Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Taylor1002
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 11:36 am

AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:
Taylor1002 wrote:

I wouldn't know how to react if someone I cared about was having a meltdown. I'd be tempted to ask questions, to try to understand why they're upset, and I might offer tissues...would either of those things help them?

In a meltdown I usually can't think clearly enough, or form words, to answer questions...though in a shutdown I may be able to answer questions. I think it would depend on the question and the way it was said. If it was done calmly and wasn't confusing or something they should know the answer to, then it might pull me out of the pre-meltdown mode. But of course this could be different for everyone.

Thanks for the advice :) It seems like I should calmly ask simple questions, and stop if it seems like they can't or don't want to answer my questions.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 3:16 pm

How frequently (on average) do you have meltdowns?
During the school year, about once a week or so. Only occasionally during the summer.

How long do your meltdowns typically last?
I really don't know. Probably about ten minutes, not counting the cool-down time afterward.

Do you feel like you've suddenly regressed in age, and become five again?
Yep. Especially since I used to have meltdowns far less.

What would you do if someone your cared about was having one?
I would ask them what was wrong and try to deal with that thing. I would try to comfort them and tell them everything's okay.