Page 1 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Sep 2014
Age: 49
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,746
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada

22 Jul 2015, 5:26 pm

Link: Washington Street Journal

Quote:
A Texas district attorney said Wednesday that he has opened a criminal investigation into the arrest of Sandra Bland, the black woman who was pulled over and taken into custody after a traffic stop this month and was found dead in a jail cell three days later.

Ms. Bland was arrested for allegedly assaulting a public servant on July 10, after she was pulled over by Texas highway patrol trooper Brian Encinia for allegedly failing to signal that she was changing lanes in Waller County, about 60 miles northwest of Houston.




ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,399

22 Jul 2015, 5:52 pm

That's getting a lot of press where I live. All that over failure to use a turn signal? I see that at least twenty times a day, no one does anything. I even see cops who don't use them even though they have gotten much better. They used to hardly ever use them. Now it happens maybe once in a blue moon that one doesn't but it still does from time to time.

Even though it is irritating I reiterate, the best way to handle the cops is to be sweet, be polite, and that goes for everyone. Yeah, it can be irritating getting stopped but it's best to just be sweet.



androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Sep 2014
Age: 49
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,746
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada

22 Jul 2015, 5:54 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Even though it is irritating I reiterate, the best way to handle the cops is to be sweet, be polite, and that goes for everyone. Yeah, it can be irritating getting stopped but it's best to just be sweet.

That would be my strategy too, but she didn't deserve to die.



ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,399

22 Jul 2015, 6:16 pm

androbot01 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Even though it is irritating I reiterate, the best way to handle the cops is to be sweet, be polite, and that goes for everyone. Yeah, it can be irritating getting stopped but it's best to just be sweet.

That would be my strategy too, but she didn't deserve to die.


Yes I agree but we all must take measures to ensure our well being and one measure we can all take is to remain polite when they stop us or try to talk to us. That doesn't mean the cop isn't at fault for over reacting but it would help her avoid an escalating situation of hostility. If the cop stopped me, this is what I would have done. I would have been really passive and done whatever he said to do. That's what I always do when cops stop me. I just got a speeding ticket not too long ago because this nearby road is a bit of a speed trap. The speed limit is 40 and right after this one intersection, it goes up to 50 when the entire stretch is about the same as far as development goes. It seems like it should be 50 the entire way so it's easy to speed on that one stretch of road. One night I was going around 50 instead of 40 without even realizing and got stopped. I was really polite, smiled a lot when talking to the cop, laughed nervously, didn't stare him down or anything like that, tried my best to project passive, submissive energy all so I could avoid any problems with the cop and he gave me a ticket and let me go but he forgot to give me my copy of the ticket. I didn't say anything to him because of all the publicity lately. He stopped me again just to give me the copy and I told him, yeah I noticed that but I wasn't going to say anything. The real reason is I didn't want him to get irritated at me. I just wanted the ticket or whatever and then be let go without any hassles.



ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,399

22 Jul 2015, 6:37 pm

This link has more footage of the dash cam video and insinuations it's been edited but doesn't say by who:



blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2011
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,027

22 Jul 2015, 8:08 pm

That cop killed her for failing to respect his authority.

And he'll get away with it.



androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Sep 2014
Age: 49
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,746
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada

22 Jul 2015, 8:16 pm

BBC

And it's gone international.

NewsOne



LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,190
Location: USA

22 Jul 2015, 10:38 pm

Ok Columbos .... what happened ...

-6:03 a.m. jail officers can be seen serving breakfast. (Bland refused a tray.)
-6:51 a.m., an officer can be seen entering cell 95 for a security check.
-7:17 a.m., a different male officer can be seen peering into the rectangular window of cell 95, according to the chronology, “checking on Ms. Bland.”
-7:17 am, an officer enters her cell.
-About 30 seconds later, another officer stops at cell 95 and appears to be talking to Bland for several seconds.
-about 8 a.m., she is found by a guard who calls for help
-9:13 a.m., paramedics can be seen entering the jail and then cell 95.
-9:16 a.m., a paramedic pronounces Bland dead, and they can be seen leaving a minute later.

