Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 2:25 pm

Is anyone here a singer/vocalist? I've dabbled in various instruments, but singing has always been my strength (and my favorite). I was in choirs from the age or 4 or 5, up and until 12th grade, and I really miss it. I've always wanted friends I could collaborate with musically, and while I've had many musically gifted friends (and a current bf), no one's ever asked. I like watching youtube videos of people doing duet covers of my favorite artists, and I'd really like to do that too.

How do people get into that sort of thing? I tried asking my boyfriend if I could sing backup on his album he was making, but he wanted other girls to do it (he's never even heard me).

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 3:31 pm

I sing, but I'm by no means professionally trained. I've sung in punk rock and ska bands, where formal training or virtuoso pipes aren't necessarily a requirement.

I can sing, but I can't help but feel I have a voice that makes Weird Al sound like Barry White.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2015, 3:39 pm

I sing Folk/Country style music professionally and I enjoy it. Its the only music I truly love to sing. Although I do like some Classical and Christian music from church. But I love singing Country. Its the only music that truly matters.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 6:19 am

I sing, write songs, and play a few instruments well enough to accompany myself on my songs, but I've stopped "playing out" (playing live situations in public).

But before then I was out there for about fourteen years, variously playing busking situations (street musician in the subway, didn't do that for long though), being in other people's bands, having my own band, being a solo artist in coffee bars and small club venues, and people asking me to sing backing on their projects.

I really enjoy singing and songwriting the most -- I never loved playing live to an audience. I didn't get the worst stagefright but I got nervous enough not to like it. I always loosened up after the first couple of songs, but still could never "love" being up onstage being watched and listened to by people. I hated performing so much that I kept my eyes closed the entire time. Every photo ever taken of me onstage, my eyes are closed. I looked like a corpse propped up in front of a mic with a guitar slung over me. :lol:

I much preferred recording my music on my own equipment at home, alone. I gave my best performances all alone relaxed in my own studio area, hahahha. I sing better when it's only me listening, and play better too. I could never, ever relax playing "to" another human being, hence I eventually gave up.

I also hated playing out because it all takes place at night, and I'm a homebody. I like to be tucked up on my couch safe at home. I hate bars and clubs in general, but playing music means that's the only place you spend all your time every night. :(

If you want to get a singing career going, you might go along to open mic nights if there are any near you, and see if they will let you do an acapella spot singing a song you know, doesn't have to be your own unless they have a rule about that (some open mics I used to do had a rule that your own original material is all they want to hear).

If some of the other musicians get to hear you sing, you may start making friends and getting offers -- that's how someone asked me to feature on their album when they needed a female background vocal/duet situation on most of the songs.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 8:22 pm

i have a youtube channel of me singing. it's motowncountry

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 2:30 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
I sing, write songs, and play a few instruments well enough to accompany myself on my songs, but I've stopped "playing out" (playing live situations in public).

But before then I was out there for about fourteen years, variously playing busking situations (street musician in the subway, didn't do that for long though), being in other people's bands, having my own band, being a solo artist in coffee bars and small club venues, and people asking me to sing backing on their projects.

I really enjoy singing and songwriting the most -- I never loved playing live to an audience. I didn't get the worst stagefright but I got nervous enough not to like it. I always loosened up after the first couple of songs, but still could never "love" being up onstage being watched and listened to by people. I hated performing so much that I kept my eyes closed the entire time. Every photo ever taken of me onstage, my eyes are closed. I looked like a corpse propped up in front of a mic with a guitar slung over me. :lol:

I much preferred recording my music on my own equipment at home, alone. I gave my best performances all alone relaxed in my own studio area, hahahha. I sing better when it's only me listening, and play better too. I could never, ever relax playing "to" another human being, hence I eventually gave up.

I also hated playing out because it all takes place at night, and I'm a homebody. I like to be tucked up on my couch safe at home. I hate bars and clubs in general, but playing music means that's the only place you spend all your time every night. :(

If you want to get a singing career going, you might go along to open mic nights if there are any near you, and see if they will let you do an acapella spot singing a song you know, doesn't have to be your own unless they have a rule about that (some open mics I used to do had a rule that your own original material is all they want to hear).

If some of the other musicians get to hear you sing, you may start making friends and getting offers -- that's how someone asked me to feature on their album when they needed a female background vocal/duet situation on most of the songs.

Performing or making a career of it, would be of no joy to me. I just like doing it for myself, and I like the idea of being able to collaborate with other artists. But I have a lot of respect for those people who are able to (and enjoy) performing for others :) so kudos to you for doing that! You gave me an idea, when you mentioned recording yourself and how it gave you the most satisfaction, maybe that would satisfy me too. My boyfriend has all of the gear here...I'd just have to get up the nerve to ask if I can use it.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 2:33 pm

Simmian7 wrote:
i have a youtube channel of me singing. it's motowncountry

Cool, I'll check it out!

something_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jul 2015, 4:08 pm

there is this website calledhttp://songtr.ee/welcome phone app that lets people collaborate on each others music, i've not tried it but am very interested in the idea.

I play various instruments but have always found it hard to find others to play with, don't know many people with similar tastes and the few times I have tried playing with others I just freeze up, definitely can't 'jam' which is the way most people seem to work together.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 11:21 pm

I sing. Whether I'm any good at it is debatable.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

thatsrobrageous
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2015, 9:51 pm

I sing and I "scream" metal. I am also in a band as the vocalist. Heres a link to my Facebook page as well as sound cloud. Don't give up and try to reach out to local folks who make music.

https://www.facebook.com/djentlemanandascholar

http://soundcloud.com/djentlemanandascholar