Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 1:41 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Ahh ... liberals. They care so much about women, racial minorities and homosexuals. There's nothing wrong with that.

Liberals care about them because most of the vote democrat so thier is an incentive and they are taking care of thier own..

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. I don't vote nor am I even registered Democrat, but perhaps we care a bit more about women, racial minorities and homosexuals because we live in a country which perpetuates sexism, racism, homophobia and wage inequality to dangerous extents where rape and hate crimes have become daily topics in the news. Maybe the rights of rich white men in a country founded by rich white men are somewhat insignificant compared to women living with the threat of rape, minorities living with the threat of being killed by people with racist ideologies or LGBT persons living with groups actively working to take basic rights away from them. This doesn't negate the struggles of white people living in poverty, nor does it even take any focus away from the disabled. The fact that the basic components of altruism or human compassion need to be unnecessarily politicized is disgusting to me.

Well actually people with mental disorders are a pretty marginalized group, it is just as serious as issues facing women, racial minorities and homosexuals. Statistically more likely to end up in abusive relationships, be assualted/raped, be systematically abused like by the system/police than the general population...so the problems faced by mentally ill individuals or people with neurological conditions cannot really be put on the same level as 'First world white man problems'. Not to mention a lot of people with mental disorders/neurological conditions fall into other minorities to. Mentally ill can live with the threat of being shot to death when in crisis by trigger happy police officers, being over-drugged/facing abusive treatment in hospitals(of course that is not legal but it does happen) or should someone with a mental condition end up in prison(since much of the time they are passed over to the legal system rather than getting treatment) they can face abuse from fellow prisnors and guards....did you hear about the guy in prison he was either LFA or had an intellectual disability that they basically steamed alive in the shower as punishment for smearing feces(I don't know why a person like this was in a prison cell to begin with they should have been somewhere safe) but did you hear about him? Or the scizophrenic teen who had a psychotic episode and whilst he was subdued by two police officers bigger than him a third one shot him in the head in front of his parents?

Not trying to rant, but it is an issue kind of personal to me since I struggle with autism..mental illness and have been hospitalized, luckily I have not been mistreated(though it was a fear of mine both times that i could end up in that unlucky situation). I guess I'd think most who'd identify as liberal or anything like it would take the issues facing the mentally ill just as seriously as the afore mentioned ones.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 1:46 pm

Raptor wrote:
Go visit an Islamic country then come back and talk about women's and LGBT rights. We live in a paradise.

Having a place exist that is worse than the one you are in does not actually magically turn the place you are in, into a paradise. Though you might feel like that if you take the right drugs.... :|

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 2:09 pm

Raptor wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Raptor wrote:
If they claim to care it's likely with some ulterior motive.
[citation needed]
I fixed your post with what I think you were actually trying to convey, seeing as how you love to make statements then insult people who call you on them.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 2:13 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Not trying to rant, but it is an issue kind of personal to me since I struggle with autism..mental illness and have been hospitalized, luckily I have not been mistreated(though it was a fear of mine both times that i could end up in that unlucky situation). I guess I'd think most who'd identify as liberal or anything like it would take the issues facing the mentally ill just as seriously as the afore mentioned ones.

Nobody's not fighting for mental health advocacy; in fact, that's become a hot-button topic in recent years. It doesn't receive as much media attention, but that doesn't mean there aren't people and organizations actively working for mental health rights.

Conservatives have been notoriously harmful to mental health services. Ronald Reagan eliminated Carter's Mental Health Systems Act, which effectively eliminated services for mentally ill people and resulted in a catastrophe of de-institutionalization for thousands of mentally ill people. Heck, even last week, Texas governor Greg Abbott vetoed a bill for mental health services because he believes mental illness isn't real (he was backed by Scientologist organization Citizens Commission on Human Rights).

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 2:15 pm

What do you want from them? I don't want anything.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 2:15 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Nobody's not fighting for mental health advocacy; in fact, that's become a hot-button topic in recent years. It doesn't receive as much media attention, but that doesn't mean there aren't people and organizations actively working for mental health rights.

Conservatives have been notoriously harmful to mental health services. Ronald Reagan eliminated Carter's Mental Health Systems Act, which effectively eliminated services for mentally ill people and resulted in a catastrophe of de-institutionalization for thousands of mentally ill people. Heck, even last week, Texas governor Greg Abbott vetoed a bill for mental health services because he believes mental illness isn't real (he was backed by Scientologist organization Citizens Commission on Human Rights).

Hence part of the reason I am not a conservative/republican...that and that whole War on Drugs thing, and their general apathy towards social issues/injustices in general as long as they have the illusion 'this is a free country godd**n it'. And there are a number of other reasons as well.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 2:25 pm

Raptor wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Raptor wrote:
[citation needed]

Here's your "citation".

