Who do you support for the Democratic nomination?

Page 14 of 14 [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Who do you support for the Democratic nomination?
Hillary Clinton 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Bernie Sanders 57%  57%  [ 31 ]
Joe Biden 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Jim Webb 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Martin O'Malley 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Lincoln Chafee 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Not voting Democrat 35%  35%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 54

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 11:20 am

Crazyfool wrote:
Doesn't matter what wing I vote for, what nominee I vote for. At the end of the day you're just hiring a spokesman to give speeches and pass senseless lasws designed to keep us the working class slaves for the elite.

You want a true democracy where the peoples voices counts then quit hiring one man to make decisions that affect billions....the concept just sounds absurd to me. Our Govt. structure is so skewed it's unbelievable that people think they will start seeing change because I voted for "this guy" or "that guy"......I guess I'm just not a follower of the masses, I like to think for myself, live my life to my standards, not standards set forth in the interests of corporate America.

The president has to go through congress and all that crap to really pass most decisions they can't just pass decisions at will with no process of checks and balances and all that. Also sure voting for someone isn't going to magically fix everything. But might as well try and vote for people that might help move things in that direction. And unfortunately I've heard countless people give that for their reason as to why they don't vote...the bit about not being a follower of the masses, thinking for them self, live life to their standards.....though voting does not prevent any of those things.

What do you suggest aside from voting to move towards a true democracy?....because simply not voting but not taking any other action is just as bad as following the apathetic masses who don't care or are easily swayed.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 12:08 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Doesn't it dawn on you all that raising taxes doesn't work? Many greedy hands will be grabbing for that cash long before it trickles down to whatever you think it should be spent on.

Except, of course, that raising taxes has been shown to work many times...

-In the US we have "Medicare tax" , and as President Obama informed everyone, "Medicare is a ticking time bomb".

-In the US we have "Social Security tax" that was looted for other programs and just IOUs are left.

-In the US we have "Income tax" which didn't even exist until early 1900s, and even with all this new revenue, they blew through an additional 18 trillion+ dollars in borrowed money, presently.

-Locally, we have a "gas tax" that I found out was diverted to the schools. So, the road workers want more now.

-Locally, the cities keep asking for more , for new police stations, new court houses , to add fire/police ... this is like a game the cities play and hope they wear you down. In the city I live in, the city paid a consultant to advise them on how to get tax increases through - despite the voters rejecting it twice before.

Taxing doesn't work, because greedy people will find a way to get their hands on that money.

20 years from now, taxes will be much higher, all the social problems will be perceived as worse, and the rich will be richer.

I think you hit the nail right on the head.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 12:22 pm

I think the U.S. will suffer a devastating depression before 20 years has passed. We didn't fix any of the problems that caused the last recession, our money is backed by nothing, we're borrowing astronomical amounts from other countries, wages are stagnant while the cost of living rises, and people don't trust the government or each other anymore. We know what causes communism to fail, now we'll watch capitalism implode.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 6:38 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
I think the U.S. will suffer a devastating depression before 20 years has passed. We didn't fix any of the problems that caused the last recession, our money is backed by nothing, we're borrowing astronomical amounts from other countries, wages are stagnant while the cost of living rises, and people don't trust the government or each other anymore. We know what causes communism to fail, now we'll watch capitalism implode.

what will replace it?

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 6:56 pm

Capitalism ended a long time ago when they imposed the fifth plank of the Communist Manifesto.