Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 7:36 pm

I'm stuck on level 2, dying over and over again and losing all of my gold. I'm getting a refund...

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 7:44 pm

.....that's how it's supposed to be, really.

It's meant to be like old NES games. They had actual challenge to them.... most games these days have, well, pretty much none. Usually, the old ones take many hours of actual practice to beat. That's how they're designed to be.

Even something like Bloodborne or the Souls games these days is... ehh... honestly, they're still kinda easy. They're only hard in comparison to the usual stuff that's been out recently.

Games only end up that way nowadays because players have this sort of expectation that they'll "win" the first time through, which, to me, if there's no real opposition then I dont know what they're winning AGAINST, but... you get things like regenerating health and infinite lives and.... bleh. Most modern console games cant hold my attention.

It's probably best to just stay away from any game that claims to be like older games, if you didnt like that one, as usually, they are designed to be hard.

Not to mention, it's an indie game; with the big publishers, they often HAVE to keep it easy. Heaven forbid the player in question not reach the end, they might not buy the next game in the series! Indies though do not have this restriction, and many indie games are difficult by default. Best to read up on them (reviews and such) to get an idea as to how difficult or not they might be before buying.

But yeah, a game like that one, it's designed to take practice to beat. It wont hand you a victory.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 7:57 pm

Eh getting a refund is better than hitting my head until I get a concussion like everytime I suck at a game...

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 8:00 pm

Level 2 isn't that hard.
I beat the game in a week or so when it originally launched on Wii U.

Remember not to destroy your check points for the gems.
Also you can upgrade Shovel Knight's armor and weapon at blacksmith the town.
You can also upgrade his magic and health.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 8:10 pm

xenocity wrote:

I know this... I had 5 hearts and the fire wand then I started losing all my money on the timed platforms book thing...

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 8:13 pm

DailyPoutine1 wrote:
xenocity wrote:

I know this... I had 5 hearts and the fire wand then I started losing all my money on the timed platforms book thing...

You need to learn the pattern to get across.
I can't remember if there is a power up in the second level.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 8:16 pm

DailyPoutine1 wrote:
Eh getting a refund is better than hitting my head until I get a concussion like everytime I suck at a game...

Yes, this is true, there's not a whole lot of point in playing if it's only making you angry.

Got enough competitive gamers already doing that endlessly (particularly on PC), and it's never a pretty sight...

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 10:04 pm

DailyPoutine1 wrote:
xenocity wrote:

Okay I just went back to the level and played it, and I was finding that it really is not that difficult if you know what you need to do. Firstly keep in mind using a down aerial attack on the books is a great way to reset them to create the paths and getting some distance. If it is the one with the pots you are having trouble with where lava or whatever is falling down, get past the first two lava and then wait for the lava to pass and then run onto the ladder, that should give you plenty of time.

The game like a lot of older games is all about timing, try not to feel frustrated when you die, the game wants you to learn the patterns. Also if you are having problems, you should be able to find some videos on Youtube of people playing levels if you are having trouble with particular parts. Also gold should not get too frustrated over the gold, you can always replay another level that you might have an easier time with if you keep losing from one level, or otherwise use the gold in the town. In general the game can be good at teaching patience, the levels have no time limit so take your time, take mental notes of what happens.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 9:36 am

Sorry that you're not enjoying Shovel Knight. I think it's an awesome game, and nowherenear as frustratingly difficult as a lot of the other eShop games I have on my 3DS >_< I'm pretty sure one of the bosses in Cave Story broke my fire button.

Bradleigh wrote:
Also gold should not get too frustrated over the gold, you can always replay another level that you might have an easier time with...

I was going to say that. I usually grind on the first level once or twice if I need some extra treasure.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 10:12 am

Ugh, I just got an email from Sony, they say that according to the ToC, they can't refund me. Oh well, I guess $15 isn't that much. Getting a concussion over this game isn't worth the trouble...

Jarring
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jul 2015, 9:36 pm

shovelknight can be really hard for people who did not grow up playing a lot of sidescrollers..

my friend who is awesome at most videogames in general had a very hard time with it just because he didn't play a lot of sidescrollers when he was young.

I'm a natural at it because I grew up playing games like Super Mario Bros 1-3 on the nes along with Contra, Castlevania, Adventure Island, and many others including all the ones that came out on the snes.

If you bought the game, you must have SOME interest in games like that right?
It IS a very good game imo and I've been playing games like it all my life.

