their response.

-------
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
++++++

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 7:38 pm

EmmaHyde wrote:
pcuser wrote:
I got mine very quickly, maybe a week or two. Anyone in California with insurance has a right to get diagnosed and treated...

California law (I looked it up cause I'm in NorCal) requires that you have your evaluation within no more than 15 business days of your request. It also depends on who you go to however. I have Kaiser, so I had to wait... 14 calendar days to hear that I even had a doctor who would do the evaluation and I have yet to hear back from her, as she called and I didn't know the number. That was three days ago and I've left her two voice-mails in response. Over all, I know it's going to be a while before I hear back from them.

Djs7p, I would recommend you talk to your partner and let them know what is going on with you mentally. My girlfriend and I both do this with each other/ support each other. (She has OCPD, I strongly suspect I have Asperberg's) You might be surprised at their response.

I got mine in Southern California at Kaiser. If they give you any trouble, tell them nicely that they are being or have recently been sued by their own doctors because they weren't providing services mandated by the state. Also, when you get your diagnosis of autism (Asperger's isn't used anymore), they have a responsibility to provide services for adults even if they claim they offer none as they told me for four years. I found on my own a therapist who specializes in autism. I was going to try and force them under the law to pay for her services, but she was already under a contract with Kaiser and I've been seeing her for about 7 months now. It's so nice to be able to ask if whatever is troubling you is caused by autism. It also is good to know what isn't...