Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 12:29 pm

I found out that one of my long time online friends is an autism curebie and it seems to have ended our friendship. What's weird is that I knew he was into snake oil ideas for people with my disease but when he started talking about autism as well it was too much for me.

His wife had the same neuro disease that I have and she died, so I understand why he was so desperate to "cure" her. I don't know why he's interested in autism. But it was just kind of a bummer.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 12:37 pm

If he espoused "snake oil" remedies without listening to other input, then I'd drop him.

I think, perhaps, he has taken his frustrations over his dear friend's and displaced them onto his views pertaining to an autism "cure."

I think your friend, if he is of flexible mind, would benefit from your wisdom.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 12:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If he espoused "snake oil" remedies without listening to other input, then I'd drop him.

I think, perhaps, he has taken his frustrations over his dear friend's and displaced them onto his views pertaining to an autism "cure."

I think your friend, if he is of flexible mind, would benefit from your wisdom.

Thanks, KraftieKortie, but I'm not sure how flexible his mind is. But yeah I think he's transferring.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 1:00 pm

I guess a temporary "break" is in order.

People evolve, though. Don't give up totally on him.

If Freud didn't give up on Jung, and vice versa, the field of psychology might have become much richer.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 4:35 pm

Maybe if people stopped referring to Autism as a disease, there would be fewer Autism curebies.

Autism is not a "disease" - it can not be caught, transmitted, or cured. It is a syndrome - it can be managed or compensated for.