wrong planet not for religious people or gun owners?

Page 1 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 5:08 pm

seems so. so tired of beign attacked for my beliefs. I do no and will never beleive in evolution i don't think it should be forced on people nothing should be forced on people if its so f*****g fantastic then people should willing come to it. if you have to force it on people then its not fantastic. this site is 90% or more liberal atheists so where do we christian gun owners apsies go? :cry: or are we just not welcomed or liked anywhere :cry:

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 5:30 pm

I probably fall within the categories of Chrispie gun buff and I don't feel unwelcome. Someone once told me to avoid workplace discussions of sex, religion, and politics; I pretty much try to follow the same suggestions when I am in other settings, such as WP. Dunno. It just seems to work for me. :shrug:

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 5:40 pm

Marky9 wrote:
I probably fall within the categories of Chrispie gun buff and I don't feel unwelcome. Someone once told me to avoid workplace discussions of sex, religion, and politics; I pretty much try to follow the same suggestions when I am in other settings, such as WP. Dunno. It just seems to work for me. :shrug:

but if one fallows that one will never talk about that and always have to hide who they are. I though this was the one place I could just be me and not have to hide who i am in fear.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 5:44 pm

for the most part, i don't see anyone attacking anyone. disagreement is not an attack.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 5:52 pm

trying to make me change my beliefs is an attack in my book. I leave people to believe how they want. i don't try to convert people to Christianity i don't want people trying to convert me away from it. why cant we have one single religious thread on here where they don't' come and and say we are wrong and bad. why can't they just say "oh a religious thread, well i'm not religious so i won't read that." instead that thread became about how evil religious people are and who stupid they are for not believing in evolution.

I'm not stupid because I don't' think like them nor am I bad or evil, I'm so tired from always being called that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 5:54 pm

My view is:

You have your beliefs. I have mine. We could still be buddies.

I believe in evolution. You don't have to. It's cool.

doofy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 6:09 pm

sly279 wrote:
Marky9 wrote:

but if one fallows that one will never talk about that and always have to hide who they are. I though this was the one place I could just be me and not have to hide who i am in fear.

You're implying that you define yourself by your religious and political opinions.

Which is not really what this site is about.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 6:24 pm

sly279 wrote:
...why cant we have one single religious thread on here where they don't' come and and say we are wrong and bad. why can't they just say "oh a religious thread, well i'm not religious so i won't read that.

Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, there are certain topics that unfortunately are almost sure-fire flame starters. I avoid even reading threads like that.

(And nope, there is no way I'm even going to list what I think are flame-starter topics, because it's likely that just listing them will kick up a fuss. :D )

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 6:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
My view is:

You have your beliefs. I have mine. We could still be buddies.

I believe in evolution. You don't have to. It's cool.

same but its when people push their beliefs on me. I know plenty of sort of anti gun people, and i know one atheist maybe more. see the good atheists don't' push their beliefs. i hardly hear them even talk about it, so thats why I say maybe more. I hardly ever talk about my religion with friends or people I know. while its important to me I don't feel a need to convert others to it so there's no reason to talk about it. unless something bad has happen in which case I either say i need prays or other to pray for others. I don't like religious people who push either. I met a guy like that at the voc rehab evaluation job. every day he was on me about religion and how i sin and how i need to be saved. it deeply upset me just like pushy atheists do.

but there isn't a lot of people like us. most people have to push their ideas and agenda on others. they want everyone else to think and feel like them its super upsetting to me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 6:35 pm

If people are pushy, just ignore them.

Or answer them.

But don't get upset about it.

You have to be strong enough not to get upset.

Or at least know that somebody disagreeing with you is not the end of the world.

It's the way of the world.

If we always agreed, we'd still be scavenging in the savannah, like the Australopithecines did.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 6:37 pm

sly279 wrote:
seems so. so tired of beign attacked for my beliefs. I do no and will never beleive in evolution i don't think it should be forced on people nothing should be forced on people if its so f*****g fantastic then people should willing come to it. if you have to force it on people then its not fantastic. this site is 90% or more liberal atheists so where do we christian gun owners apsies go? :cry: or are we just not welcomed or liked anywhere :cry:

I agree. But, I believe it goes way beyond Christianity and firearms. I was criticized publicly today by a moderator who belittled me for enjoying a topic about astrology. The OP was and continues to be quite friendly and thoughtful. I reacted similarly in return. This leaves me to believe that the moderator in question simply wanted to insult and ridicule me. This behavior has happened since the day I joined WrongPlanet.net on June 21, 2014. Clearly, it is de rigueur for this place. I was in a far better mood on June 20, 2014, than since. I will be honest: I amn't long for WP.