Here, if there's a way you can play one of the greatest sidescrollers of all time, play it to completion, then come back to shovelknight and it shouldn't be that hard for ya. It's not hard at all.. though some parts can be frustrating.

Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
It spawned a completely new genre called metroidvania(though I don't like the label personally, considering it wasn't until much much later that the genre came around because of a the next generation finding it).

But yeah, it's typically at least top 5 on every greatest game ever made list...and is a must play for any gamer.

I promise you, if you just play this game to completion(get the best ending with 200%+ map completion).. you should come out a lot better at side scrollers.. and if that fails.. you could always go back and play all the mario sidescrollers too, because they are must-play greatest games of all time as well. A lot of people like to skip the second one for the nes, but I like it...it's very different...and i loved the change of pace.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 9:47 pm

Jarring wrote:

I bought it because I thought it was looked like some Zelda 3 mixed with SMW. I was wrong.

Jarring

29 Jul 2015, 9:59 pm

DailyPoutine1 wrote:
Jarring wrote:

I bought it because I thought it was looked like some Zelda 3 mixed with SMW. I was wrong.

it.. kinda is.. though the game i mentioned is much more so like that.. it's a sidescrolling rpg.. can level up.. cast spells.. you can find new equipment.. enemies drop random gold and gear...weapons that act differently.. though you stay in one gigantic castle..
if you find your way through some hidden areas finding particular items to go through otherwise impassible areas.. you can find items and events that will grants you access to the true ending and an upside down castle with extra strong enemies..

Castlevania: sotn.. <- it sounds like you want a game like this one right here

They've released similar castlevanias for the GBA and DS.. IGA(the creator of these games) is currently working on a new one as well.. gonna be awhile though cuz he had to make a kickstarter and its completely independent.

But yeah, if you don't like Castlevania: Sotn, idk what to tell ya.. cuz it's the closest thing to what you thought shovelknight was.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 12:25 am

Oh, I remembered another comment I have heard. Are you using the joystick or the d-pad to control? I have mostly played with the D-pad out of some habit on the 3DS, and I had heard on a Rooster Teeth podcast that using the d-pad of a controller instead of the stick can make a world of difference. if you have not it tends to make the controls easier.

DailyPoutine1 wrote:

Zelda 3? That is a Link to the Past. The game is actually quite similar to the forgotten Zelda 2, which pretty much only gets a bad rap for being so different to the first.
And that is actually a hard game.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 1:15 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Oh, I remembered another comment I have heard. Are you using the joystick or the d-pad to control? I have mostly played with the D-pad out of some habit on the 3DS, and I had heard on a Rooster Teeth podcast that using the d-pad of a controller instead of the stick can make a world of difference. if you have not it tends to make the controls easier.

DailyPoutine1 wrote:

Zelda 3? That is a Link to the Past. The game is actually quite similar to the forgotten Zelda 2, which pretty much only gets a bad rap for being so different to the first.]

I'll second the bit about the dpad, since I've had TONS of experience comparing the two. Analog sticks are notoriously inaccurate in many, MANY games, causing some of them to be reduced to an utterly unplayable state (almost every single shmup ever made, for instance, or most fighting games). Dpads are often NECESSARY to get anywhere in many games.... and 2D platformers are one of the sorts that follows that rule. I can play alot of hard platformers all the way through without too much trouble... but force me to use an analog stick and play the same game, and all that'll happen is I'll die over and over and over again.

Jarring

30 Jul 2015, 2:53 am

Misery wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:

DailyPoutine1 wrote:

Zelda 3? That is a Link to the Past. The game is actually quite similar to the forgotten Zelda 2, which pretty much only gets a bad rap for being so different to the first.]

I'll second the bit about the dpad, since I've had TONS of experience comparing the two. Analog sticks are notoriously inaccurate in many, MANY games, causing some of them to be reduced to an utterly unplayable state (almost every single shmup ever made, for instance, or most fighting games). Dpads are often NECESSARY to get anywhere in many games.... and 2D platformers are one of the sorts that follows that rule. I can play alot of hard platformers all the way through without too much trouble... but force me to use an analog stick and play the same game, and all that'll happen is I'll die over and over and over again.

reminds me of super meat boy.. i played it till i got the golden meat boy(completed everything and got every possible thing in the game) on the xbox.. then I play it at my friend's house who purchased it and it was practically unplayable on his keyboard. he beat shovelknight on the keyboard.. but i don't think he gave meat boy a chance.. little too much i think.