Do women really have more normal special interests?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 12:48 pm

I keep reading that women on the spectrum have more normal special interests. I think I've also read that they're less intense.

I'm more on the NT side, but this isn't true for me at all. Most of my special interests are odd and intense. I've never really gotten any normal special interests. I do have some normal interests. They're just not special interests.

pirrouline
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2015, 2:59 pm

In my case... yeah, but no. The typical examples given are usually works of fiction and celebrities, and while I have had those interests, I haven't had them in normal or less intense ways. For example, rather than the plot and workings of a video game, one particular character from this video game and every scene in which they appear, all their dialogue and details which help me extrapolate this character's personality and try to imagine what they would do in any given situation. Rather than a band's entire back catalogue, one member of the band, every quote that has been printed, and every video that has been filmed of this person (well, some musicians' entire back catalogues too, but that's more of a healthy, enjoyable interest rather than obsessive fixation.) These are the interests that distract me, harm my ability to socialize with people, and cause self-loathing because I focus on them beyond the point where I'm tired. They start suddenly and last weeks or months, but I can go long periods of time without one happening.

I have broader interest in subjects too (when I was younger, cat breeds and the western astrological signs / their associated objects and imagery, now mostly languages and geography) that I can focus on and talk about extensively, and for which I have a higher capacity than other subjects, but they're more benevolent. When I learn about them, I feel like I'm just doing it for curiosity or fun rather than compulsion, and sometimes people are even impressed by them. They're more consistent and I have maintained interest in many of them for years. It depends on which of those is considered a special interest - the intense, pointed obsession I described in the first paragraph, or the kinda nerdy but generally healthy interest above.

steelysunshine
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jul 2015, 11:13 am

I don't know what normal is. My interests are/were mythology especially Greek oddly enough I don't like Roman that much even though the memes are nearly identical, science fiction, dinosaurs(not any more I was 5), politics, abnormal psychology, I used to read about 5 hours a day still do if you count short articles on the internet, there are others that is all I can think of for now.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 6:54 pm

I've heard that too, I think its generally true. I don't have a special interest.

azealia84
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jul 2015, 5:11 pm

My special interests are short lived, like I move from one obsession to another and then forget pretty much everything about my past obsessions. They aren't as academic as a lot of the other examples I've read, like mine have been bands, music, tv shows, very intense romantic fixations or friends/people I try to subconsciously mimic, and creative activities like drawing, leathercraft, modelling, photoshop, metalwork, that take up all my time for a while then lose interest. It's often like my obsession consumes me and I have no control over it. My current obsessions are bodybuilding/fitness and the Big Bang Theory - I watch it constantly and I feel anxious if I go too long without watching it, although I'm really not good at the memorising facts and figures thing at all!

Darcygirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jul 2015, 12:57 am

Mine are short lived too and could pass for NT level on cursary inspection but aren't really for example

Went through a twighlight phase reading books and watching films a lot! This went on for a few months. Reading the books on loop - it felt great

Recently got into camping and spent hours on the Internet researching camping kit

Both could pass for normal but the duration and focus I think was not NT

Elysia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2015, 8:54 am

I'm a girl on the spectrum, my special interests are quite normal and similar to those of neurotypicals! I love music and boy bands which is a normal girl obsession :p I also love Rhythmic Gymnastics, animals and dancing. My interests are quite normal although I do have some interests that are less mainstream. I really love Airplanes (I'm fascinated by them) as well as the World Trade Center's (The old ones that were destroyed) and I love things like nature. Clouds, trees, grass. I could stare at those things for hours. Most of my interests are normal but I do have some that people would consider "odd"