Here is her jailhouse video:


source
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-off ... tml#page=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5jB9Czthbk



Last edited by LoveNotHate on 22 Jul 2015, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Nov 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 642
Location: Dallas, TX

22 Jul 2015, 10:43 pm

It is unlikely that particular cop killed her. She died while she was in jail. It is just a matter of how she died. I think at this point it will be necessary to see what the independent autopsy says. Hopefully they will also test the DNA of the officers working in the jail at that time.



eric76
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,721
Location: In the heart of the dust bowl

22 Jul 2015, 10:54 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Link: Washington Street Journal

Quote:
A Texas district attorney said Wednesday that he has opened a criminal investigation into the arrest of Sandra Bland, the black woman who was pulled over and taken into custody after a traffic stop this month and was found dead in a jail cell three days later.

Ms. Bland was arrested for allegedly assaulting a public servant on July 10, after she was pulled over by Texas highway patrol trooper Brian Encinia for allegedly failing to signal that she was changing lanes in Waller County, about 60 miles northwest of Houston.




What's dangerous is to be act like a diva during a traffic stop. The faster you let the officer do his job, the faster you will be on your way whether you are black or white. Show an attitude and you have only yourself to blame.

I've said it many times -- if you have no respect for others, you have no right to expect anyone else to have any respect for you.



eric76
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,721
Location: In the heart of the dust bowl

22 Jul 2015, 10:57 pm

androbot01 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Even though it is irritating I reiterate, the best way to handle the cops is to be sweet, be polite, and that goes for everyone. Yeah, it can be irritating getting stopped but it's best to just be sweet.

That would be my strategy too, but she didn't deserve to die.


There is no evidence that anyone killed her. She did it to herself.



eric76
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,721
Location: In the heart of the dust bowl

22 Jul 2015, 11:03 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
That cop killed her for failing to respect his authority.

And he'll get away with it.


That's nuts.



blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2011
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,027

22 Jul 2015, 11:27 pm

eric76 wrote:
What's dangerous is to be act like a diva during a traffic stop. The faster you let the officer do his job, the faster you will be on your way whether you are black or white. Show an attitude and you have only yourself to blame.

I've said it many times -- if you have no respect for others, you have no right to expect anyone else to have any respect for you.


She in no way interfered with his ability to do his job.

I strenuously object to the proposition that anything i say or do within the law gives a cop license to mistreat me.

There was no legitimate reason for this arrest.

I don't have to respect a cop and neither do you, and neither did she. I do have to obey any lawful order they give me.

There is a difference.



eric76
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,721
Location: In the heart of the dust bowl

22 Jul 2015, 11:54 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
eric76 wrote:
What's dangerous is to be act like a diva during a traffic stop. The faster you let the officer do his job, the faster you will be on your way whether you are black or white. Show an attitude and you have only yourself to blame.

I've said it many times -- if you have no respect for others, you have no right to expect anyone else to have any respect for you.


She in no way interfered with his ability to do his job.

I strenuously object to the proposition that anything i say or do within the law gives a cop license to mistreat me.

There was no legitimate reason for this arrest.

I don't have to respect a cop and neither do you, and neither did she. I do have to obey any lawful order they give me.

There is a difference.


My understanding is that the order to get out of the car was quite lawful. She refused to get out and then fought back when he tried to get her out. I think that is plenty of grounds for an arrest.



hollowmoon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 205

22 Jul 2015, 11:56 pm

eric76 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Even though it is irritating I reiterate, the best way to handle the cops is to be sweet, be polite, and that goes for everyone. Yeah, it can be irritating getting stopped but it's best to just be sweet.

That would be my strategy too, but she didn't deserve to die.


There is no evidence that anyone killed her. She did it to herself.


Why do people have such a hard time believing that a racist policeman would kill a black person (because of race) ? Every time they do it somebody always comes up with an excuse for the police. News flash they have killed black people and COVERED IT UP numerous times (Look up Kathryn Johnson). If Sandra Bland was white this whole situation would not have occurred.



Last edited by hollowmoon on 23 Jul 2015, 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.