Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Yazz
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jul 2015, 3:39 am

Just wondering what peoples experiences are.

Is there really a correlation between Aspergers, IBS, reflux and fibromyalgia? Are there other health problems related?

Owl123
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2015, 4:42 am

Yazz wrote:
Just wondering what peoples experiences are.

Is there really a correlation between Aspergers, IBS, reflux and fibromyalgia? Are there other health problems related?

Uhh, Idk. Maybe I should research enough infos. Though, I've read a lot of blogs and related details that sinusitis is also common to those with autism. It caught my attention because I was also diagnosed with chronic sinusitis last 2012. Other than that I also read an article about a research on facial features of those with autism compared to those who haven't (Wait, I'll just get back to the link and post it here). I've also read another article that in a certain country they made a test of different salivas and found out that those with autism have a certain protein in their saliva compared to those who haven't.
I'm also not quite sure if there's really a physical determinant of autism unlike those with Down Syndrome. Nevertheless, there are already those ongoing studies how to determine autism objectively.

I've encountered some aspies and I can tell that most of them really have certain something in common such as innocent eyes which seems to display a distant stare across the galaxy,wider length of eyes to chin and well defined lips. Also, to a far cousin that I have she has the same features that I mentioned and as a female she looked a bit shapey in our 2nd grade, another 3rd cousin who is a male also have aspergers has same features. I, myself, a suspected aspie has the same features that I mentioned and far from my siblings I really look diff. a "nerdy like" feature as what people often tell me. That's just my theory though, I cannot really tell autism by how they look.

tinyteddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2015, 9:24 am

digestive issues are common with those on the autism spectrum.

madmick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2015, 1:28 am

I have A pos type blood. Looking at the problems that I have I think that I am a non-secretor which is that I do not have anti-bodies in my saliva. I have IBS and I used to have sinusitis till they found a tumor and removed it. I cannot smell now and miss that a lot.
A good cure for my problems is chicken stock. It produces gelatin/collagen (heals leaky gut) plus all the minerals. It made me feel much better. I have just discovered that I lack magnesium. I am taking boron with it - makes a huge difference.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 8:42 pm

I'm not sure how related my health issues are to my being on the spectrum, considering the other people in my family on the spectrum don't have them.
I have really bad allergies, which causes me to have the majority of other problems, like chronic sinus and respiratory problems, and digestive issues (such as IBS, reflux) since I can't actually digest most food properly as I'm allergic to everything except meat and dairy. We're looking into whether I might have a Mast Cell Activation disorder like mastocytosis. I also have fibromyalgia and hypothyroidism (hereditary).

Through my research into my problems, we have discovered that my body didn't develop properly (I still have gills, among other things) and have been pondering the idea that the antibiotics and other medications my mom was on for a sinus infection before she found out she was pregnant with me might have helped caused these issues.

Yazz
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Aug 2015, 6:35 pm

I have a few allergies too actually... if I am unwell, they go into overdrive

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 10:42 pm

Yazz wrote:
I have a few allergies too actually... if I am unwell, they go into overdrive

That's what allergies are, the immune system attacking things it thinks are enemies, so it makes sense. I know when I get tired or sick, my allergies get much worse. Sucks.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 1:02 am

I don't know much about health issues with Aspies as a whole.

Personally my health has so far been "good," i.e. fewer clinical problems than average, and reasonable physical fitness, but I'm hypersensitive to small irritations, itches, aches and pains, and I have the "uncomfortable in their own bodies" thing that's supposed to be a common feature of ASD. It's annoying to say the least, but I guess I wouldn't swap it for "real" health issues.

Don't know if you want info on psych health issues too. It's much the same - mild anxiety and I often feel negative, rather than being clinically anxious or depressed.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 1:57 pm

Study Finds Adults With Autism More Prone To Chronic Disease

Adults with autism are at risk for host of health problems

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 9:03 pm

I have severe food allergies and infrequent acid reflux.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 9:39 pm

kamiyu910 wrote:
I'm not sure how related my health issues are to my being on the spectrum, considering the other people in my family on the spectrum don't have them.
I have really bad allergies, which causes me to have the majority of other problems, like chronic sinus and respiratory problems, and digestive issues (such as IBS, reflux) since I can't actually digest most food properly as I'm allergic to everything except meat and dairy. We're looking into whether I might have a Mast Cell Activation disorder like mastocytosis. I also have fibromyalgia and hypothyroidism (hereditary).

Through my research into my problems, we have discovered that my body didn't develop properly (I still have gills, among other things) and have been pondering the idea that the antibiotics and other medications my mom was on for a sinus infection before she found out she was pregnant with me might have helped caused these issues.

My aunt and my cousins have Leukemic systemic mastocytosis. My aunt was diagnosed with it in her mid 20 to late 20's. I have never even considered the possibility that I have asked my doctors to screen me for it. I have a lot of severe digestive issues that have been getting worse over the past year. I got to the point where my body could only digest white potatoes, any other vegetable would cause diarrhea and pass right through me undigested.