Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2005, 2:29 am

I always have a hard time falling asleep, and when i finally do, I'm only asleep for about 2 or 3 hours .

So, last night I tried taking "Sleepinol." 1 cap didnt have any effect so I took 2 more and eventually fell asleep...and remained asleep for ~9 hours.

What risks are involved in these weak OTC sleeping pills? :?:

jmatucd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 May 2005, 3:19 am

not from what i can tell

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2005, 5:18 am

Sleeping pills, from what I have heard, are highly addictive.

I also have a lot of trouble sleeping. I've been trying melatonin out, sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2005, 6:29 am

Addictiveness is a problem. Also if you're already depressive, it could make you more depressive, or even suicidal. Which is rare, but I would suggest if you have depression only get sleeping meds prescribed by your psychatrist.

There's a new med on the market called Lunesta.(http://www.lunesta.com) It's said to be the first long-term use sleeping pill. There is a pdf. of info on it, at the site. My psychatrist hasn't heard about it yet it's so new, so he said he'll have to take the pdf. info to a psychatrist's conference and then get back to me, on wether or not he approves of it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2005, 2:44 pm

One night, I decided to try one of my Dad's Sleeping Pills. I had a lot to drink over the couse of the day, but I didn't care. I took it at nine thirty, wnet to bed and than I woke up at 8:30 the next day. I didn't even have time to take my Dog for a walk. That was a big mistake. I'm never doing that, again.

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2005, 4:03 pm

Does every aspie have trouble sleeping? Is there a scientific explanation for it? I remember reading something about it being caused by the chemicals in aspie's bodies ,or maybe I'm just going nuts:?

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2005, 6:20 pm

Sleep is something dosen't elude me. It just takes me forever to fall asleep. typically 2 - 3 hours each night.

I don't want to take sleeping pills, it's been tempting, but thats a viscious cycle to catch yourself in, and I don't want to get caught up in it.

WillyWebbs
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 May 2005, 6:43 pm

Quote:
Sleeping pills, from what I have heard, are highly addictive.

Thats Percription sleeping pills, hes talking about OTC, like melatonin and benydryl, which are not addictive, and might be helpful if you have mild insomnia.

I remember once i took 4 MG of xanax (which is *ALOT*)for fun at school once, i walked, talked, and acted like a drunk, and when i got home i was asleep for about 14 hours, so im not messing with with perscription sleep aids again.

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 May 2005, 2:31 am

that sounds fun actually, like the kind of thing I might have done at school

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2005, 2:25 pm

MAGNESIUM
"It's long been known that magnesium can act as a sedative. Some studies have also found magnesium deficiences in patients with depression, although the evidence is inconsistent. The mineral may help other mood-stabilizing drugs work better. Researchers at the Chemical Abuse Centers in Boardman, Ohio, found that combining magnesium oxide with the drug verapamil helped control manic symptoms in patients better than a drug-placebo combination."

~from Vitamin Cure?, Discovery Magazine, May 2005

I recommend to read the entire article if you can find it on the magazine stands. VERY enlightening.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Tomcat
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 May 2005, 5:04 am

Mutate wrote:
Does every aspie have trouble sleeping? Is there a scientific explanation for it? I remember reading something about it being caused by the chemicals in aspie's bodies

Are sleeping problems typical for Aspies? I was not aware. I've been suffering from severe insomnia for years, and most sleeping pills do not work at all with me.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2005, 5:14 am

Mutate wrote:
Does every aspie have trouble sleeping? Is there a scientific explanation for it? I remember reading something about it being caused by the chemicals in aspie's bodies ,or maybe I'm just going nuts:?

For me and a lot of others, the problem is that we can't get our minds to shut up. We get fixated on a topic and can't stop thinking about it for long enough to fall asleep.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2005, 5:33 am

Tomcat wrote:
Are sleeping problems typical for Aspies? I was not aware. I've been suffering from severe insomnia for years, and most sleeping pills do not work at all with me.

I wouldn't say typical but frequent perhaps.

As ghostix wrote a lot of us have problems shutting our minds, many also don't seem to produce enough melatonin or they are too sensitive to noise or light. Some find a heavy blanket helpful (I am still trying to get a weighted one here, as they just cost too much to ship!).

Others have genuine sleep disorders or symptoms thereof (not enough to diagnose the full-blown disorder), circadian rhythm disturbances are quite common (for example when the rhythm is too long or too short, sleep an dwake patterns shift over time etc.)

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2005, 7:56 am

I usually sleep pretty much as soon as my head hits the pillow, but lately my sleep has been restless and unrewarding and I've been having great difficulty getting to sleep. :(

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2005, 12:35 pm

I think the trouble with falling asleep is more related to the numerous anxiety disorders which are so common in AS. Anxiety Disorders are notorious for difficulty with sleep. As well as depression problems, too. Depression is over-represented in AS.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2005, 3:23 pm

Sophist wrote:
MAGNESIUM
"It's long been known that magnesium can act as a sedative. Some studies have also found magnesium deficiences in patients with depression, although the evidence is inconsistent. The mineral may help other mood-stabilizing drugs work better. Researchers at the Chemical Abuse Centers in Boardman, Ohio, found that combining magnesium oxide with the drug verapamil helped control manic symptoms in patients better than a drug-placebo combination."

~from Vitamin Cure?, Discovery Magazine, May 2005

I recommend to read the entire article if you can find it on the magazine stands. VERY enlightening.

Interesting. There's a thread about aspies and magnesium deficiency here on Aspergian Island