If your being trolled; unfairly attacked or other sh!7...

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 4:02 pm

You can't be upset by someone if you don't give a damn.

I think it's good to debate and controversy is ok, but outright attacking someone is worth nothing.

Anyone who is found to be attacking someone else on WP will be shot through the Internet lol

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 4:16 am

ok. :?

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 12:40 pm

How can you tell it's unfair? Don't you have that uncomfortable feeling that they're possibly right, that they may have a point, that they may have a very valid reason to despise you and express it in the most soul-crushing way, and that they can't be bothered to explain it to you because you're too stupid and not worth their time?

That's basically how I've felt every time someone attacked me since I was a little boy.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 1:00 pm

There's a difference between partaking in an online argument and people intentionally provoking others with inflammatory comments. The internet, in granting near-complete anonymity, has given people the excuse to act more maliciously towards others than they obviously would in real life without any fear of consequence. So yes, sometimes it can be just as much unfair as it is justified.

While I've never personally experienced trolling myself because I only rarely get into arguments online, I can't easily discredit the fact that some people, to quote Sinatra, will always get their kicks stompin' on a dream. This is why places like 4chan exist.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 10:07 pm

Quote:
The internet, in granting near-complete anonymity, has given people the excuse to act more maliciously towards others than they obviously would in real life without any fear of consequence.

That doesn't mean that those people can go to bed at night thinking it's okay, because it's not okay.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 10:57 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Quote:
The internet, in granting near-complete anonymity, has given people the excuse to act more maliciously towards others than they obviously would in real life without any fear of consequence.

That doesn't mean that those people can go to bed at night thinking it's okay, because it's not okay.

Obviously I'm not saying that it is. It's simply a fact, the internet has "trolls".

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 11:17 am

So, if the one attacking you wouldn't be afraid to insult you to your face, I guess it's perfectly fine. Might makes right after all.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 12:09 pm

A perfect example of the types of people I've referred to is this:

http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/2355

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 12:16 pm

It gets pretty bad when forum members troll others not knowing what they deal with day in and day out. I was trolled a few days ago.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 1:37 pm

Wikipedia wrote:
Fake Lori Drew blog

Fortuny also said, in an interview with The New York Times reporter Mattathias Schwarz, that he played a previously unknown role in the controversy after the suicide of Megan Meier. He created a blog called "Megan Had It Coming" which made crude attacks on the dead girl and her family, while posing as Lori Drew, the mother of a former friend of Meier, who had been accused of creating a MySpace account that had driven Meier to suicide. Although Drew denied authorship, many people remained uncertain about her denials. The county sheriff's department tried but failed to identify the blog's real author. Schwarz, who watched Fortuny log into the blog and make a post there, describes Fortuny's motivation as "to question the public’s hunger for remorse and to challenge the enforceability of cyberharassment laws," adding that Fortuny is "pleased with how the Megan Had It Coming blog succeeded."

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Fortuny

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 1:40 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
So, if the one attacking you wouldn't be afraid to insult you to your face, I guess it's perfectly fine. Might makes right after all.

I guarantee 95% of internet trolls would cower before in-person confrontation. That's what can be really frightening to think about, that most of them are probably just normal people with average social skills and then at night go home and flame/harass people for their own amusement. The other 5%, I'd assume, are just pure, unbridled sociopaths.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 2:20 pm

I can't remember anyone ever cowering before me, so I tend to view any harsh criticism I find online as coming from someone strong, mature and wise, who would have no trouble telling everything to my face, because it's not like I'd retaliate physically to their words.

I grew up with the strange idea that words are words, and, if you disagree, you just reply with words. It does feel nasty when others steer the conversation towards judging you, and you try desperately to defend yourself from their offhand accusations, to no avail, because they aren't bound by an obligation to be rational.

Only at a very embarrassingly late age did I realize that normal people never surrender their natural right to physically attack those who offend them, and that evading that fate by any means other than physically confronting them and disabling them, proving to be stronger, is cowardly.

I used to see no problem in expressing any kind of opinion, no matter how harsh, because others could just as easily point out the flaws in my reasoning or my false premises, and there could always be a civil discussion, just like I felt forced to answer civilly when I got called names. But no, people demand a chance to beat me up physically so force settles the matter. I never make such a demand, because I don't expect to be able to beat up anyone. In fact, I naïvely didn't put any effort on training myself for physical combat, because I didn't think it was so important.

Since I began to understand this, and read a bit about duelling, I've become much more wary of what I say online, how I phrase it, and, especially, any reference to other people. Probably not enough yet, even though I already feel quite intellectually smothered.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 2:34 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
I can't remember anyone ever cowering before me, so I tend to view any harsh criticism I find online as coming from someone strong, mature and wise, who would have no trouble telling everything to my face, because it's not like I'd retaliate physically to their words.

Ah, then we have different perceptions of trolling, because when it comes to YouTube commenters, 4chan, etc., "strong, mature and wise" aren't words I would immediately think to use. :P

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 7:11 am

I just troll them back and make them rage quit!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 12:06 am

What exactly IS "being trolled"?

If someone were to troll me what would it look like?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 5:27 am

How ironic!

I guess now I know what "trolling" is!

I just witnessed one of the worst cases of trolling that I have ever seen on WP!

A certain person is hell bent on insulting the entire population of WP!

And that person is...oddly enough....the very OP of this thread!

Starfox herself announced that "most autistics are waste of resources" in the General Autism Forum.

If that isn't trolling then there is no such thing as trolling.

Then she cries, and pleads incompetence (claimed that she doesn't know a "better way to say it") when she got push back for it.

And then, when the thread got locked, she restarted the same thread (restarting a locked thread is specifically against the rules of WP). And she restarted it with virtually the same verbiage as before- which shows that it wasn't just incompentence. She could have either not restarted it, or restarted in a sly way by rephrasing it. But she did neither. So that shows an intent to troll.

Wow!

How do you have the nerve to complain about trolling, AND be a troll at the same time?