autistic parents and autistic kids

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

What are your and your child or children's neurotypes?
Both me and my partner are autistic; our child or children are all autistic or BAP 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Both me and my partner are autistic; our child or children all NT 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Both me and my partner are autistic; we have multiple children who include both NT and autistic children 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am autistic with a BAP partner, or BAP with an autistic partner; our child or children are all autistic or BAP 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
I am autistic with a BAP partner, or BAP with an autistic partner; our child or children are all NT 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am autistic with a BAP partner, or BAP with an autistic partner; we have multiple children who include both NT and autistic children 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
I am autistic with an NT partner, or NT with an autistic partner; our child or children are all autistic or BAP 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
I am autistic with an NT partner, or NT with an autistic partner; our child or children are all NT 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
I am autistic with an NT partner, or NT with an autistic partner; we have multiple children who include both NT and autistic children 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am BAP with an NT partner, or NT with a BAP partner; our child or children are all autistic or BAP 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
I am BAP with an NT partner, or NT with a BAP partner; our child or children are all NT 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am BAP with an NT partner, or NT with a BAP partner; we have multiple children who include both NT and autistic children 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
My partner and I are both NT; our child or children are all autistic or BAP 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
My partner and I are both NT; our child or children are all NT 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
My partner and I are both NT; we have multiple children who include both NT and autistic children 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 11:47 am

I'm curious about the likelihood of having an autistic child if one or more parents are autistic, so I'm putting up a poll for you guys. BAP, by the way, refers to the broader autism phenotype - in other words, a person who has autistic traits but not enough to qualify for the diagnosis. They might have another condition such as ADHD or OCD, or they might not be diagnosed with anything.

As for autistic, I'm using that to refer to anyone on the autism spectrum, whether you have an official diagnosis or not.

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 1:35 pm

I voted but I want add something because I think it matters in our case. So I am NT and my husband is diagnosed with autism. We have two kids and both are autistic. But while I am NT (not even BAP I don't think?), I think autism still runs on my side of the family. I doubt both of my kids would be profoundly autistic if autism didn't run in my family. IOW, I don't think it all came from my husband, which I left my vote, it would kind of look like that.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 3:31 pm

A lot of older folks (like me) are self-diagnosed. Also, my husband would insist he is NT, but I think he's BAP.
These kind of gray areas make it difficult to answer precisely.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 3:39 pm

You missed the option of two BAP parents, so I picked BAP and NT, but could just as easily have picked autistic and BAP ...

I like the fairly recent addition of the BAP definition. That makes it easier for us parents who can identify with our ASD kids but really have no idea if we are ASD ourselves, and don't plan to find out.

Oh, and the option of having an ASD child and a BAP child ... we think that may be the case with our kids, although who knows; I do generally refer to my daughter as NT, although every so often she does something to make us wonder ... still, she is ACE at reading non-verbal communication, so NT it must be.

I have zero doubt that there is a strong genetic component in ASDs, btw, but I do see room for environmental triggers and factors.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 3:41 pm

I am not sure what to vote for. I am ASD with a husband with brain damage and three different learning disabilities and several doctors had also told him he showed signs of autism and both our kids are NT.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 8:38 pm

Ettina wrote:
I'm curious about the likelihood of having an autistic child if one or more parents are autistic, so I'm putting up a poll for you guys.

This method will answer a question about the people who read this board. It will not provide any useful data about the likelihood of having an autistic child.