Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 7:56 am

I remember having a moment looking at myself in the mirror aged 36 and feeling that I'd gone through some sort of shift in how I felt about my own inevitable death. On an intellectual level we all know from a very young age that we're eventually going to die, but I think there is still a feeling of immortality that lasts well into your 30's. Once that goes, maybe that's the point you begin to enter middle age. It felt like that for me, anyhow.

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2015, 11:55 am

Listen, in the NT world the middle-aged category starts at 30 years old. However, in Autie-world people are categorized based on how young or old they actually feel and act. So, don't worry, if you still feel young, then you call yourself young. :alien:

watson503
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jul 2015, 1:54 pm

Turning 40 for me was rough simply for the fact that that number had been embedded in my head as being "old" but I still don't feel "old" or middle-aged, I'm 42 now and still can pass for being in my early 30s. Times are so different, growing-up it seemed people in their mid-30s were middle-aged but now, I'm hearing 40 is the new 30 and so on, I personally still feel like a kid and a lot of it has to do with your state of mind so no, I don't believe that 35 is middle aged.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 3:27 pm

No way! Not unless you plan on dying at 70.

30 is the new 20, 40 is the new 30 etc.

I live a 25min drive from the city with the highest average life expectancy on the entire face of the Earth, Richmond BC where YVR (the Vancouver international airport) is. It's due to the large population of very healthy wealthy Chinese people who eat real food, use Chinese Medicine, and practice martial arts/tai-chi etc.. so 35 isn't anywhere near middle aged based on the locals here! Sure, 100+ years ago 35 was an old man here when people died off of disease or mining/forestry accidents, but not anymore.

My great aunt just turned 83. Her brother just turned 90. My grandmother is 93. Another great aunt is 89 & her husband is almost 95. 35 is more like Third Aged than middle aged!

Also, I'm 32.. buuuut I'm never gonna grow up - it's a trap! :D

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 3:48 pm

No, 35 is not supposed to be classed as middle-aged, strictly speaking. My understanding of the term "middle aged" is that it's not actually supposed to be literally the middle figure of the possible lifespan (ie, 40 if you were to die at 80).

But rather, it's supposed to describe a period in your life, a stage of life after "early adulthood" but before "old age."

Most definitions put that stage of life as starting at about 45, and morphing into "old age" at 65 even though 65 is not that "old" these days. But even at 45 I didn't relate to suddenly being middle aged though. I was still listening to Radiohead and Sia, ffs! :lol:

At 35 you can still be considered in the "young adulthood" stage before middle-age.

Here's a google result on "definition of middle aged".

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 4:07 pm

Dear rva.

I am past 60. It makes me one of the oldest members in these forums. I am also very childish, I never grew up. That's why I spend most of my time in the games forums.

Yours, Krabo

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jul 2015, 10:25 pm

Marky9 wrote:
I'm no neurobiologist, but a doctor once told me that brain structure stuff starts changing around 40ish. Maybe any resulting perceived changes in cognition and behaviors has something to do with it.

But our "adult" brains aren't fully formed until the mid 20s.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 11:54 pm

When I turned 50, my parents gave me a birthday card with the following quote by Victor Hugo:

Forty is the old age of youth; fifty the youth of old age

So, by that measure, my answer is 49.99999999.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 5:35 am

^ Good one, Rocket. I have always loved Victor Hugo.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 6:07 am

I don't think its middle aged, not when you account for modern life expectancy, but within the context of your expected working life, 35 is nearing the half way mark, maybe it has something to do with that.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 1:31 pm

I used to poke fun at people who were middle-aged when I was young and more stupid. But now I'm at the age where teens think I'm ancient but seniors think I'm still young. I think I'm going to have to agree with the seniors. :)

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 2:05 pm

Age is a matter of attitude, not chronology. I refuse to grow up, so I don't feel old.

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 3:11 pm

Personally, I wouldn't consider someone middle-aged until at least around their mid-40s, so no.

MoatsArt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2017, 1:15 am

It's not possible to know whether or not you are middle aged until you are dead. Perhaps you would agree that at that point it doesn't really matter.

At present I'm 42. If I live to be 45, I'm well past being middle aged. If I live to be 130, I still have a fair way to go.

The concept of middle age was invented by a Russian Agent during the cold war to induce neurosis in balding western men (don't roll your eyes - It's the russian agent who's sexist, not me) at the peak of their careers. :wink:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 12:57 pm

I don't feel middle aged at all. I feel like a recycled teenager who likes the 60s.