Even though they named a car after a traffic ticket, it's still a better name than 'Cruze'... :lol:

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 2:29 pm

As a matter of fact, as people with high functioning autism are often on Disability and/or SSI - which were the creations of liberals - I'd say that liberals are doing a lot for our tribe. And at least they aren't actively trying to harm us like conservatives are, such as when they attempt to cut social programs many autistics depend on, or when they out-and-out deny the existence of high functioning autism, like Michael Savage (a real Wiener), have.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Jul 2015, 4:52 pm

Aaaaaaand now this is a "let's bash people who give themselves different political labels" thread.

If we could please try to stay on topic? And if you're not capable of having a sensible discussion about liberals/conservatives/libertarians/communists/Martian Independence Fighters without throwing mud at them, please just refrain from commenting.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 4:57 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Aaaaaaand now this is a "let's bash people who give themselves different political labels" thread.
it's been that since the third post

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 9:03 pm

The_Walrus wrote:

If we could please try to stay on topic? And if you're not capable of having a sensible discussion about liberals/conservatives/libertarians/communists/Martian Independence Fighters without throwing mud at them, please just refrain from commenting.

I think you're probably referring to me. Well, in all honesty, everything I wrote about Michael Savage is true, right down to his real name being Michael Wiener. As far as conservatives wanting to cut programs many Aspies and other autistics need to survive - well, I think that's only a matter of record. Though I do understand as well as anyone how political discussions can turn into verbal slugfests.

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 9:27 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Ahh ... liberals. They care so much about women, racial minorities and homosexuals. There's nothing wrong with that. I just wish that more liberals cared about high-functioning autistics. I've noticed that liberals almost never talk about our rights.

I once to r/suicidewatch. An aspie there spoke about his life story there and some jackass told him to kill himself. Where is the liberal outrage?

Please define "liberal". I am not being ignorant or facetious, but there are many people of a range of forms of progressive opinion that could be so described who would regard each other as conservative due to differences on a specific issue (for one thing, the more conservative of the main parties in Australia, my own homeland, is actually called the Liberal Party - well, they govern as a coalition with the Nationals, but the latter are a rural conservative party that has been in coalition with the Liberal Party for decades). Also, I am not sure if you can condemn such a diverse and ill-defined group as "liberals" for not being outraged about our specific neurological status. Bullying, depression and suicide do not discriminate; these affect neurotypicals and non-Aspergian autistic people as well, so I am not entirely sure what precisely you are asking these amorphous "liberals" to do to express their outrage that would actually help - many individual liberals are already outraged, but to some extent one can only vent one's fury on so many social justice issues affecting specific but diverse groups of humanity before either compassion fatigue sets in or the debate gets shut down by an almost equally ill-defined group of "conservatives" starts ranting about "liberals" and "political correctness" and apparently "freedom of speech" until their "liberal" opponents are either silenced, equally annoyed and argumentative, or accused of treason. I am sorry if this all sounds unduly cynical, and obviously there is no excuse to inaction on issues such as numbers of humans killing themselves, but that is not an epidemic exclusively affecting those with Asperger's Syndrome or other forms of autism, and I am not certain how helpful it would be to frame the debate in that way, though obviously awareness of issues specifically affecting those of us on the Autistic Spectrum, including Aspies, needs to be raised, along with the many pressing needs of our time.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 9:38 pm

cberg wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Raptor wrote:
[citation needed]

Here's your "citation".

Even though they named a car after a traffic ticket, it's still a better name than 'Cruze'... :lol:

Citation was a name of a racehorse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxDSsqy02XY though the car never came close to living up to that name.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Jul 2015, 5:37 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

I think you're probably referring to me.

You have been far from the worst offender in this conversation.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 10:34 am

The_Walrus wrote:

Not sure there is a way to stop political mud slinging on the internet....especially since liberals are worse than the devil according to fox news or any other right wing biased major news source, or visit the politics/philosophy section of this site or just be walking around and hear about how evil liberals are when picking up on random conversation between more conservative leaning people.

It is curious though typically the site moderators don't criticize mudslinging of this nature unless it becomes outright harassment(though seems sometimes that level of it is allowed or at least nothing is done) so you're a first who has expressed a desire to tackle this kind of thing here.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 10:49 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

I think you're probably referring to me. Well, in all honesty, everything I wrote about Michael Savage is true, right down to his real name being Michael Wiener. As far as conservatives wanting to cut programs many Aspies and other autistics need to survive - well, I think that's only a matter of record. Though I do understand as well as anyone how political discussions can turn into verbal slugfests.

It is actually true that the conservative/republican party has expressed desire to cut/get rid of government programs that many on autism depend on, of course the poor and people with other disabilites also depend on some of these(though anyone with autism on SSI is poor by default because guess what your income keeps you below the poverty line)..but yeah its not the liberals that express desires to cut these kind of programs or expressing sentiment against such 'useless' segments of the population that need government programs. At least I take it to mean you where discussing politicians/people active in politics that are conservative republican like the party....rather than claiming any and all self identified conservatives/republicans would want such things cut or have such sentiments.

Basically you didn't say anything that's not true...or make any smart a** remarks about conservatives(as an entire group), just told it like it is. I don't see the issue.