I am sorry that this happens to sly279 and others.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 6:38 pm

doofy wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Marky9 wrote:

You're implying that you define yourself by your religious and political opinions.

Which is not really what this site is about.

most people do. its a ASD support site. theres a reason thers sub forums. because aspies are people. people who still have religious and political opinions, and do have aspie related problems with those areas of life. I dont' think this site is really about anything but about everything to do with life and how aspies deal with it.

one can't say christian in the dating forum without being told how they stupid and wrong to be one. idk why atheist dislike us so much. probably same reason I dislike atheist but I don't go out of my way to tell them i think they wrong.

so if someone is like why has god made it so I am to be alone forever. don't' go in and be like you're dumb, god isnt' real and here is why........

i do wish we aspies could be more accepting of each others differences. gosh knows we get enough for our aspie differences.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 6:41 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If people are pushy, just ignore them.

Or answer them.

But don't get upset about it.

You have to be strong enough not to get upset.

Or at least know that somebody disagreeing with you is not the end of the world.

It's the way of the world.

If we always agreed, we'd still be scavenging in the savannah, like the Australopithecines did.

I think A
I think B
well we disagree cheero .
that would be disagreeing. continuing to try to push that A is the only right answer is not disagreeing.

someone is like I think abortion is right. I say to them i think its murder but its their choice and we move on.

we aspies get so stuck on stuff, its hard for me to not reply I feel the need to defend myself or they'll think they won and proven me wrong. I don't want to fight but I don't want that either. i wish we could just both stop I try to in my own way but they won't.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 6:42 pm

sly279 wrote:
trying to make me change my beliefs is an attack in my book ...
I don't see where anyone is making you change your beliefs. No one is making you do anything.

If someone shows you where your beliefs are unfounded, is that an attack?

If someone expresses their own beliefs and why they believe them, is that an attack?

If someone merely states beliefs that you don't agree with, is that an attack?

If you even suspect that someone else's beliefs are different from yours, is that an attack?

Do you perceive any of the questions in this post as an attack?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 6:47 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
sly279 wrote:

I agree. But, I believe it goes way beyond Christianity and firearms. I was criticized publicly today by a moderator who belittled me for enjoying a topic about astrology. The OP was and continues to be quite friendly and thoughtful. I reacted similarly in return. This leaves me to believe that the moderator in question simply wanted to insult and ridicule me. This behavior has happened since the day I joined WrongPlanet.net on June 21, 2014. Clearly, it is de rigueur for this place. I was in a far better mood on June 20, 2014, than since. I will be honest: I amn't long for WP.

I am sorry that this happens to sly279 and others.

yeah . though i thought you were here before me. I don't think i'm long for here either. i often get depressed after being here. I think wp might be responsible for lot of my depression . I was neutral before coming on here today. now I'm so upset I won't even be able to shave today or I'll slip and cut myself again. don't shave upset it requires fine movements.

sometimes wp can and use to be helpful but now its probably 25% helpful and 75% harmful. unless you're on the other side. i honestly don't think i belong anywhere. aspies are mostly anti gun and atheist, nts don't like me because I'm an aspie. dems hate me for owning guns, republicans hate me for being aspie and on ssi. so where does that leave me besides death or living on a mountain alone somewhere(which I can't afford) is there really no where for me. is there really no group who is accepting that people won't think 100% like them and can be open to the differences.

why is it I can't talk about my belfies or hobbies. other people get to talk about theirs. :cry:

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 6:47 pm

The attitude of this site definitely seems to lean more non-theist, though it seems roughly split between politically left and right, so such a thing really goes either way. I'm Christian, but being that I'm a vociferous far-leftist liberal, I seem to get less flack for my beliefs than other, slightly more conservative religious members do.

For a message board about something as broad as ASD, there's no singular factor unifying our beliefs, so it would go without saying that topics such as religion and politics could be alternately civil or chaotic depending on which users are participating in what discussions. There's really no easy way to say "WP is pro-_____ and anti-_____".

Honestly, the main things that have always bugged me about this community is pervasively casual sexism, and the occasionally vocally homophobic or transmisogynistic posters. I left the site for a good half-year because I was tired of seeing such blatant prejudice without any administrative acknowledgement. Considering I don't see it explicitly stated anywhere on the site (I could be wrong?), I question whether or not WP is a LGBT-friendly environment.