Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 2:12 am

I've just started learning Auslan (Australian sign language) formally and am LOVING it. It feels natural. I wonder if it is common for autistic people to enjoy communicating in sign language?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 2:19 am

I can see how it'd help me a lot (even if no one could receive it, it'd be a good "this person doesn't talk" sign without the negative judgement of appearing aloof), but learning English was hard enough for me.

I just end up grunting and waving my hands around if speaking gets too hard; seems to work.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 2:37 am

Dillogic wrote:
I can see how it'd help me a lot (even if no one could receive it, it'd be a good "this person doesn't talk" sign without the negative judgement of appearing aloof), but learning English was hard enough for me.

I just end up grunting and waving my hands around if speaking gets too hard; seems to work.

English is such a different language to English though, you might find it a lot easier. E.g. "Do you know where the toilet is?" in Auslan is "Toilet where?". It feels intuitive to me, it's a visual-spatial language rather than verbal.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 3:36 am

I use Auslan to communicate.

yogiB1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jul 2015, 4:37 am

I learned American Sign Language, and I love it. I would like to communicate that way more often, but unfortunately there aren't many people around where I live who know it.

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2015, 4:53 am

Years ago when my hearing problem started, my "hearing" teachers taught me "S.E.E." signing, which stands for Signing Exact English. Although a big chunk of SEE signs mimic those in ASL (only initialised where possible), the system requires users to sign_each_word_the_same_way_they_would_say_it, rather than use contextual establishment of topic first, then modifying the topic as ASL does. I understand the idea behind SEE signing was to build correct English grammar structure skills in deaf children, perhaps also as a way to appease hearing parents, who might other send their deaf kids to oralist (auditory/verbal) programmes. Nowdays when I try signing with ASL immersed deaf acquaintences, I always warn them I was taught SEE and not ASL so they can prepare to get bored with looking at a lot of unnecessary signed words.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signing_Exact_English

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 125 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 93 of 200

RAADS:
Total score-161.0 Language-18.0 Social relatedness-69.0 Sensory/motor-39.0

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 6:10 am

Raleigh wrote:

Are you deaf? Or non-verbal? Or some other reason?

gamerdad
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jul 2015, 8:58 am

My wife and I use ASL with my son (2.5, also on the spectrum). He has a mild speech delay and some articulation problems, but he's been signing since about 12 months. It's only been very recently that he seems to show a preference for spoken language over signing, and he still signs a lot of his communication with us. My wife and I will sign between ourselves too. Our vocabulary is still pretty limited, so we don't hold deep conversations or anything, but there are a lot of times in day to day life when speaking is difficult or inconvenient when signing really comes in handy (eg while brushing your teeth, on the phone, in a movie theater, etc...).

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 4:39 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

Are you deaf? Or non-verbal? Or some other reason?

I'm hearing impaired and have difficulties with speech. I was non-verbal during most of my primary school years which is why I was taught sign language (Signed English and later Auslan).

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 12:35 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
It feels intuitive to me, it's a visual-spatial language rather than verbal.

Probably would have been far easier than learning English itself back in the day. Much easier to tap your chin and move your hand towards someone to denote "thank you" (or however that goes).

My learning something new [outside of the interest] train derailed itself long ago, though.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 9:11 pm

I'm finding this Auslan course to have its pros and cons. In a way it is like going to meditation camp (from what I've heard - I've never been to one myself). During class we are not allowed to use our voices. But recently, 2 hours of our class have been replaced by a hearing teacher who talks out loud, and so do we. It feels SO noisy and irritating! What was once a safe, quiet place where I felt "equal" to everyone else, is now for 2 hours a week a typical noisy discussion room where people don't take turns and only the loudest/most forceful get heard. It feels more irritating than usual though because of the 6 hours of silence before it.

I think I'm enjoying the language too much. I want to cut off most of the noise in my life and talk to others through Auslan. That is very tricky though because I'm not deaf, and therefore not really part of that community.

WolfClaw99
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2015, 12:02 am

I'm trying to learn American Morse Code and German!

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 12:26 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
I think I'm enjoying the language too much. I want to cut off most of the noise in my life and talk to others through Auslan. That is very tricky though because I'm not deaf, and therefore not really part of that community.

You've obviously never been in a room full of signing deaf people. They may use Auslan but they still vocalise and it can get very loud.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 12:55 am

Raleigh wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

You've obviously never been in a room full of signing deaf people. They may use Auslan but they still vocalise and it can get very loud.

Not more than four deaf people at once, no. I've noticed there are bursts of noise like laughter etc, but I haven't experienced constant noise-making. And certainly not with a group of hearing people signing, again only the laughter. I'm sure I'll eventually get an opportunity to experience a room full of signing deaf people (though I'd feel like I was intruding to be there, probably).

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Sep 2015, 2:19 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

Not more than four deaf people at once, no. I've noticed there are bursts of noise like laughter etc, but I haven't experienced constant noise-making. And certainly not with a group of hearing people signing, again only the laughter. I'm sure I'll eventually get an opportunity to experience a room full of signing deaf people (though I'd feel like I was intruding to be there, probably).

Some of the best ASL signers I met in college were hearing children of deaf parents, most of which were using sign before they were taught to speak. From what I saw they were indeed included in the "deaf" community whenever they chose to associate due to their signing skills, and during my association I learned their non-hearing friends would often forget they could hear and talk normally. It's quite common for these kids to end up in education teaching sign. In other words, if you became highly fluent in sign, I would expect you could become part of such a community if you wanted to immerse yourself.

Also Raleigh, I assume you wear hearing aids like I do if you're affected by the noisy rooms?

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 125 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 93 of 200

RAADS:
Total score-161.0 Language-18.0 Social relatedness-69.0 Sensory/motor-39.0

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 3:19 pm

I don't know many words in sign language, but maybe I should learn because my dad is really hard of hearing now and hardly ever uses his hearing aid. I'm so tired of the TV being on full blast or my mother having to yell his name several times before he listens whenever I come to visit. :(

And of course, he'd have to learn it too so he'd understand what I'm signing. Don't think it's going to happen.