Multitasked Vs. Single Tasked Thinking. some crazy theory!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

omid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2015, 4:03 pm

I just realized how I can only think about a single thing at one time, and how this has caused me HUUUUGE problems in my life. It may very well apply to you as well. Realizing this has very much ENLIGHTENED me and I'm working really hard to overcome this. I can literally feel the new synapses being formed.
I'm posting this because I believe if if this hasn't accrued to some of you yet, it may help you guys a great deal. I kind of feel like the guy in the movie limitless. ok like a tiny fraction but it was surly a huge eye opener.

It happened when I realized that I most of the time I do not understand fully what my Mom (who is an NT and obviously a female) is talking about when she talkes about certain stuff (philosophy, psychology, Asperger's etc..) Normally I wouldn't know I don't get her because I got the words and their meaning. But at some point I thought wait a minute, she talks about several stuff, all at the same time, which are unrelated is she schizophrenic? No she is not. turned out the stuff are related. And because my mind is set to think about exactly ONE subject at one time, and change subject only every 10 minutes at the very minimum, I would not get her and would think she talks jiberrish. In reality she was talking about 4-6 different aspects of the same subject. the way it has to be. completely sane, completely coherent, completely logical.
This is the way her brain works. Different aspects of one thoughts. Like 5 different Ideas. Like a computer running 5 different Processes in multi-tasking mode:

This is how my brain works, Obsessing on one Idea at one time, and just caring about breathing and such beyond that.

This crap gives rise to all kind of problems. like OCD. when you think about just one thing, at 150% capacity of your poor brain, chances are you drive yourself crazy. Because at that moment that's the only thing that exists in your tiny world. Example: when you think at 150% capacity about your Aspeger's and how bad it is and nothing else, then your prooobably are going to get preeety depressed. but if you think 50% about your asperger's and 50% about what you're going to do about it then you won't go as much crazy.

The other thing is, When you are doing it the way I put it above (just thinking about one thing at a time), you are missing something very VERY important.
You cannot connect the stuff, put them in relation, get conclusions out of them, compare them and develop new stuff. and you get stuck! basically you can't do THIS: because there is no more than ONE thought there to begin with!

Let me give you an example. I was really thinking very hard lately about which place I should live. I would think very hard about advantages and disadvantages of one place at one time. then I would think of advantages and disadvantages of one place at the other time, maybe seconds apart! but my brain didn't have the capacity to hold these data (advantages and disadvantages of all 3 places) present at the same time simultaneously (or it just didn't accrue to me that it's possible). Now somehow I can do that and making up my mind is much easier. (It's kind of like I've got a new thinking organ or tool I never had.)
I believe It's also the reason why I believe I'm dumber than dirt and everyone thinks I'm super smart. I'm like an encyclopedia right? But I can't make no connections because I can only think about one subject at a time! (look at the graphs). I'm one of those old encyclopedias made of paper. not wikipedia with all those hyper-links and all.
But it's subject to change and is in fact, changing!
NEUROPLASTICITY IS NO MYTH.
Maybe works for you too. I believe it's working for me.
hope it helps.

Possibly Aspie (diagnosed by an autism expert, doc moves abroad, forced to change docs and all say it's schizophrenia NOS or schizo-affective disorde or personality disorders. initial doc was a colleague of uncle Simon btw. you do the math.). (edit: by Uncle Simon I mean Simon Baron Cohen. Just to clear things up.)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 9:28 pm

I hope this discovery truly is helpful for you. I know I have a lot of problems with people expecting me to multitask all the time.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

steelysunshine
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jul 2015, 9:36 pm

Interesting, I don't multitask either. Except when people are blabbering on about some personal problem. Then I think about more interesting things, while I nod an say uh huh.